ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Short shifter project for 2IS complete and a success (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/935007-short-shifter-project-for-2is-complete-and-a-success.html)

soulific 01-02-20 02:41 PM

Short shifter project for 2IS complete and a success

I have been wanting to post this thread but got caught up with holidays... I’ve been working on a short shifter idea for a while, as I was unhappy with the stock manual shifter on the 2is, and even the Fsport quick shifter wasn’t that great and short shifting. The 2is is a beautifully designed car, but after a while i regretted choosing it over a manual is300.

I was seriously at a point of selling the car from being that unhappy with the shifting feel...

Shifting is now awesome and has now improved even over the fsport quick shifter! Shifting was sluggish, and now it’s tight, notchy, and surgical like. It made my clutch response/control better also. Something with being in gear and letting go at the right time now in the right rpm rather then playing catch up with changing gears. It feels like a new car now! I test drove a STI with a factory short shifter while entertaining the idea of getting a new car last month, and the IS250 feels better than that now. Im not even thinking of a new car now...

I’ve made a limited few and installed some on a few other manual 2is’s and the same positive response.

Stock shifter throw from 1st to 2nd gear was 4 inches... Now it’s under 2.4 inches! I was amazed, I have some videos but gotta upload onto YouTube before sharing.

I spent a lot of time, effort, and even money on making this reality. Very proud of the result. The shifter adaptor came out amazing, Milled perfectly, and anodized/zinc plated where needed. The machinist I used to make my design reality, does freelance work for Space X and other big companies. So the same machine that made this short shifter, also made parts a components that went on space X's rockets that were launched.

So glad to say there is a short shifter available now for the 2IS. This is even a upgrade over the discontinued F sport quick shifter, as it shifts even shorter by around 5%. If anyone is interested, I have 1 available on the marketplace, if you search the marketplace or google for "Raiden Industries Short shifter" it should pop up.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...09e1dc75e.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...66d732249.jpeg
STOCK SHIFT DISTANCE, 4 inches
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...b92aab634.jpeg
AFTER SHIRT SHIFTER INSTALLED , under 2.4 inches
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...cfee3ff41.jpeg
The install is actually quite easy, with a lift under 30 mins. Without a lift with a jack I'm guessing 1-1.5 hours max.

flowrider 01-02-20 04:12 PM

Congratulations - You did good:thumbup:

Lou

bbaugher47 01-03-20 02:41 AM

Why didn’t you measure from the same spot??

eddysoares 01-03-20 03:21 AM

mine arrives today. I can’t wait to get it on a lift and installed Monday.

idc who criticizes you or for what. A lot of people talked about re engineering that piece over the years but you did it dude. Thank you.

trujtru 01-03-20 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by bbaugher47 (Post 10696741)
Why didn’t you measure from the same spot??

I was thinking the same thing. My best guess is where the tape measure starts, is where 1st gear actually ends, which if there was a video of the shift, would be a better illustration.

Either way good job!

soulific 01-03-20 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by trujtru (Post 10696837)
I was thinking the same thing. My best guess is where the tape measure starts, is where 1st gear actually ends, which if there was a video of the shift, would be a better illustration.

Either way good job!

Photos were a screen shot from a video clip.

The video showed me measuring from 1st gear to second. 1st gear before installing the short shifter had a further gap and distance then when installed. So my point of starting measurement was different, as I showed the final measurement only.

Shifting from neutral to gear was 2 inches stock, and under 1.2 inches with my short shifter.

I’ll try posting the video this evening.

IS350mumba 01-03-20 11:47 AM

380usd and does not come with rubber boot as original fsport.

MikeFig82 01-03-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by IS350mumba (Post 10697137)

Well judging by the OP's post #1 a lot of R&D went into it. That being said it cost money to get parts machined, and CAD files to get drawn up.

I've done parts before, and luckily I have friends that will machine the parts for me. I've also sent out the same parts for outside quotes. Those quotes are always pretty pricey for a one time part run, or low quantity.

IS350mumba 01-03-20 12:04 PM

Looks like 99% of fsport copy to me.

eddysoares 01-03-20 01:27 PM

It’s tough for the expert to get out of the armchair.

soulific 01-03-20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by IS350mumba (Post 10697137)

I actually do have a rubber boot extension I designed that can go along with the shifter, but I find it pointless. In the three IS250's I installed this short shifter in, including mine. The stock outer boot was already torn/missing and not even there when i went to install.

Over time it tears/falls off I suppose, and who knows how long it was missing for? 3-4 years maybe, while all this time the driver never notices and has no effect on the function or integrity, unless your driving in 2 feet of mud and water all day... There is also extra protection from head shield that sits below it.

The part is aircraft grade aluminum so won't rust regardless, and its anodized to further protect from elements and corrosion. The internal pieces are zinc plated for extra protection. So really having a boot isn't really a big concern, a thick coat of grease over the part/component would protect it the same.

As far as the cost, Im not Toyota. Even the mass produced Fsport part was around $380-$400 before shipping and tax , some people got it for cheaper when it was plentiful but thats the average price.

From my design/drawing, rendering, programming of the model, sampling, sample testing, creation of the part, plating..... It does cost money. I also took a lot of time out to create this and I know what my time is worth, but didnt even add that into the equation

Im not in my garage cutting these out on a jigsaw and gluing them together, while having a few beers... This is a quality part....

soulific 01-23-20 04:01 AM

Finally got time to upload the video of the shifting distance. Ive sold the majority of the first production and all customers are happy with the short shifter.

lilasiian8 01-23-20 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by soulific (Post 10714607)
Finally got time to upload the video of the shifting distance. Ive sold the majority of the first production and all customers are happy with the short shifter.

https://youtu.be/Gl9FIxBzd3c

Thanks for making these!!! The short shifter improved the feeling and distance of the throws. It’s pricey but totally worth it.

gone2morro 01-23-20 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by soulific (Post 10697385)
I actually do have a rubber boot extension I designed that can go along with the shifter, but I find it pointless. In the three IS250's I installed this short shifter in, including mine. The stock outer boot was already torn/missing and not even there when i went to install.

Over time it tears/falls off I suppose, and who knows how long it was missing for? 3-4 years maybe, while all this time the driver never notices and has no effect on the function or integrity, unless your driving in 2 feet of mud and water all day... There is also extra protection from head shield that sits below it.

The part is aircraft grade aluminum so won't rust regardless, and its anodized to further protect from elements and corrosion. The internal pieces are zinc plated for extra protection. So really having a boot isn't really a big concern, a thick coat of grease over the part/component would protect it the same.

As far as the cost, Im not Toyota. Even the mass produced Fsport part was around $380-$400 before shipping and tax , some people got it for cheaper when it was plentiful but thats the average price.

From my design/drawing, rendering, programming of the model, sampling, sample testing, creation of the part, plating..... It does cost money. I also took a lot of time out to create this and I know what my time is worth, but didnt even add that into the equation

Im not in my garage cutting these out on a jigsaw and gluing them together, while having a few beers... This is a quality part....

soulific, Great job! I'm a 3d CAD designer and I can appreciate what you've made. People don't understand how many times you design, try, re-design, try, re-design, many times over to get it perfect. So many hrs. of R&D. So IF I had a manual trans, I'd gladly pay what you're asking.
Thanks for creating it, I hope you sell truck loads of them!

soulific 04-01-20 05:44 AM

Hope everyone is safe during this time. Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else is interested in a short shifter. I’m down to my last one in hand of the latest production.

Im trying to decide whether to produce more and continue production.