IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

All 4 TPMSs dead?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 12:25 AM
linkzx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default All 4 TPMSs dead?

Hello, I am having an issue with the TPMS on my 2007 2is. Checking Techstream shows that all 4 are not being detected, I guess its possible on a 11yr old car that all 4 sensors have died, is there something else that could have died? like the TPMS ecu or something? Is there a way to check that?
Old 09-26-18, 07:26 AM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought my 08 back in March. All 4 sensors were dead. Had the 4 replaced for $260 and haven’t had a problem since.
Old 09-26-18, 07:32 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its past 10 years the expected life of TPMS batteries. You can buy the denso ones and discount can initialize them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-FOUR...IAAOSwnHZYk4rL
The following users liked this post:
linkzx (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 08:52 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I hate the TPMS. It is nice to have on a long trip and you dident know you hit a nail. Good reminder to check all tires but on daily commute I just hate it. If the PSI goes low enough tire pressure the dashlight for TPMS stays ons. Then when we fill it according to specs it never goes away and you have to drive alot and then finaly it may go. When ever I catch a nail and loose air, when I get the tire patched or plugged, the sensor always stays on and I have to end up replacing. Its more of a pain because it never resets again and mechanics are like its fixed but sensor still lit on dash. It is a Luxury I prefer not to have. Im old school, if the car rides rough, check the tires. O wow its kinda flat, may have got a nail or glass in it. Pump, fill, patch done. Instead of take to lexus or some shop put all 4 sensors in again... as always 2 are always dead. I blame the Florida Sun.
Old 09-26-18, 04:19 PM
Petet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

A few months after I got the new sensors my low pressure light went off. I filled the tire it was only a few pounds low, drive for .5 miles and the light went out. Never had an issue like that.
Old 09-26-18, 04:24 PM
linkzx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drizell
I hate the TPMS. It is nice to have on a long trip and you dident know you hit a nail. Good reminder to check all tires but on daily commute I just hate it. If the PSI goes low enough tire pressure the dashlight for TPMS stays ons. Then when we fill it according to specs it never goes away and you have to drive alot and then finaly it may go. When ever I catch a nail and loose air, when I get the tire patched or plugged, the sensor always stays on and I have to end up replacing. Its more of a pain because it never resets again and mechanics are like its fixed but sensor still lit on dash. It is a Luxury I prefer not to have. Im old school, if the car rides rough, check the tires. O wow its kinda flat, may have got a nail or glass in it. Pump, fill, patch done. Instead of take to lexus or some shop put all 4 sensors in again... as always 2 are always dead. I blame the Florida Sun.
​​​​​​​
The thing that bothers me most is how it needs to tell you in three different places, and killing the functionality of the little screen in the cluster by having the warning there too
Drizell (09-27-18)
Old 09-26-18, 10:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Arizona sun is hotter than Florida. I've never had the issues you describe. When my light goes on, I need air, plain and simple. When it goes on, If I'm on the FW, when the pressure builds up, it goes off. When I fill 'em up, cold, I have a compressor in my garage, the light is off when I restart. For me, they work exactly as designed. I just wish I could read the pressure by tire. My Silverado does that.

Lou
Old 09-27-18, 12:20 AM
tbarrios
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you have them set to the right set of tires.
Old 09-27-18, 09:08 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Guess I am just the lucky one around here. Guess I can not complain, I replaced those TPMS about 3 times so far, but ask me if I ever replaced anything on the car. Nope, no brake jobs, no water pump issue. I only have had routine oil change and all 4 new tires. Never replaced anything on the car. Love my Bytch

2010 IS250 RWD-106k
Old 09-27-18, 10:03 AM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-16-19 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 11:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Nope, no brake jobs,

2010 IS250 RWD-106k
106K on the same pads and rotors

Lou
Old 09-27-18, 01:49 PM
carithree
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to get all 4 of my TPMS replaced when I bought my used is250 since according to Lexus, they were aftermarket and werent detected by the ecu.
Old 09-27-18, 03:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^All my TPMS units are aftermarket, VDO, and they registered just fine. Had 'em close to 3 years now

Lou
Old 09-28-18, 06:47 AM
leoferus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This vehicle can have two sets of TPMS sensors programmed to it. You must select the correct one or the vehicle will display a malfunction. Read the manual or Google it. If, after confirming that the correct set of sensors has been selected yet you still have a malfunction then you may begin to diagnose.

The TPMS has a ten year life expectancy. Usually, the way this is experienced by customers and addressed by most technicians is one at a time. One goes today, another goes a few weeks from today, etc. However, four at the same time is as probable as flipping four quarters and having them all land on heads. Not impossible. Just not very likely.

If you have Techstream you should be able to see what set is selected. It will have a data field that says Main or 2nd. I can't remember of the top of my head.
Old 09-28-18, 10:36 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^IMHO, 10 years is pushing it:

Also some of the newer wireless OBD readers can now display TPMS information on a mobile phone.

Lou
bryceis250 (10-19-18)

Quick Reply: All 4 TPMSs dead?