IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Whats this car's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-18, 07:18 PM
lexussn00b
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whats this car's worth?

Hi so I found this car near me I liked and planned on going there soon and possibly purchasing this vehicle if it ends up not having any major issues as I really do like this car. A problem i've ran into is that on different sites i'm getting a wide range of what they're saying the car is REALLY worth, I need to know what dollar amount I should not go over when i'm there talking them down, please help car link below thank you very much.

http://www.gosilverauto.com/auto/use...t-il/25149694/

Sorry if I didnt follow the guidelines for posting on here I literally just signed up, I figured this is the only place I can get a real answer from someone, as i'm assuming you're all Lexus lovers.
Old 03-18-18, 07:37 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

def not $8,295. I wouldn't pay over 5k. Did a quick KBB search and its right under $5k.
Old 03-18-18, 07:52 PM
lexussn00b
Driver School Candidate

Really? Cause this is what I get on KBB >
https://gyazo.com/374fb8be7bf082623859d1478bde502e

Sigh, I really like this car but i'm just so confused how im seeing $4,500 price on a site then $9,300 on another.
Old 03-18-18, 08:37 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussn00b
Really? Cause this is what I get on KBB >
https://gyazo.com/374fb8be7bf082623859d1478bde502e

Sigh, I really like this car but i'm just so confused how im seeing $4,500 price on a site then $9,300 on another.
Make sure you're selecting the proper options. I got it at 7500-9600 for a AWD 250 with 107k miles, no mark levinson, nav, backup camera, and premium package. Sign up for a Lexus owners account, add the VIN, and post the service history here considering that dealer doesn't provide a carfax/autocheck. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ I can't tell if the dash/door panels were replaced, but I can tell the dash appears beat up in a few places. Depending on service history, I'd probably not pay more than 7-7500 especially if it was never brought in for the carbon build-up issue the 250's have.
The following users liked this post:
lexussn00b (03-18-18)
Old 03-18-18, 08:58 PM
lexussn00b
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zmon
Make sure you're selecting the proper options. I got it at 7500-9600 for a AWD 250 with 107k miles, no mark levinson, nav, backup camera, and premium package. Sign up for a Lexus owners account, add the VIN, and post the service history here considering that dealer doesn't provide a carfax/autocheck. https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ I can't tell if the dash/door panels were replaced, but I can tell the dash appears beat up in a few places. Depending on service history, I'd probably not pay more than 7-7500 especially if it was never brought in for the carbon build-up issue the 250's have.
Here is the entire history I got off the Lexus site after adding the VIN,

https://imgur.com/a/FGRxU
Old 03-19-18, 09:22 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

So, I see nothing about the carbon build-up recall being done. No mention of door panel/dash replacement. Unfortunately, for the both of those, you're no longer eligible to have those done for free due to the car being older than 10 years from first use. I imagine the part about the nav not functioning is just a dead digitizer. Just check to see if it works if you go to look at the car. It's not a hard fix, iirc it's about $100 to DIY, but I certainly wouldn't buy it with it not working.

Just for the first two things alone, I'd stay away from the car. Nobody wants a melting/glaring dash in the summer, and that carbon build-up can be a hassle down the line. If you're absolutely set on a 250 over a 350, find one that has had those recalls done. I will say, minus the things I pointed out, the interior looks relatively nice for it's age (again, minus the door panels/dash). IMO, I'd stay away from those early 250's and grab a 350, but I'm probably a bit biased in that regard , but that's just me. Take a look at the car if you want, see how it drives. Find some others as well, don't just look at one. If you can, find a newer one.
The following users liked this post:
lexussn00b (03-19-18)
Old 03-19-18, 01:56 PM
lexussn00b
Driver School Candidate

Based off what Zmon has said, do you guys have a $ number you would not go over for this vehicle? Still would spend 7-7500 on it or where is it that you would feel comfortable buying this car?
Old 03-19-18, 02:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Silver Auto Sales is a wholesaler, they likely picked this car up from a local auction (guessing)...not that it's bad just making note.

