IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Custom Dash Kit and Help Understanding OEM Wood Panels

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 10:27 AM
Devmode
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Dash Kit and Help Understanding OEM Wood Panels

Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot.
I just got a 2010 IS250 4dr A/T and she's a nice white beauty with a cushy black interior. Now I'm a very particular guy down to the bone when it comes to aesthetics, and I really don't like the greenish wood panels which the original owner desired in that model's construction. To compliment the exterior which is white with black accents, I decided I would buy a custom dash kit (through carid.com) to obtain those very panels in white so I would have a black and white interior for sharp contrast a and sporty look.
While going through the customization options where I choose the trim and colors, I saw a little note by Add to Cart which said:
"Fitment Notes: Will fit Models w/o OEM Wood."
I had originally assumed the cuts between the wood and plastic trims would virtually be the same, or that they're fitted into the interior by the same means (same clamps, hooks, holes, whatever)

So, the million dollar question is: Are the wood and plastic variations of the interior trim absolutely physically identical and can be interchangeable, or are they made to fit in a different fashion? Or rather I should ask, should I order it anyways?

Attached: Webpage where it mentions not fitting models, sample picture w/ plastic trim, sample picture with wood trim
Attached Thumbnails Custom Dash Kit and Help Understanding OEM Wood Panels-capture.jpg   Custom Dash Kit and Help Understanding OEM Wood Panels-2011-lexus-is-250-f-sport-interior.jpg   Custom Dash Kit and Help Understanding OEM Wood Panels-lead12-lexus-is250-awd.jpg  
Old 06-27-17, 11:30 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I doubt the interior trims are different (considering you could swap out the IS-F trim into the ISX50s and vice versa), but I feel like it would just be much much cheaper if you took the trim pieces out of your car and wrapped it in white if that is the look you're going for. The GPS unit would be much more difficult, but I don't think it would be impossible. Just based on a friend's experience, these kits aren't really the most durable over time.
Old 06-27-17, 03:03 PM
knyg
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Like above mentioned.

Best to take out your trims and wrap it or spray it. It's not difficult to take out, as you said, just a few clips and patience with prying. You don't even have to take out all the trim to wrap, but it is best to so you can wrap around and not have the wrap peel out.

OEM is a lot better than carid or any aftermarket pieces.
Old 06-27-17, 03:30 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The panels themselves are interchangeable, however there are some variations in how they are built between plastic/wood/carbon. The kit you are purchasing is a stick-on kit that goes over top of the original pieces, and as such, won't fit correctly on the door pieces of cars that came with wood or carbon, only the plastic models.

It needs to stick on top of this:

It will likely not fit on top of this type (there is a separate plastic section where the window and mirror switches sit, it is raised):

Jeff
Old 03-14-20, 07:29 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Are all interior trims pieces interchangeable between all years of the 2IS? If yes, would there be any problems ? i want to switch the ugly wood trim on my 06 and i found someone is selling their f sport trim its a 2012 f sport. i see the buttons are a bit different so i dont know if thatll cause a problem.

Last edited by davidbusta; 03-14-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 07:40 PM
davidbusta
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

I just saw that the dial for the cooled seats isnt there since its a f sport and i guess the f sport didnt have the cooled seat option. but is it possible to switch the dials and put the one that I have on my car right now onto this one and have it work properly?