IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is350 Full bolt-on & OV-tune

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-17, 11:47 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is350 Full bolt-on & OV-tune

Hi guys, I just wanted to share some info on how much our cars can push (2010 Is350)...
Full Bolt-On's:
OBX headers
Takeda Intake
Invidia Midpipe
Fsport Exhaust
OV-Tune (7400 rpm)

So from the dyno line, it only read 260 whp. So in my mind I thought "that does not seem accurate." Before I left I talked to the guy and asked him why is it lower than I expected, he told me it is not completely accurate on what it is actually pushing because his Dynamometer is for tuning, so its 15% off from the actual power your car is pushing. So I added the 15% to those results and got my actual number.
After doing the math it gave me 299 whp. So from whp to hp conversion gives me 359 to the crank! Overall I was super happy and pleased with the results, more to come as I have a joe-z tube still to install, but If you want to see pics or video from the dyno check out my Instagram @valonelopez

*Side note* our governor with the Ov-tune is 155 instead of 145 now lol. Don't worry it was done from the dyno.
The following users liked this post:
bbaugher47 (09-09-17)
Old 09-09-17, 04:25 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Not bad at all! Thanks for posting this as I think this will help a bunch of members.
Old 09-09-17, 07:06 AM
lopezva
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Not bad at all! Thanks for posting this as I think this will help a bunch of members.
No problem, I always was curious myself so anyone else that wants to know has numbers now!
Old 09-09-17, 09:18 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Whats all required for the tune? Any other engine modifications? I'm curious as I have the same car with F sport intake and Tanabe axle back. No headers for me though.
Old 09-09-17, 12:39 PM
08treefidd
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the OV hand held unit or did you send the ECU in? Were any adjustments necessary or did the tune look good across the chart?

I didn't see a dyno graph, air fuels good? Thanks
Old 09-09-17, 03:03 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Originally Posted by SeanO
Whats all required for the tune? Any other engine modifications? I'm curious as I have the same car with F sport intake and Tanabe axle back. No headers for me though.
Nothing is required for the OV-tune, however you could get more power from other mods with the tune on top. I wish I did a before and after dyno with the tune but oh well lol.
Old 09-09-17, 03:18 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Originally Posted by 08treefidd
Do you have the OV hand held unit or did you send the ECU in? Were any adjustments necessary or did the tune look good across the chart?

I didn't see a dyno graph, air fuels good? Thanks
Yea I have the hand held unit, So from my chart it declined at 5400 rpm to 6100 rpm by about 30 which i found really awkward but then skyrocked back up after as if I hit boost. He told me it was as from 6100-7400 was like V-tech because it quickly rebounded and hit the max hp all the way through.
The AFR seemed a little low which I dont fully understand where it should be at but it was at 12.3 on the chart.
Old 09-11-17, 11:43 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Strange that full bolt ons and a tune only got you up to 299whp. The car usually puts down 265-270whp stock. OV advertises their tune at 18-26whp. That plus headers should put you over the 300whp mark without any other modification. Without other mods, OV dyno'ed their car with the tune and it put down 289-290whp (source: https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...ecu-bench-tune [Second picture]) I'm going to assume that this is because of the inaccurate dyno.

Either that or I am an idiot and have no idea what I'm talking about. Which is very likely.
Old 09-11-17, 12:02 PM
bbaugher47

Rrracing power pack is advertised as 38-48 WHP with their tune , ppe headers, and ark cat back for the 3is*. So maybe its a little low. Using your lowest hp rating @ 265whp and rr racings @ 38whp would net 303whp. Using the greater of the numbers would net 318whp. Using just the estimates provided. PPE headers may provide more hp vs the obx . A lot of factors to consider .
Old 09-11-17, 03:56 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rezno
Strange that full bolt ons and a tune only got you up to 299whp. The car usually puts down 265-270whp stock. OV advertises their tune at 18-26whp. That plus headers should put you over the 300whp mark without any other modification. Without other mods, OV dyno'ed their car with the tune and it put down 289-290whp (source: https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/...ecu-bench-tune [Second picture]) I'm going to assume that this is because of the inaccurate dyno.

Either that or I am an idiot and have no idea what I'm talking about. Which is very likely.
I mean maybe im pushing more but I based it off of this for the power maybe its not accurate? https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php
Old 09-11-17, 04:08 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Rrracing power pack is advertised as 38-48 WHP with their tune , ppe headers, and ark cat back for the 3is*. So maybe its a little low. Using your lowest hp rating @ 265whp and rr racings @ 38whp would net 303whp. Using the greater of the numbers would net 318whp. Using just the estimates provided. PPE headers may provide more hp vs the obx . A lot of factors to consider .
Maybe it does, Im only running the OBX because i got them for $50 and were still like new haha. Maybe it was their dyno, not too sure but I thought the stock whp is only aroud 250. Theres another video I found he has 275 whp, same mods except he didnt have the OV-tune and headers.
Old 09-11-17, 04:13 PM
bbaugher47

I dont blame you for the header purchase. Lol. I think your numbers are good. Any smells with the headers btw?
Old 09-11-17, 04:17 PM
lopezva
Rookie

I dont blame you for the header purchase. Lol. I think your numbers are good. Any smells with the headers btw?
Oh yea, smells like a go kart everywhere xD
bbaugher47 (09-11-17)
Old 09-12-17, 11:25 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lopezva
I mean maybe im pushing more but I based it off of this for the power maybe its not accurate? https://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php
Yeah that definitely is a really antiquated site. Modern automatic is 5 speed+? We have some transmissions now that have twice the gears. So yeah I'd take that estimate with a grain of salt. If I had to give a guess, you're probably pushing (assuming all numbers below are underestimates):

Tune: 18-26hp
Headers: 10hp (not sure how much OBX headers add in terms of power)
Exhaust mods: 10hp

Assuming stock is 260, 260 + 18 + 20 = 298whp completely underestimating everything. So yeah you're probably making more power.

Again, I could be completely wrong on this. I'll try to get dyno'd whenever the shop near me has another free dyno day.
lopezva (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 05:16 PM
lopezva
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rezno
Yeah that definitely is a really antiquated site. Modern automatic is 5 speed+? We have some transmissions now that have twice the gears. So yeah I'd take that estimate with a grain of salt. If I had to give a guess, you're probably pushing (assuming all numbers below are underestimates):

Tune: 18-26hp
Headers: 10hp (not sure how much OBX headers add in terms of power)
Exhaust mods: 10hp

Assuming stock is 260, 260 + 18 + 20 = 298whp completely underestimating everything. So yeah you're probably making more power.

Again, I could be completely wrong on this. I'll try to get dyno'd whenever the shop near me has another free dyno day.
Yea I just updated the OV tune I was running the 1.02, now its the most up to date one 1.03 and I feel more of a pull than before the dyno so maybe it was just from the update. I will probably get a re-dyno from another shop i know down here in SoCal so when I do I will post the charts.

Quick Reply: Is350 Full bolt-on & OV-tune