IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Acura TL SH-AWD vs IS-350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-13, 07:49 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For the OP, the one advantage the Acura may have over the Lexus is that it allows you to program the nav and settings while driving (at least if they haven't changed it since my '04 TL). That scores a lot of points with some people. You should check it out to make sure that is still the case.
Old 02-07-13, 10:07 PM
InfamousQ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
For the OP, the one advantage the Acura may have over the Lexus is that it allows you to program the nav and settings while driving (at least if they haven't changed it since my '04 TL). That scores a lot of points with some people. You should check it out to make sure that is still the case.
There's a 2nd advantage the Acura has is the clutch & H pattern shifter, which makes it a true drivers car
At least for the AWD 3.7L engine with 305hp.

Last edited by InfamousQ; 02-07-13 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 12:02 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
There's a 2nd advantage the Acura has is the clutch & H pattern shifter, which makes it a true drivers car
At least for the AWD 3.7L engine with 305hp.
I concur.
Old 02-11-13, 12:27 AM
D&G
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jinmui
I own a lexus IS but the new TL doesn't look that bad when its modded...

Those are sick TL's. My buddy drives one and I must say the comfort and interior is on par. Performance is pretty good. A very quick car.
Old 02-11-13, 10:42 PM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dseag2
Sadly this capability is going away in new generation Acuras. I think they are giving into the lawyers. There will be some voice commands you can do while the car is in motion, and I think you will be able to select new addresses that are already in your address book (via voice) but new destinations or searches will be locked out. At least until someone finds a bypass like after market products for Lexus navs.
Old 02-12-13, 08:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TXDriver
Sadly this capability is going away in new generation Acuras. I think they are giving into the lawyers. There will be some voice commands you can do while the car is in motion, and I think you will be able to select new addresses that are already in your address book (via voice) but new destinations or searches will be locked out. At least until someone finds a bypass like after market products for Lexus navs.
We have that capability in the Lexus (although the voice commands in the GS suck), so Advantage Zero for Acura.
Old 02-24-13, 11:55 AM
Crester
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InfamousQ
The IS350/GS350 AWD setup is basically rear wheel biased, 70 rear/30 front (similar to a lamborghini). If you do lots of drifting on snow or wet surfaces, the rear will kick out, when it does, power is sent more to the front wheels to pull the vehicle from spinning out. Power distribution to the wheels can be transferred up to 50/50 (snow mode is 50/50 on top of increased electronic nannies).

Engine layout in the IS/GS is longitudinal so weight is dispersed slightly better & less noise heavy compared to FWD architecture. The arrangement of it is similar to RWD performance car.

Infiniti & Nissan GT-R ATTESSA-ETS awd systems are similar to the lexus rear biased AWD, only difference is 0F/100R, when slippage is detected, power distrubtion can reach 50F/50R. Engine layout is front midship longitudinal, so majority of the engine/tranny sits behind the front axle, which gives their cars 53/47 front to rear weight standing still, under hard acceleration, weight becomes 50/50 which is ideal according to nissan engineers. It's what makes the GT-R what it is (note: R35 GT-R has a transaxle transmission, means the transmission is on the rear axle compared to transmission up front like the rest of infiniti's lineup).

Acura on the other hand is the opposite, front wheel biased at 70 front/30 rear, power transfer can be delivered up to 70% rear, to help the car oversteer. The engine arrangement is transversed, which means the engine either sits in front of the front axle or above it (typical engine layout for front wheel drive), so with a vehicle based on FWD platform, understeer is typical & weight biased is in the vacinity of 60F40R.

Subaru's awd differs from front & rear biased AWD system, dubbed "Symmetrical AWD", subarus system is a balance 50/50 all the time, but can distribute power front to back, side to side to the tires with the most traction, & it's mainly mechanical setup.
Thanks for the detailed explanation... I had no idea Nissan's AWD system could send so much power to the rear wheels.