IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Screen faded slowly and went black after changing battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 09:53 PM
busynurse
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Navigation Screen faded slowly and went black after changing battery

I have a 2009 IS 250 and took it to have a new battery placed in. As i was driving home I noticed the navigation system was not working properly and started to fade in and out with parallel lines. After a little while the entire screen went black and the buttons on both sides or underneath will not work and they do not light up. I also could not get my windows up from the drivers door control. I checked all the fuses and that did fix the window problem. One had blown during the battery change. But all the other fuses appear good. I'm unable to control the AC and it is blowing wide open. Unable to see radio station but can regulate volume with turn ****. I'm a female and don't know much about cars-only what I watch on you tube and it has taught me a lot. I took it to the dealership to get a diagnostic run which cost $125 and they told me there not 100% sure what it is and need to take the system out to look at it which would be an additional $150 in labor and that it would probably need a new navigation system which would be $13.000!!! not counting labor. I told them the car is not worth $13,000!! I really feel this is related to the battery change since I had no problem before and a window fuse blew during the change. Can someone please help me. I don't know what to do and I'm so stressed about this . Thanks for any help
Old 06-13-18, 10:38 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Where in SC are you?

So was the battery replacement a preventative maintenance thing, or was it completely dead? Was the alternator tested to show that it was properly charging your battery and running ALL electrical systems in the car?
Old 06-13-18, 03:55 PM
busynurse
Driver School Candidate

It was a maintenance thing. I had a check run on the car several weeks back and a dealership told me everything looked good except battery was getting weak and it was an old battery. I am in Conway SC. I don't know anybody around this area that works on these but willing to drive if anyone knows of a place except dealership. I cannot afford them after what i was told yesterday. I really feel it was from the battery being changed. After reading multiple forums I'm scared to touch anything, worried I will mess something else up.
Old 06-13-18, 05:05 PM
busynurse
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking thru my paperwork and i don't see where it states alternator was tested. Could a bad alternator do this? Where would you suggest I take it too to have it tested. I have a local car shop that works on my 04 lexus Rx but it doesn't have the electronics this IS has. Can they screw anything up by doing a alternator test? I'm really paranoid now. lol .
Old 06-14-18, 09:29 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You could have your local auto part to test out the alternator. let us know the result.
If you alternator wen out, you should have battery warning light
The following users liked this post:
busynurse (06-15-18)
Old 06-15-18, 10:43 AM
Gville350

Auto Zone should be able to do an ALT/battery test. But as I re-read the details of what your NAV screen was doing, it does resemble what mine did as my NAV screen was on its way out. Like mine, your NAV screen's power supply might be on its way out. Unfortunately the fix isn't easy, but is ALOT cheaper than what the dealer quoted. It would require a replacement board inside the NAV unit itself OR someone to do it for you.
Old 06-15-18, 01:24 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by busynurse
dealership told me everything looked good except battery was getting weak
My dealer told me for 4 years my battery "sounded weak" but always tested good. They recommended replacement every time I took it in for a recall or to get something fixed. I did eventually replace it but it never gave me issues. It was about 5 years old and that was the life expectancy of the battery. Rather than have it leave my wife stranded somewhere I replaced it. Still even with the new battery the dealer paperwork always says battery "sounds weak". I think it's just a default entry in the system.
Old 06-15-18, 10:13 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Well, OP problem is not relate to battery or power source. The NAV is no longer in working condition and required to be repaired or replace. I have seen and repaired lot of those (happen more and more) during those day for 06-08 IS family. During this year alone, i did repaired over 60 cars for same problem. Some of them is LCD power module, but most of them is display driver board
Old 06-16-18, 05:14 PM
busynurse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Auto Zone should be able to do an ALT/battery test. But as I re-read the details of what your NAV screen was doing, it does resemble what mine did as my NAV screen was on its way out. Like mine, your NAV screen's power supply might be on its way out. Unfortunately the fix isn't easy, but is ALOT cheaper than what the dealer quoted. It would require a replacement board inside the NAV unit itself OR someone to do it for you.
Do u know anyone in SC that repairs these?
Old 06-18-18, 10:03 AM
cynthia3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting....I just replaced my battery and the alternator on my 2007 IS350 and my navigation panel needs to replaced too. I was quoted $2200 at the Lexus dealership for a refurbished unit. I was thinking that was too much....do you think this a fair price?

Last edited by cynthia3; 06-18-18 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Left out something
Old 06-18-18, 10:58 AM
Gville350

Originally Posted by busynurse
Do u know anyone in SC that repairs these?
Not in SC, but...

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Well, OP problem is not relate to battery or power source. The NAV is no longer in working condition and required to be repaired or replace. I have seen and repaired lot of those (happen more and more) during those day for 06-08 IS family. During this year alone, i did repaired over 60 cars for same problem. Some of them is LCD power module, but most of them is display driver board
Old 06-30-18, 08:13 PM
busynurse
Driver School Candidate

so what did you decide to do, My started working last week but only for about 2-3 mins when car starts. I think something needs to be reset due to power loss but haven't found no help with this