New to me 2006 IS220D

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 04:59 AM
IS220Deu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to me 2006 IS220D

Hello guys,

First of all this is my first post here, I'm from Portugal (Europe) so excuse me comming over to your side of the world but there's simply not enough active Lexus forums over here.

I just bought an IS220D Mark2 from a good friend. Car has 180k Km (111k miles) on the clock and is in pretty good shape, overall.
I had previously done some research and found out these cars have several issues that might or might not happen, the worst of all is the famous head gasket one.

I noticed my car has some pinkish coolant sprayed on top of the plastic cover and below the coolant reservoir (radiator/radiator fan), Doesn't look fresh but I will clean it up and drive a bit to see if it's still happening. The coolant came off of the purge tube from the coolant reservoir because the spray is directly below where the tube is pointed at. My friend told me last time his mechanic topped the coolant it came out and that's what caused the mess. I believe him but also want to protect my "investment" so I'll be going to Lexus next week to have them check it out.

Coolant level is only slightly above the low level although the car had been running 1h prior and it's very hot outside so I'm not sure it's normal or not.

Another thing I've noticed is, the temp gauge doesn't stay in the middle like in my previous cars but rather stays 1 or 2 small bars behind the middle. Is this normal behaviour? Most of the cars I've driven have a 90ºC (194ºF) mark in the middle but since this one doesnt I'm not sure it's supposed to be like that. My friend told me it always ran like that. I've checked some videos and it does indeed look like it doesn't stay right in the middle but couple bars behind it so I guess it's normal?

Also, my car doesn't have EGR since he removed it due to too much city driving. I'll be doing mostly highway runs so hoppefuly I won't have any DPF problems myself.

As additional info, car has been serviced timely although most of them weren't on Lexus but on a different shop. He did take the car to Lexus before selling it to me, at the 150/160k Km mark and they did a full service (oil, filters, etc) and cleaned up the injectors, and told him the watter pump might need replacing since it had a small leak.

Anyway, thanks for any input you might have.
Cheers
Old 08-12-17, 05:54 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

First off ,Welcome to the family and don't apologize for coming to our side of the world. Lol. So , most members here have gasoline engines but a few do have the diesel. So hopefully they will see your post and give you feedback because honestly out knowledge will be a little lacking with the diesel. But suspension and ascetic wise we are more capable of helping.
The following users liked this post:
IS220Deu (08-12-17)
Old 08-12-17, 05:58 AM
IS220Deu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
First off ,Welcome to the family and don't apologize for coming to our side of the world. Lol. So , most members here have gasoline engines but a few do have the diesel. So hopefully they will see your post and give you feedback because honestly out knowledge will be a little lacking with the diesel. But suspension and ascetic wise we are more capable of helping.
Thanks, I figured as much that most of you would have the gasoline engines and not the diesel one.
Old 08-12-17, 07:21 AM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are few 220d ownes lurking here as well.

Check coolant level when the engine is warm (working temp). Coolant level drops when the engine cools down, so adding more coolant to cold engine can cause the spill from overflow pipe.
Somewhere in the middle, between min and max level is what seems to work.

There are some coolant/engine problems, most cases blown head gasket (repairable) or cracks in the block (need new engine).
Test the coolant fluid if there are any exhaust gases in it.

I know people who have closed the egr valve for various reasons (engine remaping etc). Some are fine but there have been issues with dpf filter later that needs to be removed also.
After removal egr and dpf filter needs to be programmed out of ECU.
IS220Deu (08-12-17)
Old 08-12-17, 09:20 AM
IS220Deu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Allan1
There are few 220d ownes lurking here as well.

Check coolant level when the engine is warm (working temp). Coolant level drops when the engine cools down, so adding more coolant to cold engine can cause the spill from overflow pipe.
Somewhere in the middle, between min and max level is what seems to work.

There are some coolant/engine problems, most cases blown head gasket (repairable) or cracks in the block (need new engine).
Test the coolant fluid if there are any exhaust gases in it.

I know people who have closed the egr valve for various reasons (engine remaping etc). Some are fine but there have been issues with dpf filter later that needs to be removed also.
After removal egr and dpf filter needs to be programmed out of ECU.
Hey,
Thanks for your answer.

I have done an engine remap to accomodate the fact that the EGR is out so I should be fine on that end.

The problem that is really bothering me is the coolant/head gasket one because it's potentially the most expensive to repair.
I will take the car to Lexus on Monday and let them take a look. They told my friend the watter pump had a small leak (20k Km ago) and my friend decided not to repair/change it because he felt they were tricking him into getting a new pump and as far as I can see, the problem hasn't become worse so it's probably a very small leak or maybe even some worn out o-ring?

Apart from that the car runs nice, sometimes vibrates a lot for 3s then stops (while stopped) not sure why, maybe a blown out engine mount and also there's a noise comming from the front brake pads, when driving on bad roads, that goes away when I press the brake pedal (brake pads are fine themselves so I think it's the clamps that hold them that are the problem).

I will post news on monday or so.
Old 08-12-17, 12:13 PM
Allan1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Water pump is known issue, these wear out in 150k km, so yours needs to be replaced. Had mine replaced at 159k km. Oem part was ok priced also.
IS220Deu (08-12-17)