IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 AWD Front Axles & CV Boot Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 06:32 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts
Default IS250 AWD Front Axles & CV Boot Issue

My IS is a 2010. I drove for years static no issues at all .didn't bag my car til June of this yr. Last summer around May I noticed the cv boots were leaking and my Axel's were making noise so I had it all replaced. April of this year (still on coils) noticed the front passenger side was going bad again . Immediately had it replaced and when I drove it home car started shaking bad and I had to pull over .went over to that axel and smoke started coming out. Towed the car back to the shop, and they replaced the axel again. 2nd try made it almost home and axel broke off completely when I was almost home .3rd attempt no issues since. So now I have issues with the driver side car is at a different shop, the original shop that did both sides last year . Went through two in two days, and today they will attempt a third try . Keep in mind I am riding higher than I ever was since I'm bagged now . Rolling diameter on my tires are the same. So not sure what's causing the issues here
Old 08-08-18, 12:27 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

What's your ground to fender when rolling?
Old 08-08-18, 01:41 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aspect
Ill check when I get to the car but regardless I was dumped static for over 4 yrs no issues .Now I'm bagged I ride with slight wheel gap . Problem is it makes no sense that two different shops same issue on each axel. but passenger side is fine now
Old 08-08-18, 01:52 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Could it been that these axles are crappy remans? Have you tried any new, OEM half shafts yet?
Old 08-08-18, 04:17 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
Could it been that these axles are crappy remans? Have you tried any new, OEM half shafts yet?
That that might be the case not 100% sure yet because the passenger side one that was replaced last month on the 3rd try is working out just fine
Old 08-08-18, 11:37 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me, brother. Crappy advance auto and autozone cv axles... broke the passenger side 3 times in 2 weeks. Im lowered but not as much as you lol. Bit the bullet and got oem ones and it has been smooth for a few months now... with a slight awd vibration lol
Old 08-09-18, 06:27 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bangdangvn
This happened to me, brother. Crappy advance auto and autozone cv axles... broke the passenger side 3 times in 2 weeks. Im lowered but not as much as you lol. Bit the bullet and got oem ones and it has been smooth for a few months now... with a slight awd vibration lol
Good to know the thing is I'm not even riding low . My drive height is significantly higher than it was when I was static. Do you mind posting that picture of the car so I could see your ride height?

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 08-09-18 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-09-18, 06:55 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Are you really saying the axle joint went up in smoke? That sounds more like a stuck caliper or totally dry wheel bearing. Never ever ever seen a CV joint smoke. Pop and click yes. Grenade yes. Smoke never.
If inner trunnion joint is pinned against the diff and can not freely float inwards or is pulled out too far, that will kill the inboard joint (trunnion). Outer should live unless the angle is excess.
Old 08-09-18, 10:13 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Mine smoked a little too because the boot leaked and was spewing grease to the hot rotor. But that was in my situation...
Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Are you really saying the axle joint went up in smoke? That sounds more like a stuck caliper or totally dry wheel bearing. Never ever ever seen a CV joint smoke. Pop and click yes. Grenade yes. Smoke never.
If inner trunnion joint is pinned against the diff and can not freely float inwards or is pulled out too far, that will kill the inboard joint (trunnion). Outer should live unless the angle is excess.
Old 08-09-18, 10:14 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
Good to know the thing is I'm not even riding low . My drive height is significantly higher than it was when I was static. Do you mind posting that picture of the car so I could see your ride height?
sure man, here is mine.
Old 08-09-18, 04:28 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aspect

so this is my ride height when I'm driving so I know that has nothing to do with what's going wrong with the axle anyways try to our third one today different brand which was $100 more than the aftermarket one that we've been using and that ended up failing to which is weird because the same one is on the passenger side and it's working just fine
Old 08-09-18, 04:35 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Last pic is the passenger side which is fine now. . so I just took the car out this is our third replacement this week for the driver side . this time using the Axel from the same place we got that's good on the passenger side right now . I drove the car for 15-20 minutes between 60 to 80 miles per hour and it failed .

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 08-09-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-09-18, 04:40 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Here is the pic of the second replacement on the passenger side in June
Old 08-09-18, 05:50 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD

so this is my ride height when I'm driving so I know that has nothing to do with what's going wrong with the axle anyways try to our third one today different brand which was $100 more than the aftermarket one that we've been using and that ended up failing to which is weird because the same one is on the passenger side and it's working just fine
At first i thought you guys were making me look like a monster truck but that's basically where I'm at height wise as well and have had no issues... I've only ever had to replace an axle once and it's held up since, so I'm under the speculation that it's the aftermarket company axles which are terrible. Maybe suck it up one time and get an OEM axle or oem remanufactured axle?(can't remember if aftermarket and oem remanufactured is the same thing)
Old 08-09-18, 06:58 PM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Yeah, wow.... i was in the same predicament thinking I installed it wrong and or something was misaligned. I would buy a used one from the junkyard to try it out as its a lot cheaper than a new one to see if that solves your problem. Carparts has them for fairly cheap now.... The quality between oem and aftermarket really is night and day. There is a lot play by the joints in the aftermarket but the oem was super stiff. If I remember right, were you the one that installed washers for transmount to raise it up so the suspension geometry didn’t change too much?

Quick Reply: IS250 AWD Front Axles & CV Boot Issue