IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 08:15 PM
LexFather

From what I heard last week the rear will have a strong character line flowing from the bottom of the door to over the rear wheel into the trunk/spoiler...

I have not seen pics

Old 04-16-12, 08:54 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
From what I heard last week the rear will have a strong character line flowing from the bottom of the door to over the rear wheel into the trunk/spoiler...

I have not seen pics
You're making me excited, 1sick.
Old 04-16-12, 09:32 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I have not seen pics
Not sure if want? This makes me think of the trend today of creating strong creases down the side, which if done right is quite nice and dynamic, like in the last BMW 3 coupe and new BMW 5. However, it has to be tasteful and not overdone unlike some of the recent implementations we've seen on other cars (ahem Hyundai and the new Impala). But I'm sure Lexus can do it!
Old 04-17-12, 03:29 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think they are just testing a new power train. In 2010, we have already seen the same mule pics, and two years later, we are still with the mule testing? That's nonsense.

I expect to have its debut this fall.
Old 04-17-12, 03:33 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
A mule like this is usually the best indicator for any dimension changes in the car, and it doesn't look like the IS will be changing much.

Yep, as I've been saying all along, that's the new IS, and it seems to be little more than the current model with a spindle grill MCE, which is disappointing. Or not, considering I really like the look of the current IS but wish it was a bit more aggressive up front.
Thanks for providing the pics. You've been a great help concerning these upcoming models, especially this one. I labeled them (C)2012 Mr. Burns on the bottom of the full-color IS pics, so that they will always be identifiable in case news media begins to pick up on them like the LS teaser.

I'd say that it's more of an evolutionary redesign as many of us know that facelifts at times can design-wise be precursors to the next generation models. Looking at the UCF30/31 facelift, one can see how it somewhat influenced the current LS(USF40/41-45/46). On that update designed in 2002 for the 2004 model year, the headlights and grille became much sharper than the original UCF30/31 from 2000. All the facelift design elements were later incorporated on the then in-development 2007 LS.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 04-17-12 at 04:11 AM.
Old 04-17-12, 03:54 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mule, or not, this is definitely not a rendition of what the new IS *might* look like, not even close. This is a current body style IS, plain and simple.
Old 04-17-12, 06:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Toyota’s method of testing new car models on public roads involves using the current generation’s body over the new platform (engine, transmission, suspension) until the very last moment before the new model’s introduction; we won’t likely see a camouflaged new IS until a few weeks before it is due to be revealed. Unless, that is, we get grainy spy photos of the new model from a dealer introduction or Chinese photographs.

Using the current model as a test mule does give us a chance to judge the dimensional changes to the new model.
  • If the wheels on the current-generation test mule come out closer to, or out past the edge of, the fender line, we know the track is wider (and the car will likely be wider also).
  • If there are unsightly gaps in the front or rear fascia, like between the headlights and the grill or the rear lights and the trunk cut-line, we know that the car will be a little wider.
  • If there seems to be a wider B-pillar or what seems to be a wider rear door, we know that the wheelbase will be longer. And similarly, if we see what seems to be a shorter rear door, we know that the wheelbase will be shorter.
This is what I see from this test mule with the current generation (2IS) body:
  • There is a gap between the front fascia (grill) and the hood. This may be a longer front overhang on the 3IS or perhaps a longer front end (from front fascia/bumper to base of the windshield).
  • There may also be a longer rear bumper. Does anybody else see this? This may be a longer rear overhang or it may mean a slightly longer car.
  • Is there a wider B-pillar or do my eyes deceive me? If so, the wheelbase has probably been lengthened a bit.
Does anybody see anything else different?
Old 04-17-12, 09:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota’s method of testing new car models on public roads involves using the current generation’s body over the new platform (engine, transmission, suspension) until the very last moment before the new model’s introduction
translation: this thread and those pics tells us absolutely nothing.
Old 04-17-12, 02:21 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

SAY NO to SPINDLE Fascia !!

If the "Spindle" look is the new face of Lexus, I'm buying a 2012 model because i won't be buying a new design for atleast One Generation!
Old 04-17-12, 02:27 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Toyota’s method of testing new car models on public roads involves using the current generation’s body over the new platform (engine, transmission, suspension) until the very last moment before the new model’s introduction; we won’t likely see a camouflaged new IS until a few weeks before it is due to be revealed. Unless, that is, we get grainy spy photos of the new model from a dealer introduction or Chinese photographs.

Using the current model as a test mule does give us a chance to judge the dimensional changes to the new model.
  • If the wheels on the current-generation test mule come out closer to, or out past the edge of, the fender line, we know the track is wider (and the car will likely be wider also).
  • If there are unsightly gaps in the front or rear fascia, like between the headlights and the grill or the rear lights and the trunk cut-line, we know that the car will be a little wider.
  • If there seems to be a wider B-pillar or what seems to be a wider rear door, we know that the wheelbase will be longer. And similarly, if we see what seems to be a shorter rear door, we know that the wheelbase will be shorter.
This is what I see from this test mule with the current generation (2IS) body:
  • There is a gap between the front fascia (grill) and the hood. This may be a longer front overhang on the 3IS or perhaps a longer front end (from front fascia/bumper to base of the windshield).
  • There may also be a longer rear bumper. Does anybody else see this? This may be a longer rear overhang or it may mean a slightly longer car.
  • Is there a wider B-pillar or do my eyes deceive me? If so, the wheelbase has probably been lengthened a bit.
Does anybody see anything else different?
My only thing is that for some reason, companies like Mercedes-Benz and BMW will be seen testing their upcoming up to 2-3 years before their release, yet the TMC puts out test mules or prototypes up to only 6 months prior. Why is that exactly? Are most of these future vehicles tested in Japan, but locals do not care to snap them?
Old 04-17-12, 02:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
My only thing is that for some reason, companies like Mercedes-Benz and BMW will be seen testing their upcoming up to 2-3 years before their release, yet the TMC puts out test mules or prototypes up to only 6 months prior. Why is that exactly? Are most of these future vehicles tested in Japan, but locals do not care to snap them?
Toyota has their own test track at Onnebetsu, Shibetsu City, Japan. It's pretty top secret out there, so no one, and I mean NO ONE, snaps pics without Toyota knowing anything about it.
Old 04-17-12, 06:41 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may note that from the image below that there doesn't seem to be a separator bar on the spindle grill:

Attachment 502358

The rather Audi-esque horizontal chrome bars seem to extend to the bottom.
Old 04-17-12, 06:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was hoping for a coupe.
Old 04-17-12, 10:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
I was hoping for a coupe.
It's coming. Probably keeping tight wraps on that one. Sedan will surely be released first. There's rumor of a wagon too
Old 04-17-12, 10:56 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

^I sure hope those coupe rumors are true!!!

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit