ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Radio Turns Off By Itself (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/918563-radio-turns-off-by-itself.html)

MolonLabe 05-14-19 07:49 AM

Radio Turns Off By Itself

Stock non-nav radio in my '13 IS250 keeps shutting off on it's own. The only thing I can think of is we had some body damage repaired on the front left fender & front bumper but I doubt this has anything to do with it. I've searched & can't find a solution.
I turn it in & it operates 100% normal. It could be 20 seconds later or an hour later but it just completely turns off. I can turn it right back on & repeat.

Ideas? Areas worth checking out?

MikeFig82 05-14-19 08:36 AM

Check the amp area for water, or moisture. Located in trunk right side facing engine. Lift the little tray up. The amp is under. Also search water in amp area Lexus is250/350.

MolonLabe 05-14-19 02:47 PM

I got a chance to remove the panel & check around/under the amp. It is bone dry in there & is obvious it hasn't been wet @ all in there..
I checked all fuses and as many grounds as I could find.
Any other suggestions?

2013FSport 05-16-19 08:48 AM

Does it have anything to do with input selection or volume level?
If induced by higher volume levels we pull the amp and open it.
If its simply time and unrelated to input or volume this could be more difficult.

Does it do it on all inputs, BT, radio, USB, etc?
Does the display change at all? Like volume settings go away, input settings?

What you need to figure out is it the amp or the H/U shutting down.

Next is cabin temperature. Is it temperature related.

Those come to mind....
@MolonLabe

MolonLabe 05-17-19 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10519017)
Does it have anything to do with input selection or volume level?
If induced by higher volume levels we pull the amp and open it.
If its simply time and unrelated to input or volume this could be more difficult.

Does it do it on all inputs, BT, radio, USB, etc?
Does the display change at all? Like volume settings go away, input settings?

What you need to figure out is it the amp or the H/U shutting down.

Next is cabin temperature. Is it temperature related.

Those come to mind....
@MolonLabe

1) No it doesn't matter what setting it's on.
2) Yes, the display goes to black like it's completely turned off.
3) Cabin temp. does not matter. It's been mid 50's up to mid 90's in the interior, no difference.
Looking forward to more questions and/or input to get this resolved. Thanks!

2013FSport 05-17-19 11:52 AM

Before it completely dies, try this. The fact that your HU display turns off, leads me to think it is the HU.

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10402363)
Anyone wanting more info about their audio, Nav, Amp, or anything else in the center;

With engine on, vehicle stopped, turn the light switch to OFF. Press and hold the Info button and turn the light switch on then off 3 times. The touch screen will go into a new mode offering options for equipment versions, hardware versions and diagnostic features. You will also find settings for mic input and bluetooth volumes. Could be helpful if someone can't hear you.

Here are some crappy pictures. Units with Nav will have more options.
Turn the key off when done.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8837259941.gif

MolonLabe 05-17-19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10520080)
Before it completely dies, try this. The fact that your HU display turns off, leads me to think it is the HU.

Mine doesn't have a screen like that. I have the one w/out navigation or back-up camera.

2013FSport 05-17-19 04:10 PM

Does it ever display any errors? Loading?
You can try rebooting the system. Push and hold down the power button, turn ignition on, continue holding for ten seconds or so.

This could also make it worse potentially.

MolonLabe 05-17-19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10520303)
Does it ever display any errors? Loading?
You can try rebooting the system. Push and hold down the power button, turn ignition on, continue holding for ten seconds or so.

This could also make it worse potentially.

I have not seen it display any errors. What do you mean "loading?"?
I guess I'll try to reboot it.

Meow 09-03-22 01:55 PM

Molenlabe or 2013 f support, was this ever resolved?My daughter just bought a 2013 is250 no nav or back up cam and the radio shuts down, randomly.

primavera 09-03-22 05:15 PM

Mine does the same thing once in a while. I very much believe it's the temperate, as it randomly happens on a very hot or very cold wintery day.
Extreme heat has a negative effect on electronics, it's called thermal degradation.
Laptops (and computers) do the same thing, they turn off when overheated especially when the fans and heat sink are covered with dust. Ever had your laptop turned off by itself when you left it running on your bed with the cooling vents covered?
Doing this for extended periods will most likely fry the motherboard, CPU or hard drive.
Keep in mind those are 10 year old + electronics, there's no fan running behind the radio-nav to cool things off. Built up heat from electronics, hot pavement, engine compartment needs to escape somewhere...
I wouldn't be surprised if that is a safety switch turning the radio off thus preventing it from overheating.
Let it cool off and see what happens.

Meow 09-03-22 06:10 PM

Thank you Primavera, we will try. It’s been very hot this week. Thank you again!