IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Looking at IS350s...Timing chain/gears replaced normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 08:52 PM
jRingo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking at IS350s...Timing chain/gears replaced normal?

Hi all, I've really been wanting to purchase a used IS350 or GS350.

Most decent dealers and lots have the CarFax linked in the AutoTrader posting.

I've noticed more than a few IS and GS 350's have their timing chain and/or timing gears replaced at less than 50k miles. Is this common? Did it affect only certain years? Should this concern me?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-18, 09:23 AM
Drizell
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

What up jRingo? Chillen? I own a 2010 IS 250 with 106k mile. Never replaced a single thing. No Timing Chain or the dreadful Water pump. Only oil changes and tires.
Thats 10 years with not a single brake change or fuel pump change or any of that. Runs great always take to Lexus, no issues except a Tire Pressure sensor that is common to
replace after hitting nails. I asked the lexus dealer on the last visit about Replacing Timing chain. They say, " No need to replace" they are Lifetime Chains". I asked why some
cars with less milage and new model have their Chain replaced at 50-100K mile mark? Lexus said that under their warranty the car reached that type of Routine Maintenance,
The Timing gears or Pullys', and or Timing chain was replaced. It was warranty work that caused engine to be pulled out and replace chain and other stuff. If that type of work
was not needed, then the dealer never replaced the chain. Replacing a chain would almost make it a new car again brings back new life in it. There should be no concern for you.
Only if the dealer recommends that.. If your water pump fails, then you could persue and have them do the Chain. Again, it should not need replacing. I stress that fact cause
it was Warranty work on Newer models above 2010 that the Routine maintance for 50k was done and elements of the chain or Pully system was replaced. This was my experence
with my same question that i brought up to different Lexus dealers. Aks around about the Chains and you will get mixed response, it is not needed unles you have failure with
engine componets then mite as well lift engine out and replace Chain.Again they are LifeTime Chains. Call me when you 130K and up on milage, we can both replace chains together
The following users liked this post:
jRingo (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 11:15 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

No, it is not normal, as the entire timing chain and guide systems are fully lubricated by engine oil (sealed and fluid-tight timing cover). Though some have had timing covers leak over time, I only read of ONE member having an sort of timing chain/guide issue in my 6+yrs of 2IS ownership and being a member on CL here.
The following users liked this post:
jRingo (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 01:14 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Just for clarification, you sure you're not reading about the intake VVT actuator gear recall? It should be relatively common that most of these cars have had that recall done.
Old 09-26-18, 01:14 PM
jRingo
Driver School Candidate

I will add that they were replaced at Lexus dealers within warranty periods. You think they were just lining their pocket$?
Old 09-26-18, 01:22 PM
jRingo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
Just for clarification, you sure you're not reading about the intake VVT actuator gear recall? It should be relatively common that most of these cars have had that recall done.
I guess it could be, I know CarFax's and basic Lexus dealer printouts aren't always super detailed. But some distinctly said timing chain, others timing gears and others had both done.
Old 09-28-18, 06:30 AM
leoferus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You should NEVER need to replace timing components on the 2GR engine series as maintenance. There is no service interval for them. I've never ever had one that experienced chain stretch or guide failure unless the vehicle had been severely neglected or severely SEVERELY abused. Even those that I've diagnosed with chain stretch were 1GRs in FJs.

Recall work is different as others have mentioned. Anyways, I would not recommend anyone agree to chain related work unless correlation codes were present and it was proven that the OCVs and/or timing gears weren't the issue.
Old 10-15-18, 12:36 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I agree, this is probably the VVTi actuator gear recall and is probably why you see it on a lot of models with the 350 engine. I'm sure the way it is labeled can get misinterpreted depending on what system that info gets sent to. Mine actually had it done twice, the first time when it was still a TSB, and then they replaced it all again about 100k later when they issued a recall. I would not be worried.