IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Re-installed radio, now no illumination

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 11:38 AM
Dave5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re-installed radio, now no illumination

Hey guys, I had taken my radio out to install a new Android radio. Turns out I'll need another harness so in the meantime I re-installed the factory radio (NAV) and now there are no interior lights (AC, radio, etc) at night, and the NAV doesn't auto-dim. Did I miss plugging in one of the cables? Or is there a setting somewhere that got reset?

Thanks!
Old 05-30-19, 06:31 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Does the buttons still work? Which Android are you trying to put on your car?
Old 05-30-19, 08:20 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave5150
Hey guys, I had taken my radio out to install a new Android radio. Turns out I'll need another harness so in the meantime I re-installed the factory radio (NAV) and now there are no interior lights (AC, radio, etc) at night, and the NAV doesn't auto-dim. Did I miss plugging in one of the cables? Or is there a setting somewhere that got reset?

Thanks!
Sounds like you didn't plig something in right. I did something like that when I was replacing my digitizer I had left the cable inside the headunit loose. So my illumination or buttons didn't work. I'd pull it a d double check it. This is why when I do anything electrical I leave everything apart check it and then put it together so I don't have to do 2x the work
Old 05-31-19, 04:55 AM
Dave5150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Does the buttons still work? Which Android are you trying to put on your car?
Yeah all the buttons still work. It's like it doesn't recognize when it's dark out. The Map screen stays bright and none of the buttons are backlit. I didn't notice until I was driving home at night for the first time since putting the factory radio back in.
Old 05-31-19, 05:00 AM
Dave5150
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xxmariolxx
Sounds like you didn't plig something in right. I did something like that when I was replacing my digitizer I had left the cable inside the headunit loose. So my illumination or buttons didn't work. I'd pull it a d double check it. This is why when I do anything electrical I leave everything apart check it and then put it together so I don't have to do 2x the work
Yeah I was going to do that. I just was wondering if anyone knew the exact plug that controlled lighting so I knew where to look first when getting it out.
Old 08-16-19, 02:52 PM
Rammyt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nightmare

Originally Posted by Dave5150
I don’t have a problem passing out my number to share things easier
Thanks!
I have had to pull mine out four times. The ac didn’t work. The radio had no sound. The wrong Canabus. Today the radio will not stop seeking. The rpm and mph does not work. The reverse camera is as I stated above. I’ve gotten to be a pro at installing and making this thing work. I’ve expressed my frustration after spending $749 and have not fixed my issues. One installer is doing what he can to help me but we have to wait on a engineer and then they are two hours behind me so they can help me !! This is nothing short of ridiculous for a supposed plug in play. I’m still waiting on the play. If anyone can give me easy instructions on the connection of the reverse camera ??? The wires are run just waiting to see where the wires connect. My truck was easy after installing a camera but for some reason this is not!!! Any help would be much appreciated. I will help with anything I can that i have experienced and fixed !! I’ve had dash lights pop up and found the remedy. I have a 08 is350 with the mark levison and Navi.

Last edited by Rammyt; 08-16-19 at 02:55 PM. Reason: More info
Old 10-01-19, 07:03 PM
cooljustin
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, newbie for Lexus here. I got the LS 460 off my father. I used to drive an Audi D3 W12 before. I absolutely love smoothness of the V8 engine and its reliability, but I have admit that it's electrical gadgets are quite outdated.
Cutting to the chest, I bite the bullet and bought this Chinese made Tesla like Screen. The screen may seem fancy by a glance, since they use the IPS panel (maybe LG?) its visibility is quite poor under the sun light during day times.

The main problem of this "Tesla like unit" is that all of these kind of products are manufactured by one factory and gets distributed by many sellers. Therefore, they make one unit for all system. - obviously our cars varies depending on the regions and what options you have.

I have repeatedly asked the compatibility of their product with the LS's ML sound system. - and they said yeahh yeahh no problem.

However, it turned out to be it is not true and the product requires an extensive cable customization (cutting and even some welding etc)

After installing this thing, I can no longer enjoy the sound. Their unit is not compatible with the ML system. Even if it does, I highly doubt that the audio sound would be that great nor playing all speakers.

I even have had an online live discussion with their engineers but they were telling me things that make absolutely no sense. They even told me to bring back the factory ML unit to connect one of their cables to be connected (which I did) in order to "initialize the factory amplifier." It didn't work.

After spending hours figuring out their nonsense, I've got very weary sick of their non sensible professional advice so have opened an order dispute yet they are refusing for a refund.

