IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Engine mounts? Look at the video please

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-17, 01:17 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did that today, and even though I could hear/feel it doing that, the service manager said he didn't hear it at all. It is very faint in sound, but still. I give up at this point.
Old 10-12-17, 05:24 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Take it to an independent mechanic and see if they can duplicate your problem. If they can, then you know it's just the dealership trying to minimize warranty claims!
Old 02-13-18, 05:47 PM
Fbtiger01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video of the clicking

So I found out that the sound comes when the car is coming to a stop with/without hitting the brakes. It occurs around 17-19mph. Like I mentioned, i did hit a curb when my car slide around a roundabout. It did hit the rear right tire first, then bounced off and hit the front right tire. No damage appeared because it has been aligned and everything else is fine. So I'm not sure if it is a engine mount thing. From what I remember the click does not happen when in N.

The sound of the click is very low, there are two clips in the video, and watch for the speed and rpm jump when downshifting the click is happening.

in the second clip, you hear like a rock hitting the underbody of the car, the click i'm talking about happens right after. You have to play the video loud to barely hear it.

Old 02-14-18, 05:53 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

People engines in cars move. If they didnt isolate them and dampen them you'd feel every vibration made.

Open the hood of every car and look while power braking. They all move. Some more than others but this one in the video is normal.

And the mounts are likely NOT the cause of harsh erratic transmission behavior. Drop the pan on the trans and inspect the fluid. These things are pretty smooth considering the gear ratios in the trans and diff.

Take a look at yhe rear diff too. It also moves. Its mounted in rubber.

Just saying if you want to throw money away and mask the real problem, throw some new mounts in there. Otherwise keep looking. The trans is suspect.
Old 02-14-18, 08:53 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
People engines in cars move. If they didnt isolate them and dampen them you'd feel every vibration made.

Open the hood of every car and look while power braking. They all move. Some more than others but this one in the video is normal.

And the mounts are likely NOT the cause of harsh erratic transmission behavior. Drop the pan on the trans and inspect the fluid. These things are pretty smooth considering the gear ratios in the trans and diff.

Take a look at yhe rear diff too. It also moves. Its mounted in rubber.

Just saying if you want to throw money away and mask the real problem, throw some new mounts in there. Otherwise keep looking. The trans is suspect.
While I agree that all engines move in production cars, and that is shifting problems are likely transmission-based and not a cause of the engine mounts, it seemed like his engine was moving more than I recall other GR engines moving in the IS. That said, it's been a while, so I may be off base here.

Either way I agree, have someone diagnose the transmission problems.

Jeff
Old 02-14-18, 07:24 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbtiger01
Hey I was wondering if you think the car needs engine mounts? Espically the front ones, because sometimes i get a clunk and jerk when the car shifts from 4th to 3rd when coming to a stop. Also sometimes it does a pretty aggressive jerk when it down shifts from 4th to 2nd.

https://youtu.be/_8J7BYBF8wE
I've done Engine Trans mount for my V6 Toyota Solara before, i replaced all Mounts like Dog Bone on the top, front bottom main engine mount, rear engine mount and transmission mount, i think all V6 Toyota/lexus using the same mounts here symptoms when engine mount goes bad.
1, your steering wheel vibration in idle
2, you experience thud noise over pothole and bumps
3, your flex pipe damage due to the rear mount worn bad because when you shift the engine lean back back and hits the pipe, This caused it in my Toyota Solara, don't know about lexus IS
4, When you shift the Engine moves like in this video, once main front bottom engine mount worn bad it causes other mounts to go along
You need the car on hoist to do a visual check, if mounts cracks and you feel something not right , yes they are worn, some cheap aftermarket engine mounts will fix your issue but they'll give you engine Rumble noise in gear D at stop, best way is to use OEM mounts but expensive, and Engine mount worn makes a loud clunk noise over pothole or bump, i also Done Engine mounts for my old 2005 Acura TL, i used aftermarket mounts though, for Acura TL the rumble noise isn't bad but for Toyota OMG freaked me out but got used to it.

Video shows your engine mount is bad but don't guess, you need to physically check with your Mechanic, these mounts are not cheap especially for Toyota/Lexus, Gen2 IS is about time for Engine Mounts to go, Toyota Engine mounts lasts about 10+ years