ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Running on Spare tire.. Performance Increase, dependable for Snow and Rain? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/911370-running-on-spare-tire-performance-increase-dependable-for-snow-and-rain.html)

cheezz 02-11-19 09:00 AM

Running on Spare tire.. Performance Increase, dependable for Snow and Rain?

I have an '07 IS350 and recently I blew my right front tire and I didn't have tools for my spare tire. It was a long way back home and I had no choice but had to drive with a flat tire... After 10 minutes of driving in the highway at 35 mph the tire started smoking as the rubber started to burn and fall apart. It was my first time experience driving with a flat tire. By the time I made home the tire was deformed...and the wheel seemed to have been damaged as well.

Anyways I removed the wheel and put on a spare tire and started driving. I noticed a very noticeable increase in acceleration performance. It takes off effortlessly and feels faster. That lightweight spare tire must be really helping with the decreased rotational mass / unsprung weight. Trunk is empty as the spare is removed from it. As light and fast it feels with one spare tire just imagine how much better it would be with two spare tires on the front? I was wondering if I could drive like that. It would only cost me for an extra spare tire which can be had for around $120. A lot cheaper than to replace the wheel with an OEM 18" Lexus wheel and a new tire.

I wanted to know if driving my car with two spares on the front would be a reliable and safe solution. I would think they would do pretty good in the snow as the spare tires are narrow so they can cut through snow much easier. I head that narrower tires do better in the deep snow. I don't know how good traction will be...and what about in the rain? What's your thoughts on this as far as reliability and traction is concerned?

thanks

timmy0tool 02-11-19 09:24 AM

spare tire is for temporary use only!
sure you can run the skinnies for awhile (seen it here in CA when gas was expensive and people were trying everything to save a $1) but your braking performance and handling is severely compromised plus you are speed governed to 55mph.

not wise to run this setup on the daily. it should only be used to get to the tire shop.
the rubber on the spares are not meant for daily use, only for emergencies.

Aspect 02-11-19 09:32 AM

Given the 2IS platform has some understeer at the limit, it's probably not advisable to downgrade your tires to a spare - you'd lose turn in/cornering grip as well as braking... Also, spares are supposed to be temporary tires so I wouldn't run them 24/7. I can't really see how switching to a spare on the non drive wheels would make it feel faster, it's probably placebo as you got off driving on a flat. It's true that sizing down the tire would cut through the snow, but the traction wouldn't be there as the compound of a winter tire is far superior for cold conditions compared to the spare.

flowrider 02-11-19 10:00 AM

Very risky behavior:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/4-tips...ng-spare-tire/

Lou

cheezz 02-11-19 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. The car rides nicely at 70 mph with a spare.. but I do need to be more cautious when braking. I guess I will have to find me a new wheel and try to get a used tire somewhere for a good price. I just don't have the money to buy them right now

bbaugher47 02-12-19 03:37 AM

Oem tire and wheel set ups can be found used for a good price. You would have been better off getting a tow or had someone help you change it.

Zmon 02-12-19 06:26 AM

There's a reason the spares are only rated for 50 mph and no longer than 70 miles traveled on the spare. It's simply cheap (low ply, low tread life, thin, etc) and really only meant to get you to the next service station. There's a very good chance it'll blow on you if you keep up with going 70 MPH on it. Also, did you check the spare's tire pressure? I bet it isn't inflated properly as well considering it's been in your trunk for nearly 12 years. I just took mine out last weekend and it was at 20 PSI when they should be inflated to 60.

This is unfortunately an expensive lesson. Now you know you need to pull over immediately to put on the spare tire if you don't want to ruin a rim.

SeanO 02-12-19 04:07 PM

How did you not have tools for your spare? Why would you remove them from your car? What did you expect to happen while driving on a flat tire at 35mph?

Unfortunately, your post raises more questions then it does warrant answers...

You should have towed your car if you didn't have the tools, then you wouldn't be out a tire and rim, just a bill to have the car towed which probably wouldn't have been that expensive.

And no, you should not run a spare tire(s) as your daily drivers. Hence the term, SPARE TIRE.

Good luck

bbaugher47 02-14-19 05:54 PM

Someone is selling a set of used OEM wheels on facebook. Lexus isfreaks page for 350.00

mjeds 02-14-19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by cheezz (Post 10436779)
I have an '07 IS350 and recently I blew my right front tire and I didn't have tools for my spare tire. It was a long way back home and I had no choice but had to drive with a flat tire... After 10 minutes of driving in the highway at 35 mph the tire started smoking as the rubber started to burn and fall apart. It was my first time experience driving with a flat tire. By the time I made home the tire was deformed...and the wheel seemed to have been damaged as well.

Anyways I removed the wheel and put on a spare tire and started driving. I noticed a very noticeable increase in acceleration performance. It takes off effortlessly and feels faster. That lightweight spare tire must be really helping with the decreased rotational mass / unsprung weight. Trunk is empty as the spare is removed from it. As light and fast it feels with one spare tire just imagine how much better it would be with two spare tires on the front? I was wondering if I could drive like that. It would only cost me for an extra spare tire which can be had for around $120. A lot cheaper than to replace the wheel with an OEM 18" Lexus wheel and a new tire.

I wanted to know if driving my car with two spares on the front would be a reliable and safe solution. I would think they would do pretty good in the snow as the spare tires are narrow so they can cut through snow much easier. I head that narrower tires do better in the deep snow. I don't know how good traction will be...and what about in the rain? What's your thoughts on this as far as reliability and traction is concerned?

thanks

seriously?

if this isn't a troll, then I suggest that you sell the car and take public transportation, you are obviously not responsible enough to own a vehicle, your behavior and line of thinking is not only dangerous to you, but to every driver around you.