IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Had a 2017 IS200t F-Sport for a day... My impressions compared to my 2is

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-17, 02:20 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Had a 2017 IS200t F-Sport for a day... My impressions compared to my 2is

I took my 2010 IS350 in the other day for the Takata Airbag recall. They gave me a loaner. I had a choice of a NX 200t or the IS 200t F-Sport. I chose the IS because I wanted to see how the 3iS compares to my 2iS. I was considering getting the 2017 IS200t F-sport or a IS350 F-sport to replace my car in a few months but I won't now. Here are my thoughts (I know its a little unfair mine being a 350 and having more options in my car but i think i still took note of some appreciable differences).

Pros:
1) F Sport Gauges are eye candy and slick: I really liked the gauges on the F sport. Switching from Normal mode and sport made the redline more prominent and defintiely looked like you were doing something (even if the engine was not...more on that later).

2) Transmission: It had an 8 speed which I loved the reaction of the paddles compared to my 2IS gear limiters. The shifts were snappy and quick and held higher gears unless you were lugging the engine and then it wold downshift but it held low gears until you shifted even up to red line. I think 8 speeds are superfluous though as 7 and 8 were useless in real life. If it was made for better mileage I did not notice (more on this later as well). I did not check to see what gear it was to 60mph so cant comment on that.

3) Headlights: The 3is headlights are much more modern looking than my 2010. 2011 and 2012 headlights though IMHO are better looking.

4) Steering and suspension: Steering is a little stiffer than my car which i prefer. Handling was about the same with a slightly firmer ride which i assume is from the F sport suspension. Not too firm though so i consider this a pro.

5) Seats: Nice bolstering!

Cons:
1) Power (or lack thereof): Ok well here is the kicker. This 200t (again I acknowlege it is unfair since I have 350) felt like it was always working hard. Sport mode or Normal mode seemed like there was no difference. there is a little engine growl (which is actually a pro in my book) but then got harsh as the day went on. It felt really cheap. Not as abd as my 2013 Prius but felt like a more pedestrian car like a corolla.

2) Mileage: Ok, I get putting in a 2.0 four banger turbo to solve the mileage/power balance problem but I got 21.5mpg at the end of the day vs 22.5 that I average in my car every day. Granted, I drove the 200t a little more aggressively while testing out the manual shifting but not a great deal more than I drive my car since I drive pretty aggressively most days, but I did not see the benefit of an inferior engine for mileage's sake.

3) Infotainment: Ahhh yeah. I prefer a touch screen much better. The one thing is though the 3is had the hard buttons for climate which i prefer over to the setup in my car with switching screens just to turn down the fan. The **** setup was actually more distracting than my touch screen as well. Maybe something that gets better with time but it was frustrating if you are used to a touchscreen.

4) Plastics: Cheap looking dash plastics and buttons.

5) Arm rest: not a lot of storage in there and instead of having the ability to slide back and open upward, it opens to the right and only accessible to the driver with this setup. This not that much of an issue but still there.

6) Seat/Nu Luxe: The Nuluxe is soft but feels fake to me. Might be a nit pick but still...

7) Turn Signal Stalk: WTH is up with this? There was no detent. I like falsh to pass but it was almost impossible for me to know if the turn signal was on or just flash to pass. The flasher is esp quiet which coupled with my hearing loss I couldnt tell if my signal was on without looking at the gauge.

8) Styling: Now here is where I thought I would have liked the look of the car. I always have seen them on the road and really thought they looked pretty good. After seeing it all day yesterday though, I am not as much a fan as I used to be. In some angles it looks really good (rear 3/4, profile) head on it looks kind of frog-like. I am certain now that I really prefer the jaguaresque organic and sleeker shape of the 2is.

Well that was all I could remember. All in all it was not a bad car. I would love to have that transmission and the gauges in my car but other than that not much else. I think I know why I still love my car so much. Maybe in 2019 when they redesign it it would be better and then I can consider getting a new car but for now I am going to continue to enjoy my "Old" 2010 IS350.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this from those who have driven both.

Last edited by Joelseff; 09-14-17 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 05:36 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Joelseff
6) Seat/Nu Luxe: The Nuluxe is soft but feels fake to me. Might be a nit pick but still...
Better get used to it.

Leather is no longer an option for the IS model line starting with the MY 2018.

Confirmed with multiple dealers and Lexus's Product Sheet below:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus/pro...duct++info.htm
Old 09-14-17, 06:40 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 355F1
Better get used to it.

Leather is no longer an option for the IS model line starting with the MY 2018.

Confirmed with multiple dealers and Lexus's Product Sheet below:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/lexus/pro...duct++info.htm

We'll that sucks...
Old 09-14-17, 06:47 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I find the interior on the 3IS to be better than the 2IS. They really did a good job improving it visually. I heard the controller for the infotainment system is a nightmare but I imagine it takes some getting used to and then it works fine. I'm not sure how the materials feel or how good the quality is but it definitely looks a lot better. The digital F Sport gauges is the direction where the market is heading and honestly they look very nice and the controls for them are really simple. The transmission, I imagine, also shifts a lot lot faster than the 2IS 6 speed and probably gets better fuel economy under relatively normal driving conditions. I also know it has a bit more space in the back and in the trunk.

