ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013-163/)
-   -   Which one would you buy? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-2nd-gen-2006-2013/862966-which-one-would-you-buy.html)

Tyler1004 07-22-17 03:09 AM

Which one would you buy?

Hi, CL ! I was just wondering which one would you pick over the other?
1. 06 Lexus is350 140k miles fully loaded, clean title and no issues.
2. 06 Lexus is250 110k miles fully loaded, clean title and no issues. (CSP has not been addresed.)
Let say they both are in exact same conditions, colour, and have been well maintained.
Thank you to all of you who will take time out to give me the advice!

bbaugher47 07-22-17 03:18 AM

IS350 more power , less issues, ( typically) are they close in price? Try to pull the service records from lexus too.

Tyler1004 07-22-17 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bbaugher47 (Post 9932150)
IS350 more power , less issues, ( typically) are they close in price? Try to pull the service records from lexus too.

Yes, they are in close price and i managed to get the service history report from MyLexus website;All recalls had been fixed !

Jadorevoya 07-22-17 04:45 AM

Something to keep in mind about the '06 model... As I did extensive research... ( i'm a reporter- so research is my thing lol) Purchasing from an owner? Ask the owner if they have to add oil to the car between oil changes. A common "issue" I have heard/seen from both owners and threads is the '06 year model seems to burn, in my opinion, a substantial amount of oil. The response from lexus was that is was not a problem lexus felt the need to address, but you should check the oil use about every 1500 miles to top off. The average was about a quart of oil. A quick google search for "2006 Lexus IS 250 excess oil burn consumption" should suffice the query.

I was actually looking to buy an '06 IS 250 as a second car, 100k-140k mile range, and this was the common theme. I ended up buying a 2012 IS 250 yesterday. There are some great deals out there you just need to look around, and depending on how far you want to go to find the deal, you can find great clean models in the NJ/ surrounding area.

As far as service records/history: I'm a firm believer in servicing at the dealership. I owned three Mercedes (back to back over the course of 10 years) and I always serviced at the dealership- never had a problem (175k+ miles). Personally, a little extra money for a job done right is worth it in the long-run. Plus, the dealership can do updates to the computer module that a regular mechanic cannot. If lexus isn't an option, I believe Toyota can service and order the pricey items for a cheaper rate. Also, lexus has service coupons to watch for- huge plus! Another suggestion, lexus will do a pre-delivery check on the car for a reasonable price, which is definitely worth it down the road, and may prevent you from buying a car that could be prone to mechanical mishaps.

Make yourself a list. Look at service records and calculate what has been done versus what will need to be done in the future. Comparing the numbers of what your cost might be can help you determine which car will work for you. I always calculate the next few services and include the next big service.
A few other questions:
When will tires need to be replaced?
Brakes front and rear- date and mileage of last change and when will they need to be done?
How are the belts? When was the timing belt/chain + water pump replaced? If not, take that into consideration since it could range anywhere from $700- 1200+.

By figuring in these numbers, you will be able to see which one is a better value.

Hope my info helps! If I had to pick a car, I would go with the lower miles and dump before you hit 200k, and find one that was owned by an older person. hahahaha j/k However, meticulous service records always trumps the one that is lacking in service, but since they are both about equal I would use my projected service cost to figure plus the pre-delivery check to determine which one to buy.

Good luck in your search!

ldc 07-22-17 05:37 AM

For me it would be 350 but if you are not getting 19s or 20s wheels or don't carry passengers around athe 250 is enough.

Aspect 07-22-17 07:36 AM

If similar in price then IS350 for sure. Faster, more reliable because it is port injected and direct injected, similar in gas mileage, holds their value better. If you need AWD then IS250 since the IS350 didn't come with AWD until 2010.

XSV 07-22-17 09:15 AM

tree fiddy

tom_s 07-22-17 11:45 AM

Without doubt, the IS350

I would recommend the IS350. The engine is more satisfying and the fact that you've got direct AND port fuel injectors helps eliminate valve deposit issues. Enjoy!

Tyler1004 07-23-17 12:25 AM

Thank you for all your help and advice guys !
I pretty much came across the Lexus IS350.
Here is my last question, does 30k mileage difference wouldn't make much difference?
Again, thank you in advance for your input :)

ldc 07-23-17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by primavera (Post 9932246)
How can anyone drive IS on 20's? Must be some masochist, lol

Quite alot but not for a long time i wouldn't think. I would if they are super light eg HREs.

bbaugher47 07-23-17 05:22 AM

How much is the 350? If you don't mind me asking

metaleckz 07-23-17 01:14 PM

Is350 lol..

808newbie 07-24-17 11:43 PM

agree with the other members go with the is350 for the fact that is direct and port injection. and if the csp hasnt been addressed for theis250 it will eventually be prone to misfiring in one or multiple cylinders

808newbie 07-24-17 11:44 PM

oh and both are in similar condition.you might just want to verify that the dash panels have been changed out and they are not sticky

mandyfig 07-25-17 09:18 AM

IS350. You have that growl that does not exist with the 250 (not that I have driven a 250).