ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   '06 IS350 Dash Replacement Help Needed (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/886218-06-is350-dash-replacement-help-needed.html)

ColinPR 04-14-18 03:51 PM

'06 IS350 Dash Replacement Help Needed

I am new to this forum, joined today. I just bought a 2006 IS350 and the previous owner did not get the dash/panels done in time. I just bought a new dash from Lexus and was going to ATTEMPT to install it myself. I am not a mechanic, not by a long shot. I will be doing it in my garage. Not sure if this is a good idea or not? The dealership will do it for $390 plus tax, but I would love to try it myself. Any advice would be appreciated. Also if anyone can point me in the direction of some videos or anything that would give me help. I did find this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-process.html but if someone has a link to a video or a different set of instructions I would really appreciate it.

lysis250 04-14-18 04:40 PM

I’ve done this with the help of a friend and we did it together in roughly 3 hours which included removing the dash out of the donor vehicle. It’s very simple and straight forward but if you have an extra set of hands to help you with the process definitely invite them over. Neither of us are mechanics either we just have basic knowledge of DIY around cars since we’ve been doing it for a while. We didn’t remove the steering wheel like the other thread stated which did complicate this a little but we were able to move the dash around it and take it out.

Nespo2330 04-14-18 04:42 PM

$390 for a professional install seems worth it to me. Did you also get the door panels, because those are simple in comparison

ColinPR 04-14-18 04:56 PM

Thank you. I'm worried I'm going to break some of these clips. Like the console where is says to "disengage the 2 claws and 2 clips, how the hell do you disengage them? Do I just have to hank the console towards the trunk to "disengage" them?

No I didn't get the door panels yet. At the dealership the fronts are $730 each and rears are $680 each, that's not gonna happen. I will either try to find good used ones or try to figure something out with the black area on the door panels.

Thank y'all.

Mrfix 04-14-18 05:20 PM

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you but you can purchase access for $15 (2 days) and there might be some info there that could help during the removal and installation process.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...at_is_tis_page

Figure out what trim tools you need and Harbor Freight has a couple different plastic tool kits for car interiors.

ColinPR 04-14-18 05:53 PM

I think I just might do that, only $15 may be worth it. Thank you

HankMoody 04-15-18 08:00 AM

How much was the new dash panel ?

ColinPR 04-15-18 08:41 AM

$414 plus tax, brand new from Lexus.

DMV350 04-15-18 09:04 AM

ColinPR 04-18-18 09:15 PM

Just wanted to give y'all an update on the dash install and a give a little info on the Lexus I have. It's a 2006 IS350 with 135k miles, clean title and Carfax. I bought it last month as a 2nd car. They were asking $7,800, but I got it for $4,800, mainly because of the expense of dash and door panels, since they were no longer under warranty. I took Mrfix's advice and paid the $15 for techinfo, which was awesome with very detailed instructions on the dash install...thank you Mrfix. But after digging in I realized it was too much, so I pulled the plug and brought it to the Lexus dealership today. I told them I wanted to keep the old dash to experiment on the nasty material in the hopes of doing something with the door panels. About 3 hours later I got a call from the dealership and the service manager says "I have some good news, this car was serviced at this dealership in 2016 by the previous owner, prior to the May 2017 extended warranty deadline, so we are going to refund you for the full price of the dash, install the new dash for free and provide and install 4 new door panels for free"!!!! OMG, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? Talk about take my breath away. I still can't believe it. Nice to get lucky every now and then. Thanks again.

sinister2c 04-19-18 05:47 AM

Damn...you lucked out that the previous owner was on that waiting list and that you decided to take it in.

$400 for a dash and $400 install is CHEAP!!! I was really expecting that dash to be over $1,000 but maybe the lowered the MSRP due to so many issues with it and some people who didn't do warranty will have to get a new one on their own dime.

The techs all probably are experts at dash install now since this has been a 3 year program now across multiple models.

Originally Posted by ColinPR (Post 10176292)
Just wanted to give y'all an update on the dash install and a give a little info on the Lexus I have. It's a 2006 IS350 with 135k miles, clean title and Carfax. I bought it last month as a 2nd car. They were asking $7,800, but I got it for $4,800, mainly because of the expense of dash and door panels, since they were no longer under warranty. I took Mrfix's advice and paid the $15 for techinfo, which was awesome with very detailed instructions on the dash install...thank you Mrfix. But after digging in I realized it was too much, so I pulled the plug and brought it to the Lexus dealership today. I told them I wanted to keep the old dash to experiment on the nasty material in the hopes of doing something with the door panels. About 3 hours later I got a call from the dealership and the service manager says "I have some good news, this car was serviced at this dealership in 2016 by the previous owner, prior to the May 2017 extended warranty deadline, so we are going to refund you for the full price of the dash, install the new dash for free and provide and install 4 new door panels for free"!!!! OMG, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? Talk about take my breath away. I still can't believe it. Nice to get lucky every now and then. Thanks again.