Should I return this car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-18, 11:11 AM
Anthao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I return this car?

Hello CL,

I just bought a 2008 Lexus IS 250 with 110k miles from Carmaxx. I wasn't aware of the carbon build up issue until after I bought it. I was able to look back into the Lexus history report and it showed that there was a service done at the 90k miles mark due to excessive carbon deposits. It also shows that the pistons and piston rings were replaced along with the valves and cylinder bores, while the cylinder heads were decarbonized. Aside from this issue, the car seems like it was well taken care of. As much as I would like to keep this car, I am afraid of the issue coming back up and hurting my pocket in the near future. I know that there is no permanent fix to this issue and that there are ways to slow down the build up, however, I am not a car person and was wondering if I should return this car and try to find a 350 instead just to avoid this problem altogether? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old 02-07-18, 11:13 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Since it was done just 20k miles ago, I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bothers you. Otherwise just enjoy the car if you like it
The following users liked this post:
Anthao (02-07-18)
Old 02-07-18, 11:16 AM
Anthao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Since it was done just 20k miles ago, I wouldn't worry about it unless it really bothers you. Otherwise just enjoy the car if you like it
How many more miles do you think I have until the problem starts getting worse?
Old 02-07-18, 11:29 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Depends, some people have 200k without ever having done the recall, others needed the recall after 40k miles. I guess a safe estimate would be at least however long the car went without the recall being done in the first place, if not longer with the revised piston rings. Preventative stuff could include yearly top end cleanings, and while it wont prevent it, keeping the car running at its most efficient by using good gas and replacing spark plugs when necessary will help. People also suggest a catch can and say that the "italian tuneup" helps blow the carbon out.

Many are quick to say trade it in and buy an IS350, and while I'm not saying there isn't a problem, because there clearly is, the carbon buildup shouldn't be a reason not to get a maintained IS250.

I loved my 2008, got it with 60k, had a top end clean, not piston replacement, at 46k if i recall correctly, and drove it up until 84k before someone rear ended me, and in that time never had an issue with the car running rough, burning oil, or anything of the like. Short period of time, but a point of reference I suppose
The following users liked this post:
Anthao (02-07-18)
Old 02-07-18, 11:40 AM
Anthao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Depends, some people have 200k without ever having done the recall, others needed the recall after 40k miles. I guess a safe estimate would be at least however long the car went without the recall being done in the first place, if not longer with the revised piston rings. Preventative stuff could include yearly top end cleanings, and while it wont prevent it, keeping the car running at its most efficient by using good gas and replacing spark plugs when necessary will help. People also suggest a catch can and say that the "italian tuneup" helps blow the carbon out.

Many are quick to say trade it in and buy an IS350, and while I'm not saying there isn't a problem, because there clearly is, the carbon buildup shouldn't be a reason not to get a maintained IS250.

I loved my 2008, got it with 60k, had a top end clean, not piston replacement, at 46k if i recall correctly, and drove it up until 84k before someone rear ended me, and in that time never had an issue with the car running rough, burning oil, or anything of the like. Short period of time, but a point of reference I suppose
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. Feel a little better now with my decision. Like I said, I wouldn't want to return this car, but if I'm able to find a 350 within the next few days, I might considering doing so. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-18, 11:49 AM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Carbon buildup is not the end all be all, you have an engine with basically 20k on it. Id only return if you can get a 350
Old 02-07-18, 11:56 AM
arafas
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i had mine done at 35k miles 2008 is250 manual. I have now 160k miles without any of those issues, but now I am hearing the infamous rattle at startup so not sure if i should fix it myself or sell the car. Lexus wants like 1500$ for the job. The car only worth maybe 6-7k the way it sits and also it has the original clutch still so that will cost arm and a leg too.
Old 02-07-18, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You should be fine for a while. But just keep in mind that it can happen again, as it has happened to various members on here.
Old 02-07-18, 12:43 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

If you could, I'd definitely go with a 350. I love my 250 but I plan to do walnut blasting every 120k kms
Old 02-07-18, 03:16 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Think of how its used. If the owners sit and eat Taco Bell letting the car idle for 35 min at lunch time park it. Then 2 hrs later drive a mile to wait for the kids to get out of school ( idle another 13 min ), drive 2 mi to home and park it; it's likely not a good choice!!

If you start it, drive it, get on the freeway for 20mi, park it for 9hrs and drive home 25mi, likely a great car.

Huge contrast there but that is what matters. Open it up, use it, change the fluids and don't baby it and it'll go another 100k.

Idle across town and all trhough lunch and then back home again and you get build it. Period!
Old 02-07-18, 07:40 PM
StanleyR
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd dump it and get something else.
Then again, I research all cars I'm considering BEFORE shopping.

It's just a little something I do to avoid any costly surprises/headaches.
Old 02-07-18, 07:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthao
How many more miles do you think I have until the problem starts getting worse?
Mean time use tier 1 gasolie, quality oil and keep an eye on PCV function.
Old 02-07-18, 08:23 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 11:29 AM
Anthao
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Mean time use tier 1 gasolie, quality oil and keep an eye on PCV function.
What about the PCV function should I be looking out for?

If you could, I'd definitely go with a 350. I love my 250 but I plan to do walnut blasting every 120k kms
Have you considered an oil catch can? How much does a walnut blasting usually cost?

You should be fine for a while. But just keep in mind that it can happen again, as it has happened to various members on here.
What have other members done about the problem the second time around?
Old 02-08-18, 03:56 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthao
What about the PCV function should I be looking out for?

Have you considered an oil catch can? How much does a walnut blasting usually cost?

What have other members done about the problem the second time around?
Running a Mishimoto Oil Catch Can atm. Oil catch cans are more preventative than correctional maintenance. You have 20,000 miles after the maintenance so you might get away with just an oil catch can if you're lucky coupled with the new pistons and etc from the recall you are in a good position, but if you would ever need a carbon cleaning walnut blast procedure done, could be like 400-500 usd

Quick Reply: Should I return this car?