IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

AWD ABS Reluctor or Tone Ring

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 04:04 PM
barefoot9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD ABS Reluctor or Tone Ring

2007 IS 250 AWD, dues anyone know where the tone or reluctor ring is located on the left front corner of this car? tia
Old 03-25-19, 07:51 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

A magnet type rotor is integrated into the wheel bearing assembly.

Jeff
Old 03-25-19, 09:31 AM
barefoot9
Driver School Candidate

Default abs tone ring

Jeff, thanks for the reply. I hope this doesn't seem rude to disagree, I realize you are trying to help me but today I looked on e-bay at the dicreptions and photos of half shafts and they show tone rings on the half shafts for this make and model, If you are positive on their placement I will have to investigate this furthar. It seems like the RWD cars have them in the wheel brg and the AWD cars are on the half shaft. I do appricate your assistance. Are you positive on your assessment? tia
Old 03-25-19, 10:01 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

You are correct. The diagram in the Lexus manual is a misleading/incorrect. The text above gives a better description stating only 2WD models use the active type speed sensor.

AWD ABS Reluctor or Tone Ring-rq23soj.png

The tone ring is on the axle for AWD models.

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
barefoot9 (03-26-19)
Old 03-25-19, 10:18 AM
barefoot9
Driver School Candidate

Default abs tone ring

Jeff, can't thank you enough for the update, now I feel content in ordering what I need. I have been in the background researching my cars various problems and found all my questions answered with very intelligent and to the point (and without the cynicism) responses. After 2-3 years I finally registered. The people and site are gold. Once again thanks a ton.
Foot

Old 03-25-19, 12:34 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to resolve but an observation on the rear is that during bearing replacement the axle end locates differently than the OEM bearing/hub assembly did and members end up with ABS errors at low speeds.
Some have fixed this by repositioning the pickup sensor through means of modifying the bolt hole and in another case opening up the hole in the knuckle where the sensor inserts.

One has to wonder if the spline depth of replacement bearing assembly is different thus move the tone ring a small amount and creating those low speed sensor errors.

Because the front axle placement on the AWD's could suffer this same fate, you might just look and verify the ring is evenly centered in the hole for the sensor to pickup data.
If not, we can entertain ways of correcting this.
Old 03-26-19, 03:55 PM
barefoot9
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
I've had multiple issues like a lot of users, the old abs vcr skid control cel lights you have probably heard them all or read about them on these forums. After a lot of hours of diagnostics and good old hard work, the last incurable problem I hope that has made us chase our tail has been a cracked or otherwise damaged reluctore ring. As far as alignment issues after looking down the barrel of these sensor holes, it's not surprising at all to find things out of alignment. Thanks for your comments information is power.
Thanks again Foot.