IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

4L stroked turbo 2GR-FSE ?? 500hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 11:09 PM
YoungReezy
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4L stroked turbo 2GR-FSE ?? 500hp

Was this ever posted? This is amazing to me.

http://www.turbofast.com.au/GT86.html
Old 07-25-17, 03:58 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

I haven't seen it before. But pretty neat build. I bet it was crazy expensive!
Old 07-25-17, 10:35 AM
YoungReezy
Rookie

How much do you think he spent? And you think he could have achieved the same numbers at 3.5? I am so gullible i thought this would at least be remotely affordable
if i saved a bit of change and got excited 😂
Old 07-25-17, 02:48 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Additional thread I made a while ago regarding this build :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...o-2gr-fse.html
Old 07-25-17, 11:10 PM
YoungReezy
Rookie

Oh i didnt think it'd be easy, nor cheap. But is it realistic to spend less than $10k achieving similar results ? The is350 is almost plenty fast enough for me as a daily driven car. I plan to keep it for a few more years and am not in love with or interested in purchasing an ISF afterward. Actually leaning more toward e90 M3 or c6 audi s6 up next but if i was able to get this done it would keep me in my IS for quite a bit longer. Im actually really interested in somewhat replicating this 2gr-fse build.
Old 07-26-17, 11:12 PM
YoungReezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitabel
Depends upon how much fabrication you can do (or trade for). IDK how much boost the 2GR will take (head gasket, pistons, rods) without upgrades, but 2 small turbos can easily be had for $1,200 and run off mods to the stock exhaust manifolds. No need for cams, bigger TB, large plenum manifold or any other speed equipment, just enough to installs the turbos and prevent the motor from going BANG. $10,00 has to be more than enough for that.
replicating this 2gr-fse build
Half of that money produced nothing except text for the article and promo for the shop.
Boost replaces all missing speed equipment. If you wanted power (instead of very expensive one-off parts) go to 30 psi and 600 hp.
Look what the GTR does at stock displacement.
same, i looked really hard to no avail. I was hoping some brave soul would have turboed the engine and blown one by now seeing as its been 11 years. lol, i guess it might have to be me. Im coming from a mk3 supra, so im a little familiar with the turbo world. I alreay have the turbos in mind i'd use. Same ones i was planning to run on my daily driver 400hp 2jz build. What i dont have is alot of knowledge on turboing high compression engines, however i remember being told running e85 helps, which is possible via the OV tune right? Or is that still in beta.. Correct me if im wrong im still learning. E85 + low boost 7-8psi? (not exactly shooting for 600hp or 30psi lol) should make for decent power bump.. but i agree it should be capable for less than $10k for sure. Hoping to get some more feedback
Old 07-27-17, 09:55 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Unless a high pressure fuel pump can be created to work on our motors, an effective E85 tune would not be able to work on our platform. Sure our factory fuel setup can work with E85. But can the system in its current states flow the additional 30% more fuel needed for a boosted E85 application...no.

You're best bet is using a set of aftermarket headers and manage to locate a single or twins in the engine bay or immediately right after the exit of the headers. Of course finding a tuner and having it tuned in-person is key. We don't have boosted bench tunes available for our car. Run 93 oct with meth.

I've been wanting to do a TT setup for years; but with only having the 350 as my only vehicle limits my creativity.
Old 07-30-17, 12:26 PM
YoungReezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
Unless a high pressure fuel pump can be created to work on our motors, an effective E85 tune would not be able to work on our platform. Sure our factory fuel setup can work with E85. But can the system in its current states flow the additional 30% more fuel needed for a boosted E85 application...no.

You're best bet is using a set of aftermarket headers and manage to locate a single or twins in the engine bay or immediately right after the exit of the headers. Of course finding a tuner and having it tuned in-person is key. We don't have boosted bench tunes available for our car. Run 93 oct with meth.

I've been wanting to do a TT setup for years; but with only having the 350 as my only vehicle limits my creativity.
im in cali. Dont even have immediate access to 93 lol
Old 08-01-17, 02:20 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw this post a while back and it is really cool to see that someone could actually tune this engine to crazy proportions. Shame it is really expensive and complicated, but cool to know it can be done I guess. If you really want crazy power out of the 2GR FSE motor and you have an extra ~6k to spend on parts and labor you could always supercharge it, but it is probably best to put that extra money to a faster car in the future (I'm eyeing either a 340i, RS3, or Q50 Red Sport for now).
Old 08-01-17, 04:47 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't even imagine how many Gt86's Toyota would have sold if they had the 2GR-FSE come as an option. Instead they put a *****ty Scoobydoo engine it. Same with the Supra and the BMW engine garbage, should come with a new and improved 2JZ.

I guess with electric around the corner it's all moot.
Old 08-02-17, 01:29 AM
YoungReezy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rezno
I saw this post a while back and it is really cool to see that someone could actually tune this engine to crazy proportions. Shame it is really expensive and complicated, but cool to know it can be done I guess. If you really want crazy power out of the 2GR FSE motor and you have an extra ~6k to spend on parts and labor you could always supercharge it, but it is probably best to put that extra money to a faster car in the future (I'm eyeing either a 340i, RS3, or Q50 Red Sport for now).
yeah when i move off this platform, im going v8. No ISF for me. Im trying to stay as long as i can and make things interesting before i throw in the towel on the 2grfse.

Originally Posted by Mrfix
I can't even imagine how many Gt86's Toyota would have sold if they had the 2GR-FSE come as an option. Instead they put a *****ty Scoobydoo engine it. Same with the Supra and the BMW engine garbage, should come with a new and improved 2JZ.

I guess with electric around the corner it's all moot.
I agree 100% about the supra comment. New and improved version of 2jz is what everyone would want and sell like hot akes
Old 08-04-17, 12:17 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I think the 2gr-fse could hit 500hp with less work. If we had an option for forged pistons with a lower compression ratio and enough fuel we might be able to hit it with a rotrex c38-91. I personally wish we had the hood clearance for a twin screw style blower. We would have a cheap option for going fast if we could get a lower manifold to fit the 03/04 cobra m112 superchargers under the hood.
Old 08-08-17, 01:59 PM
YoungReezy
Rookie

So i guess my first step will be to find a company that will make me a one off high pressure fuel pump and then i'll go from there.
Old 05-28-19, 07:02 PM
Killtires
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350

I’m honestly thinking about supercharging mine just seems like an awesome choice hear a whine and that exhaust just gets my blood pumping

Quick Reply: 4L stroked turbo 2GR-FSE ?? 500hp