I've talked to the professional audio shop and they suggested to remove the entire ML system and install the aftermarket audio system, which I do not want.

Now I just want to ship this thing back to China and go back to the "Good old" ML system.

In short summary, stay the hell out of this Chinese junk.

Old 10-03-19, 01:18 PM
Rammyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cooljustin
Hi, newbie for Lexus here. I got the LS 460 off my father. I used to drive an Audi D3 W12 before. I absolutely love smoothness of the V8 engine and its reliability, but I have admit that it's electrical gadgets are quite outdated.
Cutting to the chest, I bite the bullet and bought this Chinese made Tesla like Screen. The screen may seem fancy by a glance, since they use the IPS panel (maybe LG?) its visibility is quite poor under the sun light during day times.

The main problem of this "Tesla like unit" is that all of these kind of products are manufactured by one factory and gets distributed by many sellers. Therefore, they make one unit for all system. - obviously our cars varies depending on the regions and what options you have.

I have repeatedly asked the compatibility of their product with the LS's ML sound system. - and they said yeahh yeahh no problem.

However, it turned out to be it is not true and the product requires an extensive cable customization (cutting and even some welding etc)

After installing this thing, I can no longer enjoy the sound. Their unit is not compatible with the ML system. Even if it does, I highly doubt that the audio sound would be that great nor playing all speakers.

I even have had an online live discussion with their engineers but they were telling me things that make absolutely no sense. They even told me to bring back the factory ML unit to connect one of their cables to be connected (which I did) in order to "initialize the factory amplifier." It didn't work.

After spending hours figuring out their nonsense, I've got very weary sick of their non sensible professional advice so have opened an order dispute yet they are refusing for a refund.

I've talked to the professional audio shop and they suggested to remove the entire ML system and install the aftermarket audio system, which I do not want.

Now I just want to ship this thing back to China and go back to the "Good old" ML system.

In short summary, stay the hell out of this Chinese junk.

I’m still going through problems. They have sent me another radio with another set if not the same problems. I love the way the radio looks but as far as dependability it’s the worse I have encountered. The basic functions of any cheap stereo do better than this one. If it can’t do it don’t put it as something you offer on it. I’ve requested my money several times with no success. They will not return your money so please don’t buy this product until they get the bugs worked out in other words make it a better quality. I’ve had to pull this radio out at least 7-10 times. Had to switch canabus cut wires new stereo and patch links sent to me !!! For $749 it should work flawlessly.
Old 10-21-19, 05:44 PM
Blahhhster
Driver School Candidate

Looks awesome! Unfortunately I see no recent updates or info on problems or installation. My question is is it compatible with current proprietary speaker system, subwoofer, and amplifiers already in the Lexus. My installer says this is where there may be a problem, but I suspect he might be wrong. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.
Old 10-22-19, 04:50 AM
Rammyt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blahhhster
Looks awesome! Unfortunately I see no recent updates or info on problems or installation. My question is is it compatible with current proprietary speaker system, subwoofer, and amplifiers already in the Lexus. My installer says this is where there may be a problem, but I suspect he might be wrong. Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.
Yes it works with the Levison system but I would tell anyone who is looking to buy one to avoid it. I have been trying to resolve my problems which started from day one for 3 months and the final result is they said the engineers have no answer. I have to ship mine back for a refund. It’s amazing what they charge for this cheap made product. The processor they use is the worst !! Please stay away from this radio. I would suggest trying Phoenix and not rhino.
Old 05-02-20, 01:00 AM
grafixfrh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the phoenix audio are importers of these exact same radios and are charging like $200 more for the same radio that can buy on Ali just buy it from XiaoHua GPS Store that's where the RX 400H model with Android 9 comes from that phoenix sells and at least XiaoHua GPS Store is the manufacturer not a middle man reseller like Phoenix. All of these units are from China and Phoenix is no more capable of handling the issues that arise more than the people who make the radio they are only sellers. The problem with after market products like these are that OEM devices like backup cameras and upgraded sound system amplifiers like the Levinson in my RX 400H are they are proprietary to certain systems of the car manufacturer and therefore hard to get the communication specs for them as well as electrical hookup schemes. The Lexus with the Levinson system seem to have routed so much of its communication system through the head unit that it is hard to know which systems will be affected by it's removal i've heard nothing but horror stories if try to upgrade sound with it in there because it ends up taking out far more than just the audio. If Toyota and Lexus would just give these manufacturers the information and schematics these issues would be gone and we would be able to upgrade and enjoy our new android systems. They also told me the same that it's compatible with Levinson, but not as far as I can tell from customer reviews none of these products have been Levinson friendly to date.