IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

D4S HID Bulb Help

Old 12-14-18, 09:49 PM
Anthony30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D4S HID Bulb Help

Hello new here and new to the Lexus game, my car has factory hid bulbs d4s but both ballast are bad and would have to get new bulbs also so I was thinking to just get a aftermarket hid kit but don't know what size hid bulb will fit into a d4s fitting into my headlight. Anyone help a brother outttt
Old 12-15-18, 06:31 AM
ostneb
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, not sure if you can find an equivalent led or halogen socketed bulb. Unlike halogen and led which are interchangeable, hids are not to my knowledge.

I recently dealt with a broke ballast and I think your best bet is to buy a replacement oem ballast on eBay. They run around $50 and replacing the ballast is surprisingly easier than I expected. Do a search for replacing ballast and there are multiple YouTube videos that people posted.
Old 12-15-18, 07:13 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 765 Likes on 668 Posts

D4S bulb is the only thing that will fit in the headlights. You want to search for a D4S harness to run aftermarket ballast to the bulbs. Search on Xenondepot.com, or PM them they are vendors on CL.

I'm sure they'll help you out with more info, or best options.
Old 12-15-18, 09:30 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

You can keep the OEM bulbs if you just replace the ballast. As mentioned you can find the ballast for $50 on Amazon or eBay. Easy to install. Just be sure it is your ballast before you take everything apart.
Old 12-15-18, 11:41 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony30
both ballast are bad
What are the symptoms, and what troubleshooting have you done that led you to condemn both ballasts?

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Just be sure it is your ballast before you take everything apart.
Exactly. Normally I advise people to swap the bulbs -- if the problem moves to the other side it's the bulb, and if it stays on the same side it's the ballast. But in this case both sides are giving the OP problems, so that troubleshooting process won't work.

My concern is that some people unfamiliar with how HID headlights fail assume that if a bulb comes on initially and then goes off after a while (and comes back on if you switch the lights on-and-off) is caused a bad ballast, when in many cases those exact symptoms happen because of a bad bulb.

Old 12-15-18, 03:26 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,476 Likes on 1,231 Posts

My old Mercury laiden D2S bulbs ran 10 years. The environmentally safe D4S bulbs are good for about 5 years. Though they may strike, light, and then fade out.

A year ago I replaced mine. The car is a 2013 production date and in 2017-07 a bulb failed. The hotter it was outside, the quicker the bulb would turn itself off.

If someone bare handedly touched the new bulbs it would lead to immediate bulb failure. Bulbs that won't even ignite!!!

I would start with at least 1 or 2 new bulbs before condemning the ballasts!

FWIW most modern ballasts will operate both D2 and D4 bulbs. I wrote one of them to verify.

Look up
81107-53501, computer sub-assy, H
Aftermarket DDLT003 which supports both D2 and D4.
Old 12-15-18, 08:36 PM
Anthony30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin3344
You can keep the OEM bulbs if you just replace the ballast. As mentioned you can find the ballast for $50 on Amazon or eBay. Easy to install. Just be sure it is your ballast before you take everything apart.
Originally Posted by Bichon
What are the symptoms, and what troubleshooting have you done that led you to condemn both ballasts?

Exactly. Normally I advise people to swap the bulbs -- if the problem moves to the other side it's the bulb, and if it stays on the same side it's the ballast. But in this case both sides are giving the OP problems, so that troubleshooting process won't work.

My concern is that some people unfamiliar with how HID headlights fail assume that if a bulb comes on initially and then goes off after a while (and comes back on if you switch the lights on-and-off) is caused a bad ballast, when in many cases those exact symptoms happen because of a bad bulb.
the right headlight doesn't turn on at all the left one goes on when it wants too, I ordered new bulbs for both side and still nothing so I'm assuming both ballast are bad so instead of spending 110$ on new factory ballast I rather just switch to after market hids for 70$ with the harness and the warning harness .... but not sure if they sell the aftermarket hid in d4s
Old 12-17-18, 09:27 AM
sagan
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out Retrofit Source. They have conversion as well as replacement ballasts.

What Bichon said above helped me. I had the bulb on the right light and occasionally go out but then back on again fine when I turned the lights off and back on. I moved the bulb to the left and the problem traveled. I have yet to get new bulbs since it happens maybe 1x every 6 months but I know if it becomes more frequent all I need to do is replace the lights.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/he...-equipped/2008
Old 12-17-18, 09:57 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

If ballasts end up being the issue, I'd be wary of the OE replicas that Kevin listed, I recall someone here buying a set recently and the bulb holder melted after a while (obviously people with issues are going to show off more than those without issues, and it has plenty of good reviews on Amazon).

Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket D4S ballasts that'll work with this car, and no other bulb will fit (you would need to swap the entire headlight for an aftermarket headlight or an oem halogen one if you want to use aftermarket bulbs). Those cheap aftermarket kits are only a band-aid solution anyways. Nothing will beat an OEM solution in terms of lighting, and build quality.
Old 12-18-18, 10:58 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
If ballasts end up being the issue, I'd be wary of the OE replicas that Kevin listed, I recall someone here buying a set recently and the bulb holder melted after a while (obviously people with issues are going to show off more than those without issues, and it has plenty of good reviews on Amazon).

Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket D4S ballasts that'll work with this car, and no other bulb will fit (you would need to swap the entire headlight for an aftermarket headlight or an oem halogen one if you want to use aftermarket bulbs). Those cheap aftermarket kits are only a band-aid solution anyways. Nothing will beat an OEM solution in terms of lighting, and build quality.

^^ +5 Agreed!
It is your main lighting and pulling the bumper isn't as friendly as swapping in a new bulb.

Aftermarket DDLT003 which supports both D2 and D4.

There is this option as stated before $45...
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-18-18, 11:56 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I don't recall the GenXenon ballast as having an issue...please provide the link. IIRC it was the bulb that melted not the ballast.

At any rate, it's been working fine (the college student just got back from a long trip to the beach) and comes with a 6 yr. warranty.

Edited to add: I went by the Amazon reviews before purchasing.
Old 12-18-18, 02:15 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

If OP touched the bulbs bare handed this could explain a lot. Oils from your skin damage the bulb allowing the gases to escape.

i.e. people swap bulbs and then report both sides as dead when in fact they induced the failure by touching the bulbs.