IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oil leak from dipstick seal and transmission output seal at 53k miles on IS 250WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 10:25 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak from dipstick seal and transmission output seal at 53k miles on IS 250WTF!!!

Has anyone else had this because I cannot find anyone else with the same issues as me at such low mileage. I am truly upset about this and wonder if any of this could have been caused by the engine TSB that I had performed on the car at 40k.
Old 03-18-19, 02:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The trans output shaft seal leak is not normal and would suck to have to replace (labor costs, boo!). What work did you have done to your car that you believe could have caused this shaft seal leak?
Old 03-18-19, 05:38 PM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
The trans output shaft seal leak is not normal and would suck to have to replace (labor costs, boo!). What work did you have done to your car that you believe could have caused this shaft seal leak?

Bone stock and always maintained at the dealer from where I bought it from. I opened up a case with Lexus so let’s see what they say. Still very disappointed in a car that has such low mileage and garage kept to start having leaks. Not to mention that they told me that the rear brake pads need replacement which was done with them 15k miles ago at the same dealership which they expect me to pay another $397 to replace. The brake pads I’ll probably do them myself this time since I’ll probably get rid of the car before the year ends. And to be honest I don’t think I’ll want another Lexus ever again. Between this and the engine piston replacement because of carbon buildup. This engine should have come out with the dual injection system like the 350 but since the bean counters didn’t want to spend any additional money they decided to gift us this crappy engine that they finally fixed by giving us the 200t with the dual system. Sorry for all the venting I’m just very frustrated considering the fact that the maintenance is not cheap but always done at the dealer so they can’t accuse me of damaging anything and to still have these kinds of issues is heartbreaking. If this were a German or American car I could possibly believe but to see this on a Toyota which has a reputation for reliability. I also have a 2010 Mazda3 HB with 113k miles and not a single leak nor issue that needed to be fixed during its warranty period just regular wear and tear items.
Old 03-19-19, 06:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

What year is it? I bought my 2013 w 50k summer of 2017 and its now closer to 80k.

Sitting can worse than daily use. I guess I'm just saying some things can be explained. Engines driven short distances that result in never being fully warmed up build up internal sludge from never sustaining operating temperature and if ran hard cold can have issues or if never ran hard when warm can also have issues like carbon build up and sludge.

As for the leaks I would want to see them first hand. Heck it might be drop and some tech low on hours looking to make a sale???

As for the brakes, these are known to stick calipers in the rear and there may be some truth there. But it sounds like this thing is babied? Maybe? So does it ever see wet salty roads?

You might just take it to an independent or have them show you if they didn't already.
Old 03-19-19, 08:42 AM
mvlbr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
What year is it? I bought my 2013 w 50k summer of 2017 and its now closer to 80k.

Sitting can worse than daily use. I guess I'm just saying some things can be explained. Engines driven short distances that result in never being fully warmed up build up internal sludge from never sustaining operating temperature and if ran hard cold can have issues or if never ran hard when warm can also have issues like carbon build up and sludge.

As for the leaks I would want to see them first hand. Heck it might be drop and some tech low on hours looking to make a sale???

As for the brakes, these are known to stick calipers in the rear and there may be some truth there. But it sounds like this thing is babied? Maybe? So does it ever see wet salty roads?

You might just take it to an independent or have them show you if they didn't already.
It’s a 2008 that I bought brand new and is only driven m-f to work which is about 10 miles away. That’s the reason for the low mileage. I don’t travel much and when I do I’ll use either the Mazda or my Highlander. As for the brakes I have a buddy who has all the tools to replace the pads with akebono proact that I just ordered from rockauto.
Old 03-21-19, 12:27 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ...................

Originally Posted by mvlbr

Bone stock and always maintained at the dealer from where I bought it from. I opened up a case with Lexus so let’s see what they say. Still very disappointed in a car that has such low mileage and garage kept to start having leaks. Not to mention that they told me that the rear brake pads need replacement which was done with them 15k miles ago at the same dealership which they expect me to pay another $397 to replace. The brake pads I’ll probably do them myself this time since I’ll probably get rid of the car before the year ends. And to be honest I don’t think I’ll want another Lexus ever again. Between this and the engine piston replacement because of carbon buildup. This engine should have come out with the dual injection system like the 350 but since the bean counters didn’t want to spend any additional money they decided to gift us this crappy engine that they finally fixed by giving us the 200t with the dual system. Sorry for all the venting I’m just very frustrated considering the fact that the maintenance is not cheap but always done at the dealer so they can’t accuse me of damaging anything and to still have these kinds of issues is heartbreaking. If this were a German or American car I could possibly believe but to see this on a Toyota which has a reputation for reliability. I also have a 2010 Mazda3 HB with 113k miles and not a single leak nor issue that needed to be fixed during its warranty period just regular wear and tear items.
Lexus paid for your bad piston job. Rear brakes need replacement @ 15 k = wear. Car now has a leak that you don't know if it was caused by wear or caused by the techs...yet you wont buy another Lexus? Stick with Mazda maybe their cars have zero issues??

I owned several Lexus never a leak of any kind and anything wrong has been fixed free of charge by Lexus via recalls. I only paid for the things that needed replacement via wear: tires, brakes, battery.
2002 IS300 zero mechanical issues sold at 60k
2006 IS350 zero mechanical issues @ 125k still runs like new!
2008 IS250 zero mechanical issues sold @ 80k
2008 RX350 zero mechanical issues sold @ 110K
2013 RX350 zero mechanical issues currently @ 101K

I will never own anything else other than Lexus or Toyota, well unless I hit the lotto tonight I will own a private jet .

I hope you can figure out the issues on hand but I wont discard Lexus as a whole. Trust me the grass is not greener on the other side. Unlike Lexus other manufacturers may not hold your hand. My 06 IS350 just got new dash, new door panels replaced by Lexus free of charge 13 years later!! Sink that in....