IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 08:09 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an update,

I have opened the Depo Headlight and measured for a retrofit. I chose Lightwerks as my supplier for the retrofit parts. Brandon was great to work with. He listens, is not pushy, and answers the phone. I sprung for Mini D2S projectors with Phillips CCI bulbs. Hoping to fit this projector with minimal housing cutting and maintain Hi/ Low beam in a 3 inch lens. We will see how the plan works out when the projector arrives. Just a FYI if you sign up an account with Lightwerks your would receive a 15% discount first time order. Hopefully the D2S 4.0 will be a good quality unit.

Tex
Old 02-28-18, 01:37 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Depo Light Retrofit beginning, The ordered from Lightwerkz arrived Today and I received it in 2 days from New Jersey and I am in Texas. I placed my order 1-2 pm their time Monday and Wednesday the UPS truck arrived. Wohoo..

Here is the original Projector with trim ring and shows a lot of room to allow the Projector to come forward if needed
again have space
New D2S 4.0 held in position and held off by a lower boss that the mount would need to be cut out to allow the D2s to sit flat. Bit look at the room behind the D2S to the housing... Wohoo
Just setting the new d2s in place, it appears close up and down and have room left and right and use the bolt method straight to the mount after trimming out a portion.
Here you can see where the trimming would need to take place
the distance from back of the housing to the front of there mount.
Yeah, you can see the length of the housing rearward. 2 5/8 inches
If you look you can see the rear of the new d2s housing and the space left between the housing. You want be able to do a bulb change, but allows a small access hole to be drilled.
Original trim bezel on top of new D2s and fits...
Just the original housing ... If you compare the original housing how much extending forward from the mount, with the new d2s is 1/4 of an inch more forward than original but the space we have to the lens is more than 1/4 inch so it will fit.
Here is the space I am referring to Lens to Projector... So I have wiggle room to move the entire mount forward or backward as needed. Now its time to shoot referance marks... bulb alignment between hi and low beak overlap and cut out the mount and mount the new d2S and compare patterns. Hi beam over lap to new d2S.
The following 2 users liked this post by obe1:
bbaugher47 (03-01-18), sinister2c (03-01-18)
Old 02-28-18, 02:10 PM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Subscribed! Interested in the results for sure
Old 02-28-18, 04:11 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice! Looking forward to the output shots
Old 02-28-18, 04:49 PM
petersu33
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't wait for the actual installation from you guys!

My questions is, if I have a 2007 HID with AFS, and I don't want to open up the housing and do the modification, my choices are:
1. I can get this halogen sets of Depo, purchase a HID conversion kits and pull the AFS fuse, live with wrong projectors.
2. Or I can pay $500 more to get a set of 2011 HID version, migrate all the bulbs and ballasts, maybe have the correct projectors and still lost AFS?

Why is there no perfect solutions
Old 02-28-18, 07:41 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by petersu33

My questions is, if I have a 2007 HID with AFS, and I don't want to open up the housing and do the modification, my choices are:
1. I can get this halogen sets of Depo, purchase a HID conversion kits and pull the AFS fuse, live with wrong projectors.
2. Or I can pay $500 more to get a set of 2011 HID version, migrate all the bulbs and ballasts, maybe have the correct projectors and still lost AFS?

you could always send your lights to Lightwerkz and have them modify the lights for you. A custom build as the say and I believe they recondition lens there. I also understand you can buy OEM halogen lights and have the lens exchanged to the HID ones, same lens without having to buy a complete HID headlamp. Or make choices, what to give away to get. There maybe a way to use an RX projector and maintain Something .. but that requires lens removal. I do not have the AFS system, and wanted the look of the 2011 later HID lights, I went aftermarket and upgrading them to Custom HID projectors to have better HID quality lighting than an OEM HID system. But not have the AFS system.. which I never had anyway.

If I was you, I believe if I had a good core and working motors, decent lens, do the Combine Back end projector and cut the darn hole, and use the front end of your projector and install and tune a clear lens, Best of all the worlds... and have AFS too, better HID and custom lights. If you lens is so so, then find a Halogen one and have the lens removed and installed on your OEM HID light while doing the upgrade. But MONEY!! I did not read your earlier post if any to see why your looking at changing.. Just options.. you may not know exist. Good Luck!

Occasionally, used 2011 newer HID OEM lights are 4sale here... a Used good condition set may not be a gad thing..

Tex
The following users liked this post:
petersu33 (03-01-18)
Old 02-28-18, 09:43 PM
GUILE88
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by petersu33

I am going with option 1 - ordered my Depo's a couple days ago and plan on transferring my after market xenon depot HID kit to them. I'm sure the light out put aint that bad. Plan on doing my fogs with HID too so should be fine. Will post pics and review when its done. (2010 lexus is250 that had stock halogens). I did the black out and one continues to get condensation so this is a nice cheap upgrade.
petersu33 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 12:15 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GUILE88
I am going with option 1 - ordered my Depo's a couple days ago and plan on transferring my after market xenon depot HID kit to them. I'm sure the light out put aint that bad. Plan on doing my fogs with HID too so should be fine. Will post pics and review when its done. (2010 lexus is250 that had stock halogens). I did the black out and one continues to get condensation so this is a nice cheap upgrade.