Pulling auction numbers they paid, at most, $5,500 for the car. $5,500 would be TOP dollar locally, I'd guess they have less money tied into the vehicle. This should give you an idea to make your offer if you are set on this specific IS...Others have indicated it hasn't had some important service and/or recalls that you would be stuck paying out of pocket.
Old 03-20-18, 06:44 AM
tbjohnton
Driver School Candidate

To echo what passnu2 said, I just pulled up Manheim's auction site and the closest they have to this vehicle is a 2006 with 85k and its wholesale valued at $6175. I bought a 2006 is350 (88k miles for $5700--private seller) without the dash/door panels redone, but got it before the recall expired, it was messy until those items were taken care of
Old 03-20-18, 09:21 AM
wickedik
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbjohnton
To echo what passnu2 said, I just pulled up Manheim's auction site and the closest they have to this vehicle is a 2006 with 85k and its wholesale valued at $6175. I bought a 2006 is350 (88k miles for $5700--private seller) without the dash/door panels redone, but got it before the recall expired, it was messy until those items were taken care of
keep in mind there is more to calculating a vehicles value than merely year and mileage. I'd say condition, service history, options can sway the vehicles "worth" greatly.
Old 03-20-18, 12:07 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The value of the car can vary for many reasons. Obviously a vehicle from northern states will be subjected to snow and road salt which can detract from the value. There's also service history, what service, options, etc. Check car search websites for they're assessment of market values. Look on AutoTrader, CarGurus, Cars.com and such. You could also have an PPI done and request the mechanic use a borescope in the spark plug wells to check for carbon deposits. I'm not sure where you live in IL, but I recommend Coast to Coast Imports in the Indianapolis, IN area. Just bought a traded in Lexus this weekend there. Check their website for current inventory at their 3 locations. Just Google their name.

Last edited by TopNotchIN; 03-20-18 at 12:14 PM. Reason: correction
Old 03-21-18, 06:46 PM
lexussn00b
Driver School Candidate

Near the chicagoland area, goona go look at the car tomorrow and I would be happy paying an even $7,000 for the car. They have it listed at 8,200 who knows if they"ll go for it. If things check out and I want to make that purchase when im negociating should I straight up tell them I will pay $7,000 and not a dollar more or should I haggle em with a different approach?
Old 03-21-18, 08:29 PM
lexussn00b
Driver School Candidate

But then again it hasnt had the carbon recall, the dash/door recall and I no longer can get it for free, so i'm not sure what number to settle at.
Old 03-21-18, 09:42 PM
TopNotchIN
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lexussn00b
Near the chicagoland area, goona go look at the car tomorrow and I would be happy paying an even $7,000 for the car. They have it listed at 8,200 who knows if they"ll go for it. If things check out and I want to make that purchase when im negociating should I straight up tell them I will pay $7,000 and not a dollar more or should I haggle em with a different approach?
I doubt they'll be willing to sell for the price you want. You can always haggle and try to negotiate, though. They're asking a bit for the car in my opinion so I would search around some more. Do a search on eBay, Autotrader, CarGurus, Cars.com, Carstory, etc. Since you're wanting to spend $7,000 on the car here's some negotiation info. How long has the car been for sale? Dealers will usually lower the price in increments for each period the car hasn't sold. I mean after 30, 60, 90 days they will lower the price to move vehicles so their money isn't tied up on a car that doesn't sell. NEVER negotiate the price down! Find another car that's similar to the one you want. Tell the dealer you're looking at another IS that's such and such a price. The other car is cheaper, but you're willing to pay more for theirs cause you prefer the color and options. The other car is $7,000 but you're willing to offer $7,250 for theirs. See what they say. Can't do it? Offer them $7,500 and tell them you can't go higher than that because you have a budget and told yourself you'd strictly stick to your budget. Or tell them the wife or girlfriend won't go let you spend a penny more than $7,500. If they don't go for it then leave. Don't let them trick/force you into a purchase that you're not comfortable with. Remember it's THEIR job to sell the car. You're aren't obligated to purchase something that's more than you want to pay. Waiting for the car you want for the price you want is worth it in the long run. Don't settle for a car you're going regret later because of cost and/or options. I have an '06 IS250 AWD and just purchased an '11 GS350 AWD this weekend. The GS was in overall good shape, but had some cosmetic damages/issues. The car was around $5,000-6000 under private party value. I found parts to put the car back into slightly used condition for about $1,000. I purchased the car for under KBB trade in value in fair condition.
Old 03-22-18, 06:29 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I disagree...

Shoot low, as I mentioned they have ~ $5,500 into this vehicle. I wouldn't pay $7,000 for this car. But its your money...

You've done your homework and can note to this dealer that it NEEDS two major service recalls that are no longer covered by Lexus and will cost YOU a few thousand dollars. They haven't done a damn thing to this vehicle. A quick detail, oil change, maybe put gas in it and tossed it on the lot. LOOK at the pics...Needs new tires, see the snow on the tires in the pics, they've had this car for a bit, and its not very clean. Guessing the paint will be fair when you see in person. Black and Chicago...The rims are rather beat up IMO. I know it's an older car with high miles...I get it. But you can find better for what you are willing to pay!!!

Print off the service history, or lack there of, and show them this as well.

It's end of month, the car has over 100k miles (these don't move as quick) as its harder to obtain financing.

Good Luck!