IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer damaged bumper, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 01:44 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dealer damaged bumper, need advice

I recently took my car in for some warranty work where I had a oxygen sensor replaced. The car was kept at the dealership for a total of 2 1/2 weeks due to inclement weather and a back up on parts. Upon picking up my car it was covered in snow and I took it home with a minor inspection . That was a week ago today. After rinsing my car off getting rid of the snow and salt I have come to realize numerous scratches where the paint has been taken off the rear bumper. It also looks as though my car was backed up into something and was covered up by touch up paint.

The question is what is my next option from here? I don’t drive the car often so I know for a fact this happened at the dealer, however can it be be proved? is it worth the argument?

any advice would be greatly appreciated as it looks like this is most likely going to have to be repaired...

pics below:

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​😡🤬
Old 01-14-18, 01:49 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Bring it to their attention. I hope they have a cctv system. But don’t wait to long because the dvr/nvr may loop over footage at 30 days depending on the size of the hard drive .
Old 01-14-18, 02:53 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

That's a pretty blatant hit and attempt to cover up. Surprise they didn't just leave it and assume your wouldn't notice upon pickup due to the dirt.

guess your dealership doesn't wash cars during the winter?
Old 01-14-18, 03:14 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 03:39 PM
bbaugher47

Which dealer do you gonto DMV?
Old 01-14-18, 03:49 PM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 05:29 PM
bbaugher47

Nice, lexus of Richmond is great. And lexus of Rockville hosted us in 2016 for the east coast mega meet and they seem to really rock as well.
Old 01-14-18, 06:10 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses, I’m going to have to speak with them tomorrow but I’m sure they’ll deny it. I hate the damn dealership. My car was in for warranty service now I’m stuck with a ~$500 bumper repair. Ridiculous.
Old 01-14-18, 11:49 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Go talk to the Dealership ask to speak with the Dealership GM and Service Deparmtnet Manager at the same time.
Explain the issues.

very important is keep calm don't go off on them don't be rude out of your anger kill them with kindness at the same time as being serious.
if they refuse to do anything about it still stay kind be polite explain if they refuse to do something you will be calling Lexus Customer Care up.

about 2 years ago when I was in Co I had some physical damage done to the engine covers and plastic under hood compartment covers at a Lexus dealership in CO I didn't even notice it till I got home and a week latter checked my oil.

first, the tech left 2 covers off and closed the hood on them breaking them. they said one was already broken and then insisted they placed them on properly.
that was B/S because no one had been under there since they did that and I know for a fact that I was the last one to touch them a few days before going to the dealer for service and I wouldn't have screwed up like that.
they offered to sell me the parts at cost and I told them I will just call Lexus customer care.
they said good luck.
I called Lexus Customer Service explained what happened about 20 minutes latter the Dealership Parts Manager was calling me asking me when I could come in and pick the replacement parts up free of charge I said I cant I am back home in Utah and not driving 7 hours for those parts they called the dealership here in Salt Lake and purchased them from them and I went in and picked them up that same day.

So I hope that if the dealership doesn't help that Lexus customer care will help.
this seems like a problem that you might want to insist on speaking with there insurance reps for the dealership.
Old 01-15-18, 04:16 AM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
Go talk to the Dealership ask to speak with the Dealership GM and Service Deparmtnet Manager at the same time.
Explain the issues.

very important is keep calm don't go off on them don't be rude out of your anger kill them with kindness at the same time as being serious.
if they refuse to do anything about it still stay kind be polite explain if they refuse to do something you will be calling Lexus Customer Care up.

about 2 years ago when I was in Co I had some physical damage done to the engine covers and plastic under hood compartment covers at a Lexus dealership in CO I didn't even notice it till I got home and a week latter checked my oil.

first, the tech left 2 covers off and closed the hood on them breaking them. they said one was already broken and then insisted they placed them on properly.
that was B/S because no one had been under there since they did that and I know for a fact that I was the last one to touch them a few days before going to the dealer for service and I wouldn't have screwed up like that.
they offered to sell me the parts at cost and I told them I will just call Lexus customer care.
they said good luck.
I called Lexus Customer Service explained what happened about 20 minutes latter the Dealership Parts Manager was calling me asking me when I could come in and pick the replacement parts up free of charge I said I cant I am back home in Utah and not driving 7 hours for those parts they called the dealership here in Salt Lake and purchased them from them and I went in and picked them up that same day.

So I hope that if the dealership doesn't help that Lexus customer care will help.
this seems like a problem that you might want to insist on speaking with there insurance reps for the dealership.
Thanks for the advice I will talk to them today. It’s comforting that it worked out in your favor
Old 01-15-18, 08:03 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

One thing I could think of with the touch up job was that the valets damaged it and left it. Then the detailer /car wash people decided to do this customer a “favor” and touch up theirs bumper.

Eitherway, the service advisor should have walked the car and noted damages before and it should be on their paperwork and notes.
Old 01-15-18, 03:51 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Update. So I went into the dealership today and listened to what you guys mentioned. Upon showing the service advisor the problem and pleading my case..... he sided with me. He said he will repair and repaint the bumper free of charge. I was flabbergasted.

He he said to think about a time to bring it in since it’s been ~15 degrees here in WNY and he’ll get it done. What a relief. Something tells me he saw something on the video recording....

😌
Old 01-15-18, 04:10 PM
MikeyK02
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Nespo2330
Update. So I went into the dealership today and listened to what you guys mentioned. Upon showing the service advisor the problem and pleading my case..... he sided with me. He said he will repair and repaint the bumper free of charge. I was flabbergasted.

He he said to think about a time to bring it in since it’s been ~15 degrees here in WNY and he’ll get it done. What a relief. Something tells me he saw something on the video recording....

😌
I was just about to say. They saw/knew what happened, and hoped enough time would've passed that you wouldnt have caught it.

Glad you got on it, and are getting it handled
Old 01-16-18, 08:13 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

great they are taking care of it thats awesome.
Old 01-16-18, 12:23 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

That is really great to hear! Glad they're taking responsibility for their mistake.

Let this be a lesson to everyone taking their cars into Lexus for any sort of repairs/recalls. Look over your car BEFORE driving away after servicing is completed. It is MUCH MUCH easier to pinpoint damages onsite to the dealership before driving the car away.