I believe you should be happy. I shot the reference lines for relationship to the high beam tonight and saw the cut off line defined actually where it is not well defined on my OEM halogen with HID 35 watt 6000K bulbs. I shot the reference lines at 30 feet, and was frankly surprised.

Good luck, and check the pins on the connector, I had one not locked in. Simpler fix, pull the white locking tab out and slide in the unlocked pin... after it seats into position re install the white lock back.
Old 03-01-18, 12:36 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

An update on the Depo light retrofit .. I shot the reference lines on the Depo Halogen bulbs in relationship to Hi Low Beams. I removed the projector, and cut out the material where the New Projector will set into position flat against the internal mount. I will upload pics when I have to completely fitted. There are screws passing through the sides edges on this projector and I am relieving this area for the screws not to cause the unit not to set flush 'Flat" against the mount. It was late and I came inside and let my compressor cool off. So far so good... better than expected. I have the new D2S projector positioned up down, within 1/32 of the lens being centered like the original one, next is left right and then rotation.I should test fit later today, late morning early afternoon and fit the lens and see how It aligns, Fingers Crossed.... If lens matches up I will drill the mount holes and slot them some, to be able to tweak rotation after installing on the car without sealing up the lens. Get the cut offs aligned with each other, then close up and reseal the lens.

Later today, I should know if this is going to work and look correctly.

I am also installing Bluetooth controlled RGB Demon Eyes on these projectors as something different. Cell phone controllable and endless color selection.

Like always the 1st one takes the most time. Once I get this one done, the next should proceed a lot faster.

Project is moving along...
Picts will follow later

Tex
Old 03-01-18, 04:57 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Good work...I was planning to open mine this week but haven't had time. When you have 3 young children, time is valuable and car projects take 3 months. I did test the wiring this week on the Depo's. I also looked at my OEM AFS wiring and I think I can cut and paste my OEM harness onto my DEPO lights. I want to keep the auto-level and rig the side swivel AFS motors (to do nothing), outside of the housing to keep AFS light from blinking. I could swap pins of the one's I need, but there are like 10 wires associated with AFS, easier to solder the 6 wires for low/high beams and parking lights. I probably don't need the flasher resistor either, since I already have an LED flasher relay that prevents hyper flash.

I think the DRL are only on the "low" setting like when the parking lights are on the OEM ones. I'm going to see if I can swap one of the aftermarket $12 "hi-low" DRL drivers when I open them up. I want to have full output on DRL mode and the "low" dim parking DRL when lights are on. Am also considering having the switchback in turn signal mode too...I don't think the OEM had that, but lots of newer car LED DRL's do. My 2015 Sienna SE has the switchback.

Also, for the cutting back hole, not much clearance to swap bulbs when on car. The hole will just be so you don't have to open H/L up to do it. Once you drill, you can probably just put some heavy duty tape over it until you need to swap. Depending on how big your ballast is, you can probably bolt to the bottom where the OEM ballast would go and drill a hole to run wiring.

Last edited by sinister2c; 03-01-18 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-01-18, 09:52 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

An install and test fit video and comparison of Depo to 2006-2010 HID AFS light.

petersu33 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 10:36 AM
obe1
Pit Crew

Here are the Pics as promised. I fit the new Projector and laid in the place the Lens Bezel and see where I am at. I started by measuring the center of the Orig proctor to a known point at top and laid the new projector in and marked and ground out the area to allow the projector to be centered up down, then mark around the bottom to be cut out.
Lens and Bezel laid in place
Hey there room for the projector to move

Just the D2S projector laying in place not drilled
In place and clearance between the bulb and housing, It will need a hole to access the bulb, and maybe exit the wire or use a 90 and keep them inside and exit to the ballast somewhere else.
Old 03-01-18, 02:07 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Waiting for the end result on the output of this setup.

​​​​
Old 03-01-18, 09:53 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Awaiting a full review. I'm tired of hitting my headlights with sand paper every 3 months!
Use Optilens. I had my OEMs sanded down and instead of using the restorer's protective wax/coating I used 2 coats of optilens and my lights have been good for over 2 years now.
Old 03-02-18, 10:35 PM
obe1
Pit Crew

Here are update picts of the Projector retrofit project with New D2S 4.0 Projectors in new Depo lights
Demon Eyes RGB kinds with Bluetooth Controller..

Bolted on Number 6 screws for wiggle room... inches of Horizontal Adjustment is needed... Taped and threaded into the mount

The "HOLE" i was concerned and tried avoid cutting and almost using a LED Projector and decided not to and go Full Monte HID The hole is 2 inch and I can remove and replace the bulb through the hole. The 2 1/2 hole I was panning for did not fit well in a flat area to us a boot and seal up.

Finished look, before mounting in the car and conform Horizontal Cut Off alignment matches the other side then Install the lens!

The straight connector used for the HID Bulb and how far it extends out the back, The good news it appears to be ok, but I can move the entire mount forward because there is room to the lens bezel it appears.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights