IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My IS350 started on fire

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 02:38 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default My IS350 started on fire

This past week has been really stupid hot here in NM, Wednesday was the hottest day thus far at 106 and that evening my Lexus decided to show an attitude. This isnt a rant. Honestly, this vehicle has been great and hasnt stranded yet nor caused any issues. I digress.

I was pulling away from my house going down the road and all at once the battery light turns on just as everything flickers and dims. I stop and immediately say to my girlfriend (who is in the passengers seat)...my alternator just went out, big whoop im not going anywhere...I'll take another vehicle, so I parked it in the front yard. Just as Im parking it we both smell a very strong scent. Its not a good smell, it was something burning. I check my temp gauge and its right where it needs to be...oh well, the alternator probably just failed hard and fried itself. I get out and walk in front of the vehicle and there is a steady flow of smoke pouring out from under the hood. (it was late at night so I didnt see it smoking i just smelled it) I pop the hood and open it. Im staring at my engine bay and my GF notices before me that there is a small fire, directly on the alternator connectors.

Well crap...I run and grab the hose we had in our front yard. When I get back the fire has spread a little bit to the engine, not very big but it still was trying. I douse it with the hose. I then quickly disconnected the battery terminal then soaked that sonofabiscuit till it was cool.

This could have been a disaster, thank God I was at home where a hose was or my car would have been a charcoal black body of a car.

I have yet to see an instance with Lexus at least where the alternator started on fire.

Anyways, it turns out its less than a thousand worth of damage which was surprising given the nature of the accident.Praise God it wasnt any worse and the location was my house and not the side of a highway!!

The alternator sent a surge as a failed and fried the battery cells in the process, so new alternator, new battery, new belt (fire burned it) along with other minor burned parts and connectors.

Thought I'd share my story with you as I have never seen anywhere of a Lexus, much less and IS350 start on fire frtom natural causes.

Fortunately, it survived the possible disaster, and still has many more miles to be driven.
Old 06-23-17, 08:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

When mine went, it fried and smoked too...but didn't catch fire. Good to see it wasn't any worse than it was.
Old 06-24-17, 02:36 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

This is why I'd carry a small ABC extinguisher in any car that you really like. Thank god you noticed it, though!
Old 06-25-17, 10:29 AM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I read a lot about the alternator smoking out, but never on fire. Getting a fire extinguisher is not a bad idea. I have a flint fire starter in my car (used to those nature survival shows a lot) so I might as well have a fire extinguisher. But does anyone of them store well in a car and not heavy? In AZ the interior can get to 160F.
Old 06-26-17, 05:07 AM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Lets see...things that can cause a fire on ANY vehicle no matter what make:
1) Seized alternator
2) Seized water pump
3) Seized pulley
4) Loose battery connectors (terminals)
5) Improper fuses
6) Poorly wired aftermarket stereos & amps.
The list can go on........

Not a Lexus thing...

I am glad to hear everyone is ok, I had a high voltage alternator seized and catch fire on my Celica Alltrac and the inside of the car smelled like burned wires for over a month.