IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I'm at a crossroads with my 2IS350 :/

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 12:34 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm at a crossroads with my 2IS350 :/

I have had my 07 IS350 for almost 7 years and I absolutely LOVE LOVE her. However, there are a few problems with the car now that are major-ish annoyances that I don't have the time or energy to fix. They would probably also cost a lot to fix. I want to just replace her but she's 10000% mechanically sound and has so much life left it her. Looking for an outside perspective from the community,

Here are the problems:
-Front left fender is starting to peel. It was replaced and repainted when I first bought it due to being backed into.
-AUX port is completely all out of wack due to an electrical issue that I haven't been able to figure out (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...happening.html)
-The annoying sticky dash issue and I missed the recall deadline.
-Front bumper tab on the passenger side is broken so the corner of the bumper cover pops out/can't be secured. I have 3M mounting tape on the back right now to keep it in place.
-Fine specks all over my front windshield like it was sand blasted or something.

Here is what I want to do:
-Replace the front bumper cover and while I'm at it, get the whole car repainted/wrapped to fix all the paint issues (chips, door dings, dents)
-Do the non-nav to nav DYI to get stock bluetooth and possibly fix my AUX electrical problem.
-Get new wheels (current ones were chrome but now all faded and some rash)
-New suspension (stock shocks with HR springs). 130k on shocks/~70k on springs)
-Get a quieter exhaust. Currently have mufflers and resonator deleted.

What do you guys think I should do? Make the repairs or just save up for a new IS? I don't really want to spend the money on another car or start having a car payment again but I also don't know it would be worth the trouble fixing everything.
Old 01-16-19, 12:50 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I think the dash and door recall has been extended? May want to call your dealer.
Old 01-16-19, 02:57 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

it all depends on how much you LOVE your car.
the real question is, is it worth fixing? and only you can answer that!
in my eyes all that you have listed is very small and minor, which I would live with considering the car is old.
Old 01-16-19, 05:19 PM
xxmariolxx
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
I think the dash and door recall has been extended? May want to call your dealer.
Has it? I called Lexus corporate yesterday I just bought my IS250 and while there isn't anything major only little scratches by the handles it's cold out. I'm in La and wonder what's gonna happen in the summer. Corporate said since the last owners didn't say anything by the deadline they can't do anything. They said if the owners had complained before they could
Old 01-16-19, 05:24 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

If I thought the new IS is an improvement in every way, I may consider doing that -- but I don't. I think you should just replace the bumper, unless the rest of the paint is in very bad shape as well. Get the after market nav, it will really improve your car's interior. How faded are the chrome wheels? My car is 2008 and it's still shiny.
Old 01-16-19, 05:37 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
it all depends on how much you LOVE your car.
the real question is, is it worth fixing? and only you can answer that!
in my eyes all that you have listed is very small and minor, which I would live with considering the car is old.
I really LOVE the car. Just driving around today, mashing it at lights, taking hard turns, reminded me of it all. You are also right, small and minor considering the age.

Originally Posted by nosurprise
If I thought the new IS is an improvement in every way, I may consider doing that -- but I don't. I think you should just replace the bumper, unless the rest of the paint is in very bad shape as well. Get the after market nav, it will really improve your car's interior. How faded are the chrome wheels? My car is 2008 and it's still shiny.
I'm looking into the aftermarket Nav swap and seeing if it's worth it financially. I think I can bring the life back to the wheels with a good machine polishing. I would say the pay is overall really good. The problems with it that the front bumper has a lot of rock chips, left fender is starting to peel a bit, and maybe 2-3 door dings on each side. I'll have to look into how much it'll cost to get the fender and new bumper painted and go from there.

In latest news though...she's getting a new windshield tomorrow. I was trying to remove my driver side wiper arm today to readjust it because it was going past the molding and being careless, I cracked the windshield . Turns out to be cheaper than I expected to replace a windshield. Fixes the "fine specks all over" problem lol.

I think I will keep the car. She's been a champ for me after all of these years of me mashing on her.
Old 01-16-19, 07:10 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Keep an eye in the classifieds for wheels you like. You never know when something will come along.

JM2C but if I were doing the bumper and a fender, the hood and other fender with all their rock chips can actually be easier to paint match as you can blend over the doors and the painter doesn't have to get that perfect hard match of nose / fender to hood fender.

Ask your painter!
Also this could be an opportunity for minor face lift! F-Sport nose or maybe 3IS!?

Also think about 12mo of car payments ~ $4,000!
Old 01-16-19, 07:56 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Keep an eye in the classifieds for wheels you like. You never know when something will come along.

JM2C but if I were doing the bumper and a fender, the hood and other fender with all their rock chips can actually be easier to paint match as you can blend over the doors and the painter doesn't have to get that perfect hard match of nose / fender to hood fender.

Ask your painter!
Also this could be an opportunity for minor face lift! F-Sport nose or maybe 3IS!?

Also think about 12mo of car payments ~ $4,000!
Will definitely be keeping an eye out for new wheels. A new look is in order!

Was also considering a 3IS conversion too since I'd have to replace the bumper and replace it anyways. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's only one company (NIAAD) makes a plug and play 3IS conversion bumper but it costs a ton!
Old 01-16-19, 08:43 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

For the windshield, I think you'd have to get it replaced given that the small specs are all rock chips I believe. Maybe look into your insurance policy to mitigate some of the cost, as I've heard it doesn't impact your premium to replace your windshield but I could be wrong.

Getting it repainted or wrapped would be a good idea as well given you've owned it a long time. If there are no major scratches or gouges in the paint I'd probably go wrap, but nothing really beats the look of a quality paint job in my eyes. For the front bumper cover... I've seen some members try the quick latch to no avail, so maybe the 3IS conversion kit from NIA would be worth looking into if you want to change up the appearance. I think I've seen someone use a couple of metal brackets to help secure the bumper - toony15333 I believe given all of his aero.

Last edited by Aspect; 01-16-19 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 08:37 AM
matttrue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrades

Just pickled up an 07 2is350 myself and I would like investigate the front bumper change myself but guessing its nowhere near plug and play. How are these guys putting different bumpers together? I've look at some Nav upgrades and the Tesla android is cool looking but I'm an iOS guy. Thanks Aspect for the toony15333 contact.