ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Tranny replacement or Selenoid replacement (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/909177-tranny-replacement-or-selenoid-replacement.html)

BBTBB 01-16-19 07:55 PM

Tranny replacement or Selenoid replacement

What’s everyone’s experience with this?? I am willing to purchase selonoid packs & do the labor myself. My grandpa is a retired mechanic & he believes this will save me money. But I’m worrying I’m going to throw money in one place when it would have been better going to a different fix.

We’re going to inspect the fluid and check for “ metal in the pan” ourselves. I took the car to a transmission shop the first week I purchased it & was told they were going to drop my pan change my filter and fluid, n when I picked it up was told everything was fine... “no metal”. Car drove great for about 4 months other than once where it kind of stalled at a stop light ( something I’ve also read is common with these cars ) check vsc light started coming on week later check engine light. I was taking a 900 mile trip soon , so I checked this at the tranny shop I went to just to be safe. Get a call back saying the engine code was the 5th gear selonoid & when they dropped the pan it “looked like motor oil & was full of metal”. I was not going to pay them 3000 to replace it because I just couldn’t believe my car went from prime condition to needing a new tranny in 4 months... got second opinions they all said the same thing. My grandpa is the only one wanting to do selonoid replacement. I held off for another few months finally my car stops shifting past 4th.

I’ve read mixed things. Some people say changing selonoids worked some people said even replacing the tranny didn’t work... also I’ve read somethings about resetting the computer “reflashing” it I think.. is the only place I can do this is the Lexus dealer??

Id also like to mention my car was wrecked in the front when I purchased it( clean title luckily & my interior isn’t melting as bad as I’ve seen many that’s why I’m determined to save her ). I’ve seen many people having electrical issues after wrecks. This is another reason I’m worrying changing selonoids or tranny won’t stop the check engine / vsc light.

2013FSport 01-17-19 09:09 AM

Do search on some of my posts on fluid change and troubleshooting. Used to rebuild transmissions years ago. These are not known for making metal so if in fact the pan was loaded beyond a little fur on the magnets, you best be looking for used low mileage trans with a warranty.

Valve body repairs like replacing solenoids is not going to fix it if the fluid burned, there is metal in the pan, if it slipped and/or the engine flares. These all imply damage occurred.

Did you see the pan contents ever?

BBTBB 01-17-19 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10412440)
Do search on some of my posts on fluid change and troubleshooting. Used to rebuild transmissions years ago. These are not known for making metal so if in fact the pan was loaded beyond a little fur on the magnets, you best be looking for used low mileage trans with a warranty.

Valve body repairs like replacing solenoids is not going to fix it if the fluid burned, there is metal in the pan, if it slipped and/or the engine flares. These all imply damage occurred.

Did you see the pan contents ever?

I never saw them myself , no. My grandpa & I are planning on droppin the pan this weekend to see n I can let you know the results. I never noticed the tranny slipping jerking or anything indicating the tranny was goin out until it stopped shifting past 4th , the tranny mechanic that said “metal was in the pan” took it on a test drive said it was almost unnoticeable but the car was getting “stuck” in 5th.

2013FSport 01-17-19 02:37 PM

How many miles?
Do a search by user and include valve body should find some good posts on how to diagnose and test certain failure modes.

Do keep in mind there is no dipstick on this so throwing the pan on and topping off are not a 10min job.
Read up as you need software or jumper the OBD port and do some button presses to measure the oil temperature.

sktn77a 01-17-19 03:38 PM

Heck, try the solenoid first. If that doesn't solve the problem, nothing lost. If it does, just just saved yourself a bundle of dough!

Go Grandpa!

DennisMik 01-17-19 09:51 PM

If you have shavings in the pan, you probably have worn out clutch packs.

BBTBB 01-18-19 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10412814)
How many miles?
Do a search by user and include valve body should find some good posts on how to diagnose and test certain failure modes.

Do keep in mind there is no dipstick on this so throwing the pan on and topping off are not a 10min job.
Read up as you need software or jumper the OBD port and do some button presses to measure the oil temperature.

My car has 157k now. I’m going under it to drop the pan , isn’t that also where I can access the selonoids?? That’s what makes me think it’s worth a shot to try at least testing the selonoids kill two birds with one stone while I’m under there. I’ve read other 250 owners experiencing tranny problems around 150k also... is that just what I need to expect in the replacement trans?

BBTBB 01-18-19 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 10413206)

That being the case the best option would be replacing the whole tranny?

Gville350 01-18-19 11:00 AM

Let us know the result of the pan drop and fluid check. If metal is present, I'd source a good, used trans.

2013FSport 01-18-19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 10413206)

Do keep in mind that just like dry mechanical clutch, wet discs turn to dust too and most remains in circulation to be pickup at the filter.
It's the metal that falls out of suspension and fills the pan.

That said it would have been nice to see the pans contents as most shops want to sell you trans. It's how they make $,$$$.
I wrote how to test the solenoids in other threads find them and read up. There is more to it than ohming them but that is the first step.

More likely is something else has failed in the valve body.
I'm on mobile device which is a PITA to search or I'd pull up the threads. They have a layout of the valve body and a link to the A760E.PDF telling you how the thing works!

BBTBB 01-18-19 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gville350 (Post 10413642)
Let us know the result of the pan drop and fluid check. If metal is present, I'd source a good, used trans.

I’ll post an update when we’re finished.

BBTBB 01-18-19 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2013FSport (Post 10413719)
Do keep in mind that just like dry mechanical clutch, wet discs turn to dust too and most remains in circulation to be pickup at the filter.
It's the metal that falls out of suspension and fills the pan.

That said it would have been nice to see the pans contents as most shops want to sell you trans. It's how they make $,$$$.
I wrote how to test the solenoids in other threads find them and read up. There is more to it than ohming them but that is the first step.

More likely is something else has failed in the valve body.
I'm on mobile device which is a PITA to search or I'd pull up the threads. They have a layout of the valve body and a link to the A760E.PDF telling you how the thing works!

Right... I learned my lesson on that one if a shop can’t show me there’s a chance they’re trying to pull one over on me. That’s why I’m at least interested in seeing what it looks like with my own eyes , lol. I’m on mobile too & am having a hard time finding them. Hey I did read my check engine codes & it’s saying p2724. Google’s telling me “pressure control e stuck on”... what does this have to do with the fifth gear selonoid as the mechanic called it??

DennisMik 01-18-19 11:33 PM

“pressure control E stuck on”

A solenoid opens and closes hydraulic passages inside the transmission.

The letter E is the 5th letter of the alphabet. You are having problems with the 5th gear.

Car makers sometimes use strange terminology.

BBTBB 01-19-19 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 10414134)
“pressure control E stuck on”

A solenoid opens and closes hydraulic passages inside the transmission.

The letter E is the 5th letter of the alphabet. You are having problems with the 5th gear.

Car makers sometimes use strange terminology.

!! lol strange but I feel silly for not being able to put that together on my own , thanks.

BBTBB 01-23-19 02:49 AM

Update

It’s been rainy here so we haven’t dropped the pan yet, but I do have an update. I found another shop that specializes in trannys that was about 5 minutes from my house this whole time.... stopped in for a new opinion. This man plugged in this computer now my check engine light is off AND my car is shifting into all of its gears ( it was only going to fourth before this ). That’s leading him to think it’s not the selonoid & something in the computer.