IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long is250 engines last ( miles)

Old 05-21-18, 07:48 AM
sonny1989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long is250 engines last ( miles)

Hello Lexus enthusiast I am an owner of 2008 Lexus IS 250 rear wheel drive pearl white with 151000 miles. Unfortunately my vehicle is a lemon and I have heard that is 250 models have carbon build-up problems. But my vehicle has been great and have had no issues . I change everything on time n take care of it . Anyone has any idea how many Mike's can you out on this engine . Thank you .
Old 05-21-18, 08:02 AM
Viru
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

When you say your vehicle is a lemon, what exactly do you mean?

It is true that our vehicles have carbon buildup issues, but this isn't unheard of in Direct Injection engines, and can typically be inhibited and corrected relatively easily.

As to your initial question about how many miles these engines can last - it would vary immensely based on factors such as maintenance and usage patterns, and we'll likely only know about this as more people drive their IS250s through more miles. That said, some CL members are comfortably crossing 200k miles:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-review-2.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ost-miles.html

Also, first post since you joined in '16? Welcome to the frenzy!
Old 05-21-18, 08:31 AM
sonny1989
Driver School Candidate

I git ****ed over at a dealership. Bought a lemon without knowing . ( Google wat a lemon car is). I found out a year later it was a lemon .. I bought it with 78k on it and been fine . Obviously it's time now to replace front shocks , bushings , and my rear Axel's are leaking . I clean my engine , drive it hard once in a while . I got another 1 and half and it will be paid off. I looked at Carfax but don't get why it's a lemon title. Thanks
Old 05-21-18, 09:10 AM
Viru
Driver

I know what a lemon car is - just strange that it wasn't reported on the Title or Carfax if Lemon law was invoked, even if the Title was washed. If you're able to share the Carfax here maybe someone could shed some light on the issue that caused it to be a Lemon, but do you have reason to believe it's a Powertrain related issue?
Old 05-21-18, 09:29 AM
sonny1989
Driver School Candidate

Ohh ok my bad I thought you didn't know. Idk , I'm posting pictures of car fax. It says it was bought back by the manufacturer, and fixed up n put up for sale at an auction.... And I think it's the carbon build-up issue ... The engine must have been rebuilt and it was slap with a lemon ...
Old 05-21-18, 09:33 AM
sonny1989
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-21-18, 09:40 AM
sonny1989
Driver School Candidate

Old 05-21-18, 09:43 AM
Viru
Driver

Honestly, the Carfax makes it pretty evident that the vehicle is a Lemon.

70k+ is prime mileage for either the Carbon Buildup or Cam Gear issues that are known for this engine, but the former is relatively minor (top engine clean only) and I wouldn't expect it to result in a buyback. Haven't seen a buyback for the Cam Gear issue either (it was addressed in a LSB), so it might be something else entirely. Fundamentally, Lemon law can be invoked after too many trips to the dealer for the same repair, or too much time spent by the vehicle at the dealer for repairs, but strange things are possible if the owner has some pull with the dealership.

I'd try smooth-talking some of the dealers on that list for more details on the failure.

Last edited by Viru; 05-21-18 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 07:22 AM
sonny1989
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your imput . I will contact Lexus and see wat I can find . But this car is from California , I bought it in Missouri and now I live in Florida . I just remembered that a Lexus dealer guy told me the engine was rebuilt with a new top half due to the carbon built up, it kept messing up I guess and Lexus bought the car back, fixed it n slapped a lemon title on it ... If that if fact is true I got an engine that is half way brand new at 78k Mike's wen I bought it . I change oil every 3 k, n it runs like the clock smooth. Love these cars just wish I had a 350.cheers my friend.
Old 10-04-19, 08:39 PM
Akai00
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a 2006 for $4,400 with 130k. I've already put 5k on it with no issues. When do the carbon build-up issues typically happen? What are some of the symptoms? I gotta be honest I would have purchased a different engine/model if I had known that it was a problem with these engines beforehand.
Old 10-04-19, 09:17 PM
Serifiyah
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 IS250 with 195k miles that I purchased at 70k. I have never had any issues with carbon buildup. Besides the usual wear and tear items (i.e. alternator recently), it is still running great. Just need to replace my leaking original shocks soon.
Old 10-07-19, 11:12 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Akai00
Bought a 2006 for $4,400 with 130k. I've already put 5k on it with no issues. When do the carbon build-up issues typically happen? What are some of the symptoms? I gotta be honest I would have purchased a different engine/model if I had known that it was a problem with these engines beforehand.
It is possible that you'll never happen to have the dreaded carbon build-up issue. It all depends on how the previous owner drove the car. I've always said that on those 2.5L motors, that it's good for them to see multiple red lines pulls each time they're ran. The build-up mostly happens on shorter trips and trips where higher rpms are never seen.
Old 10-08-19, 02:03 PM
aznKewlguy
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m coming up to 200k with no major issues or carbon build up
Old 10-09-19, 09:38 AM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
I’m coming up to 200k with no major issues or carbon build up
I bet that engine sees the higher rpm range daily.
Old 10-10-19, 03:07 PM
Akai00
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
It is possible that you'll never happen to have the dreaded carbon build-up issue. It all depends on how the previous owner drove the car. I've always said that on those 2.5L motors, that it's good for them to see multiple red lines pulls each time they're ran. The build-up mostly happens on shorter trips and trips where higher rpms are never seen.
Bought it from a couple (wife drove it) who bought it from the dealership she worked at, so consistent oil changes (full synthetic every 5k) and all the required maintenance. She bought it at 60k miles iirc and put on a ton of miles driving between states to see family.

"that it's good for them to see multiple red lines pulls each time they're ran"

So you're saying I should just stomp on the gas like a jack *** teenager everytime I start it up? haha

How do you exactly do a proper 'Italian Tune-up'.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How long is250 engines last ( miles)