IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BRAKE_SW fuse blowing intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 11:05 PM
HedOvrWhls
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default BRAKE_SW fuse blowing intermittently

So I have a 2010 IS350C I bought in November 2020. Had remote start installed December 2020. In March 2021 my BRAKE_SW fuse began blowing intermittently. Most of the time it will be when I get in the car for the first time to turn it on the green light on the start button just isn't there but it has happened twice while driving (both times under heavy-ish braking, I hear a click and the ABS, BRAKE, traction lights come on). It sometimes won't happen all week but I have also had it happen 4 times in 6 hours. Each time it happens my brake lights, ABS, traction control, shifter all do not work and the car will not start up again with the blown fuse. Two mechanics have advised me to disconnect the remote start but every remote start shop I have called told me the system doesn't even tap into that circuit at all and it isn't possible for it to cause this issue. The shop that did it double checked their work and said it is correct. It works perfectly and the issue only came up 4 months after the install so I doubt that is it. I have ordered a new brake light switch and will be installing it once the body shop that has it now gives it back, if that doesn't work I'll try disconnecting the remote start, does anyone have any other ideas? I downloaded the wiring diagram from TIS and found two relays, BRK-LP and stop light control on that circuit as well, should I try replacing them? If it ends up being a short on the wire is it even worth it or should I just unload the car yesterday?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-21, 01:00 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by HedOvrWhls
So I have a 2010 IS350C I bought in November 2020. Had remote start installed December 2020. In March 2021 my BRAKE_SW fuse began blowing intermittently. Most of the time it will be when I get in the car for the first time to turn it on the green light on the start button just isn't there but it has happened twice while driving (both times under heavy-ish braking, I hear a click and the ABS, BRAKE, traction lights come on). It sometimes won't happen all week but I have also had it happen 4 times in 6 hours. Each time it happens my brake lights, ABS, traction control, shifter all do not work and the car will not start up again with the blown fuse. Two mechanics have advised me to disconnect the remote start but every remote start shop I have called told me the system doesn't even tap into that circuit at all and it isn't possible for it to cause this issue. The shop that did it double checked their work and said it is correct. It works perfectly and the issue only came up 4 months after the install so I doubt that is it. I have ordered a new brake light switch and will be installing it once the body shop that has it now gives it back, if that doesn't work I'll try disconnecting the remote start, does anyone have any other ideas? I downloaded the wiring diagram from TIS and found two relays, BRK-LP and stop light control on that circuit as well, should I try replacing them? If it ends up being a short on the wire is it even worth it or should I just unload the car yesterday?

Thanks!
You need to gather facts vs just listening to people. Granted "other installers" and the place that installed said there is no correlation, that doesn't mean the person who did do the work didn't tap something they shouldn't have as a source of power.

If it were mine, put eyes on the module and see what they really used and tie that back to the fuse and vehicle schematics.

This one won't be solved with assumptions. Make sense?
Old 05-24-21, 01:09 PM
HedOvrWhls
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
You need to gather facts vs just listening to people. Granted "other installers" and the place that installed said there is no correlation, that doesn't mean the person who did do the work didn't tap something they shouldn't have as a source of power.

If it were mine, put eyes on the module and see what they really used and tie that back to the fuse and vehicle schematics.

This one won't be solved with assumptions. Make sense?
Thanks for the input! Didn't even think of that... somehow... lol... the other shops had told me that when I asked them to look. I will have someone else look anyway.
Old 05-24-21, 01:20 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
that doesn't mean the person who did do the work didn't tap something they shouldn't have as a source of power
This makes a ton of sense. I'm not an electrician, but an overloaded circuit is one cause for a fuse being blown. So unless you developed a short or fault somewhere, the best place to start looking is additional power being tapped from the same power source