...And that is about it. I think the 2IS exterior looks better and it is definitely faster due to less weight and much better gearing (even if you compare 350 vs 350). Styling is okay but isn't to everyone's liking. I feel like you summed it up well. I'd also stick with my 2IS.
Old 09-14-17, 08:32 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rezno
I find the interior on the 3IS to be better than the 2IS. They really did a good job improving it visually. I heard the controller for the infotainment system is a nightmare but I imagine it takes some getting used to and then it works fine. I'm not sure how the materials feel or how good the quality is but it definitely looks a lot better. The digital F Sport gauges is the direction where the market is heading and honestly they look very nice and the controls for them are really simple. The transmission, I imagine, also shifts a lot lot faster than the 2IS 6 speed and probably gets better fuel economy under relatively normal driving conditions. I also know it has a bit more space in the back and in the trunk.

...And that is about it. I think the 2IS exterior looks better and it is definitely faster due to less weight and much better gearing (even if you compare 350 vs 350). Styling is okay but isn't to everyone's liking. I feel like you summed it up well. I'd also stick with my 2IS.
The plastics inside the car look OK but feel just like the switchgear in my Prius and my Sienna. Maybe the 350 has better quality interior materials but the 200t had some cheap Toyota parts bin stuff. There was a brushed texture on the fan/radio controls area that looked pretty solid but overall I felt the quality was lacking. The interior layout though is nice. I'll give it that. Oh I like the analog clock (I'm a watch fanatic as well lol)
Old 09-15-17, 09:06 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

3) Headlights: The 3is headlights are much more modern looking than my 2010. 2011 and 2012 headlights though IMHO are better looking.
I like the 2017 headlights better than the 2014-2016 headlights. Too bad the US didn't get the triple-L LED headlights that other countries have for 2017.

I didn't like the round curves under the headlights in the 2014-2016 . It made the headlights seem really small with the gap between the swoosh DRLs.
Old 09-15-17, 09:53 PM
triple7is
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice detail review. I got to say you are really lucky you got the IS as a loaner. I took my car for the airbag issue also but they gave me a non Lexus rental. I really though the is200t would at least have slightly more power. I have a 250 and yeah it definitely need more power, lexus need to step up the power now if they want to beat the competition. They def win in body style and quality imo thats for sure.
Old 09-15-17, 11:04 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The plastics inside the car look OK but feel just like the switchgear in my Prius and my Sienna. Maybe the 350 has better quality interior materials but the 200t had some cheap Toyota parts bin stuff. There was a brushed texture on the fan/radio controls area that looked pretty solid but overall I felt the quality was lacking. The interior layout though is nice. I'll give it that. Oh I like the analog clock (I'm a watch fanatic as well lol)
I haven't driven the 3IS but I did get to sit inside one and get a feel for how the interior is. I guess I'll have to test drive it a bit just to see how the quality of the interior materials. I don't think the 200t trim differs much from the 350. +1 for the analog clock. As long as it isn't the only clock in the car, it is a neat addition.
Old 09-15-17, 11:18 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The IS200T is under powered with less MPG compared to many cars like the BMW 328i. So I expected it to be slow. But in my 350 I average 19 mpg. Not sure how you got 22.5 unless you drive grandma mode.
Old 09-21-17, 11:25 AM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by istarzan
The IS200T is under powered with less MPG compared to many cars like the BMW 328i. So I expected it to be slow. But in my 350 I average 19 mpg. Not sure how you got 22.5 unless you drive grandma mode.
I drive opposite traffic(seldom stop n go but mostly open freeway both ways) and go about 75 but sometimes 85-100 on some stretches on my 25 minute commute. I DEFINITELY do NOT granny my car. SOmetimes I drive like i gotta take a $#!T HAHAHA... I consistently get 22.5 avg MPG if my gauge in the car is correct.
Old 09-22-17, 02:15 PM
Raar
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive opposite traffic(seldom stop n go but mostly open freeway both ways) and go about 75 but sometimes 85-100 on some stretches on my 25 minute commute. I DEFINITELY do NOT granny my car. SOmetimes I drive like i gotta take a $#!T HAHAHA... I consistently get 22.5 avg MPG if my gauge in the car is correct.
I drive the same way lol, and get 21.4 according to my gauge. Assuming the difference is I get more local/traffic.
Old 09-26-17, 08:07 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I too fairly recently got an is200 loaner when i did the airbad recall on my 08 is350. What I like most about the 3rd gen is, is the interior. I do like the exterior updates, but they are no a game changer. My wife also recently got an nx200 and I actually really enjoy the nx. The interior is very similar to the is200 and the power makes more sense for that type of car than it does for, what you would expect to be, a much sportier is200. My wife has the fsport seats and i like them alot, i don't mind the quality of the nuluxe and i love the bolstering.