IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

DEPO Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 04:46 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Low beam output review with halogen and H11b HID.

The following 3 users liked this post by sinister2c:
bbaugher47 (02-11-18), Drpower (02-12-18), MikeFig82 (02-09-18)
Old 02-10-18, 05:10 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by sinister2c
Low beam output review with halogen and H11b HID.

https://youtu.be/z5enJcNDvHo
What do you think is causing the spotty spots. I know it's a side mount projector. So the bulb reflects to the actual projector. The light is probably sneaking past the cutoff shield, or reflecting off of it?
Old 02-11-18, 11:00 AM
Nespo2330
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very informative review. Aesthetically speaking they look identical to stock but it seems like the projector is obviously not as good. This seems to be a great option for those looking to keep stock look but retrofitting a projector..
Old 02-11-18, 11:04 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
What do you think is causing the spotty spots. I know it's a side mount projector. So the bulb reflects to the actual projector. The light is probably sneaking past the cutoff shield, or reflecting off of it?
the drop off to the right is definitely the side mount bulb issue. It's projecting the capsule of the bulb and reflector bowl is not designed for it. I've never personally seen output of a 2IS halogen OEM
headlight with HID kit...suspect it is similar output .

the halogen output looks smooth. Most of the HID spottiness may be just the high output amplifying the poor halogen projector design.
Old 02-11-18, 06:08 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Today I have a chance to install this headlight set to my friend car. The fitment is good, light out put is good. The connector is universal not like standard OEM plug but it’s not the point I want to share.
the main point is the brightness of the LED DRL. OEM is great as it always so I would skip it.

Here is little head up of VIP Motorz vs Depot headlight
1. LED shape on Depot is much more better (I love it)
2. The LED DRL brightness is not as bright as VIP. I don’t know how far we could see it and how it stand out during day light (it’s dark now)
3. You got to cut off wire to re-route it if you want it light up all the time when your ACC is on (Little harder to get job done but doable using beep test to find the right pin)

Dont get me wrong, all I want is to see how was both set. I try to take picture of it during daylight to find out how the visible. Overal, event the LED DRL not as bright as VIP, I would go with depot due to the output, design (OEM clone), and price
here is some pix of the DRL brightness
VIP on top

Close up on depot
VIP closeup
Depot closeup
Both of them again
The following users liked this post:
leoshueh (02-11-18)
Old 02-11-18, 06:10 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

VIP got great visible in distant at night time than depot. I would light to say 7.5 to 10.
i will take picture of it side by side soon
also, LED on vip is more white while depot is little warmer color
Old 02-13-18, 02:22 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
Today I have a chance to install this headlight set to my friend car. The fitment is good, light out put is good. The connector is universal not like standard OEM plug but it’s not the point I want to share.
the main point is the brightness of the LED DRL. OEM is great as it always so I would skip it.

Here is little head up of VIP Motorz vs Depot headlight
1. LED shape on Depot is much more better (I love it)
2. The LED DRL brightness is not as bright as VIP. I don’t know how far we could see it and how it stand out during day light (it’s dark now)
3. You got to cut off wire to re-route it if you want it light up all the time when your ACC is on (Little harder to get job done but doable using beep test to find the right pin)

Dont get me wrong, all I want is to see how was both set. I try to take picture of it during daylight to find out how the visible. Overal, event the LED DRL not as bright as VIP, I would go with depot due to the output, design (OEM clone), and price
here is some pix of the DRL brightness
VIP on top

Close up on depot
VIP closeup
Depot closeup
Both of them again

Do you have any pics with them mounted on the car? Preferably some output night shots too.

Thanks
Old 02-13-18, 03:06 PM
hypermyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Planning to do this Depo headlight soon. What site does have the best deal for morimoto H11b kit? Also, I have HID but don’t want to transfer it. Wiring shouldn’t be a problem right?
Old 02-14-18, 02:02 AM
laovo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow these are a great price, and closest to OEM that I’ve seen! Definitely buying over the summer
Old 02-14-18, 07:45 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Do you have any pics with them mounted on the car? Preferably some output night shots too.

Thanks
trying to set a day with him cause it’s not my car so everything got to be with him
Old 02-14-18, 02:06 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Originally Posted by hypermyk
Planning to do this Depo headlight soon. What site does have the best deal for morimoto H11b kit? Also, I have HID but don’t want to transfer it. Wiring shouldn’t be a problem right?
If you plan on using aftermarket HID...just pull your AFS fuse and wiring the headlight as if it was a non-HID headlight. Prob need to search for some old threads with photos of that. Usually involves drilling the cover to route the HID ballast wires back and forth. As for a Morimoto kit, TRS is their house brand. Usually there are coupon codes floating around. I usually only buy stuff during their holiday sales so I don't know what their normal codes are.
Old 02-14-18, 07:17 PM
hypermyk
Driver School Candidate

If you plan on using aftermarket HID...just pull your AFS fuse and wiring the headlight as if it was a non-HID headlight. Prob need to search for some old threads with photos of that. Usually involves drilling the cover to route the HID ballast wires back and forth. As for a Morimoto kit, TRS is their house brand. Usually there are coupon codes floating around. I usually only buy stuff during their holiday sales so I don't know what their normal codes are.
right now, I have 2013 headlights that I traded i got from another member here through trade plus cash. He told me that driver side led is not working due to minor accident. I don’t used my IS much as I have a Prius for daily. Little did I know there is moisture going in and now driver side low beam is not working.

I have my AFS light blinking due to this, it does not bother me. For the wiring, if I just leave it as it is, will it work with plug and play aftermarket HID? When you said, wiring it to non-HID, it sounds complicated. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-15-18, 05:07 AM
sinister2c
Racer

right now, I have 2013 headlights that I traded i got from another member here through trade plus cash. He told me that driver side led is not working due to minor accident. I don’t used my IS much as I have a Prius for daily. Little did I know there is moisture going in and now driver side low beam is not working.

I have my AFS light blinking due to this, it does not bother me. For the wiring, if I just leave it as it is, will it work with plug and play aftermarket HID? When you said, wiring it to non-HID, it sounds complicated. Thanks for your input.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html

What year is your car? if you have 2011+ then HID only has autolevel for AFS, you can keep that if you wire the stock autolevel wiring to new harness. If you have 2006-2010, then it also has side to side swivel for AFS, more complicated. Most people who don't care for either features of AFS, will just pull the fuse.

If all this is scary to you...then you should pay someone to do it.
Old 02-15-18, 08:25 AM
hypermyk
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html

What year is your car? if you have 2011+ then HID only has autolevel for AFS, you can keep that if you wire the stock autolevel wiring to new harness. If you have 2006-2010, then it also has side to side swivel for AFS, more complicated. Most people who don't care for either features of AFS, will just pull the fuse.

If all this is scary to you...then you should pay someone to do it.
mine is an 08. Looks like I’ll just buy the driver side just to address that issue. Appreciate your help!
Old 02-15-18, 12:11 PM
sinister2c
Racer

mine is an 08. Looks like I’ll just buy the driver side just to address that issue. Appreciate your help!
If you have 08, then still need to pull the AFS fuse to stop the blinking dash. The auto level will stop working.

Replacing bad looks driver side looks like a $600 option to get a used driver OEM headlight. Just watch out that you get the correct version with the "eye lash" lens to match your 2013 H/L. Lots of sellers out there might have the 2011 version without or there was a slew of defective housings out there that had the bubbling internal paint. It was a TSIB warranty replacement a few years ago. I imagine alot of those defective ones ended up on secondary market.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights