IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Replacing Factory Navigation Infotainment with Non-Nav

Old 05-13-19, 04:41 AM
MagnusAlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Factory Navigation Infotainment with Non-Nav

Like the title says, has anyone tried replacing the factory navigation infotainment with a non navigation infotainment? I'm not a fan of the infotainment that the car came with and I'm not impressed with the Grom vline2 that I recently purchased.

I'm wondering if I could replace my stock setup with this non-nav setup and then install a 2Dim aftermarket headunit.
Old 05-14-19, 02:34 PM
Dukesone
Driver School Candidate

I’m trying to do the opposite I have what you want and you have what I want. Lol
shoot me a pm.
Old 05-15-19, 10:21 AM
MagnusAlex
Driver School Candidate

Shame we can't just trade our infotainments.
Old 05-15-19, 12:01 PM
eteekay
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into this for awhile and from what I learned, it is not a simple plug and play between the two.
The harness and wiring between the two is so tightly coupled and causes issues.
Having the integrated AC seems to be the real problem here (someone correct me if I'm wrong please)

The only options I'm currently aware of for factory navigation equipped 2IS are:
  1. Beat Sonic's solution where you can mount a aftermarket double DIN headunit below your current factory nav screen
  2. GROM VLine which you already know
  3. Tesla-styled screen for 2IS
If someone has done it, I would LOVE to know how to go from factory nav -> non-nav so I can do the same lol.
Old 05-15-19, 09:37 PM
eframsal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There’s a DIY on doing it from non Nav to Nav. Wouldn’t it be the opposite where you switch the pins from the Nav harness and put the into a connector from a non Nav?
Old 05-29-19, 03:57 AM
MagnusAlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eframsal
There’s a DIY on doing it from non Nav to Nav. Wouldn’t it be the opposite where you switch the pins from the Nav harness and put the into a connector from a non Nav?
This is what I was hoping for but getting the wiring harnesses to play nice is the challenge here.
Old 05-31-19, 03:36 PM
mthornto88
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the same boat and very frustrated with the Navigation Unit. I have a shop that is going to try to do a custom install with the Metra kit to make it work. They are saying it can be done. It will be later this month. I will give an update hopefully when it is successful.
The following users liked this post:
Dukesone (05-31-19)
Old 05-31-19, 04:00 PM
MagnusAlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mthornto88
I am in the same boat and very frustrated with the Navigation Unit. I have a shop that is going to try to do a custom install with the Metra kit to make it work. They are saying it can be done. It will be later this month. I will give an update hopefully when it is successful.
If they get it working ask them if they're willing to ship the wire harness that they make.
Old 06-03-19, 04:15 AM
eframsal
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Instead of splicing the wires between the Nav harness and your dash harness, I got a connector from Toyota. Unfortunately they don’t sell it anymore. Splicing the wires is the hardest part. If you’re up to it I have the 3 plugs that go into the Nav unit.
Old 07-05-19, 12:42 PM
mthornto88
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I have some bad news. My shop attempted to do the install with the Metra kit. They had a support contract with them and worked over a week on it. They were able to connect everything except 4 wires. They had the sound working, heat working (although not reliably). It really came down to the airbag. They said Metra couldn’t tell them which wire to connect. They had diagrams and everything but still couldn’t figure it out. And they said there other shops across the country trying the same thing. One shop got past this and made all the connections. But they connected the airbag wire incorrect and set off all the airbags in the car. So in the end we backed out due to that safety issue.

It it really sucks that we can’t put in aftermarket stereo. I have ordered an android radio for now. I am hoping that I can use that wiring harness to make it work.
Old 10-29-19, 01:44 PM
Luke11
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, any update with this topic? I would like to buy is250 but I don't like navi, and most of the cars on auctions are with navi. Hard to find 2009+ F-sport with non-navi setup.
Old 10-31-19, 11:28 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe "velcro" an Android tablet over the screen?