Hi, Oil/Maintenance question, please help! Thank you ^_^

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 12:21 PM
NancyJade
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hi, Oil/Maintenance question, please help! Thank you ^_^

Hello!

I have a 2007 IS250 (my poor baby that has been horribly neglected) and it's up for an oil change as well as the 90000 full service/maintenance.

The Lexus Dealership quoted me ~$630 for the full service (includes oil change). I didn't catch everything the rep said on the phone due to bad signal, but it includes other things like new windshield wipers, battery for my key remote, etc. on top of the full inspection of my car. This is for conventional oil - the rep didn't have the price for me to upgrade to full synthetic.

Do you think it is worth it or should look elsewhere?
Ex: Midas quoted me ~$60-80 for a full synthetic oil+filter change, tire rotation & 45 point inspection (I'm a noob and not sure how thorough is a 45 point inspection)

I appreciate any advice you can send my way, thank you!! <3
Old 06-07-17, 12:42 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I did my last oil change at a Toyota dealership and they charged $70 for a full synthetic oil and filter change. You'll probably get a better deal if you look elsewhere. I'm honestly surprised a Lexus dealership doesn't use synthetic oil though...

I figure some things in that service you're probably either not going to need or you can do yourself. The key battery and the wiper blades you could probably easily DIY and save some money.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...te-module.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post4284124

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
NancyJade (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 12:54 PM
NancyJade
Driver

Originally Posted by Rezno
I did my last oil change at a Toyota dealership and they charged $70 for a full synthetic oil and filter change. You'll probably get a better deal if you look elsewhere. I'm honestly surprised a Lexus dealership doesn't use synthetic oil though...

I figure some things in that service you're probably either not going to need or you can do yourself. The key battery and the wiper blades you could probably easily DIY and save some money.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...te-module.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post4284124

Good luck!
Thanks! That's true, I would have opted out of the wipers anyways because I just bought new one and what not.
What about the Full Service/Maintenance? Do you have any recommendations for me in regards to that? Because I'm a little worried about how my car is doing overall. Thank you again!
Old 06-07-17, 12:58 PM
daageep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it would be helpful if you post exactly what they said they would do for you. i think oil change is every 5K, brake fluid 30K, and engine/cabin air filters check every 15K. maybe your 90K includes all of the above plus some inspections. that's hefty even if it is for everything.
NancyJade (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 01:04 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NancyJade
Thanks! That's true, I would have opted out of the wipers anyways because I just bought new one and what not.
What about the Full Service/Maintenance? Do you have any recommendations for me in regards to that? Because I'm a little worried about how my car is doing overall. Thank you again!
No worries! As for the full service, this one seems a bit more important so there probably isn't too much you can avoid other than the inspections. Chances are, if it doesn't feel like anything is wrong, there isn't. I'm not sure if your dealer will charge you more for the inspections. My dealer does and I learned to just not ask for it unless I really feel like something is wrong or if a CEL comes up. The second bit of advice I can give is instead of requesting the service at 90,000 miles, just say that you want to replace the things it specifies. So if I have the right maintenance guide open, you should be asking for only the following:
1) An AC filter change
2) Brake fluid change
3) Oil and filter (which you should probably do elsewhere)
4) Tire rotation.

If you say 90,000 mile service, they will overcharge for inspections. Also it doesn't say it but you should probably get a coolant flush before 100K just to stay safe.
NancyJade (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 01:13 PM
NancyJade
Driver

No worries! As for the full service, this one seems a bit more important so there probably isn't too much you can avoid other than the inspections. Chances are, if it doesn't feel like anything is wrong, there isn't. I'm not sure if your dealer will charge you more for the inspections. My dealer does and I learned to just not ask for it unless I really feel like something is wrong or if a CEL comes up. The second bit of advice I can give is instead of requesting the service at 90,000 miles, just say that you want to replace the things it specifies. So if I have the right maintenance guide open, you should be asking for only the following:
1) An AC filter change
2) Brake fluid change
3) Oil and filter (which you should probably do elsewhere)
4) Tire rotation.

If you say 90,000 mile service, they will overcharge for inspections. Also it doesn't say it but you should probably get a coolant flush before 100K just to stay safe.

Thanks! I'm so clueless when it comes to my own car - I've only worked on an older car with my dad for fun, but that was more tinkering with machinery than maintenance.

Yeah, my first reaction was okay, better do the full service for $630 like they recommend, but it seemed really pricey so I was curious if most people opted to it or go with an alternative.

My biggest fear is like there's a problem with my brakes/battery/random leak that leads to my car blowing out on me in the middle of the freeway during traffic hour haha ::fingers crossed this doesn't happen::
Old 06-07-17, 01:16 PM
NancyJade
Driver

Originally Posted by daageep
it would be helpful if you post exactly what they said they would do for you. i think oil change is every 5K, brake fluid 30K, and engine/cabin air filters check every 15K. maybe your 90K includes all of the above plus some inspections. that's hefty even if it is for everything.
It wasn't too clear because the person spoke so fast and the bad signal, but I sent an e-mail asking for more info so I should get that soon!

But for the most part, it sounded like some small/basic stuff like oil change, filter change, windshield wipers, etc. and a comprehensive inspection of my car to see if anything's wrong with it (not replacing any parts and such - just looking it over).
Old 06-07-17, 01:20 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Thanks! I'm so clueless when it comes to my own car - I've only worked on an older car with my dad for fun, but that was more tinkering with machinery than maintenance.

Yeah, my first reaction was okay, better do the full service for $630 like they recommend, but it seemed really pricey so I was curious if most people opted to it or go with an alternative.

My biggest fear is like there's a problem with my brakes/battery/random leak that leads to my car blowing out on me in the middle of the freeway during traffic hour haha ::fingers crossed this doesn't happen::
No worries! Don't worry I was much the same way when I first got my car. Ask for help or advice when you need it! Side note: I've never worked on cars nor have I done my own maintenance.

Almost all dealer services will be costly unless they screw something up themselves, so its best to either DIY, go to a Toyota dealership, or find an independent shop you trust.

Unless you feel like something is wrong, everything will probably be fine. Often times there will be many warning signs before something brakes (intended), so just keep an eye out if something feels unusually weird and then let us know what happened. The people here are very helpful. Lexus (and Toyota) make the world's most reliable cars, so hopefully that eases your fears a bit. And hopefully your engine won't die during rush hour haha
NancyJade (06-07-17)
Old 06-07-17, 02:36 PM
NancyJade
Driver

No worries! Don't worry I was much the same way when I first got my car. Ask for help or advice when you need it! Side note: I've never worked on cars nor have I done my own maintenance.

Almost all dealer services will be costly unless they screw something up themselves, so its best to either DIY, go to a Toyota dealership, or find an independent shop you trust.

Unless you feel like something is wrong, everything will probably be fine. Often times there will be many warning signs before something brakes (intended), so just keep an eye out if something feels unusually weird and then let us know what happened. The people here are very helpful. Lexus (and Toyota) make the world's most reliable cars, so hopefully that eases your fears a bit. And hopefully your engine won't die during rush hour haha

LOL yeah, the last time I had my oil maintenance done, they made it sound like my car was about to fall apart, but it's still running perfectly fine so I didn't think too much about it. Something I did notice recently is that one time I braked really hard due to an absurd driver and I got this feeling like my brakes touched the floor (I know I'm not supposed to be bottoming out my brakes anyways). Was a bit concerning - but hey, I lived!

Every since someone hit my car and the touchscreen stopped working (and buying the new FRS >_>) I've kind of neglected my IS250, so bad....
Old 06-07-17, 03:12 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

LOL yeah, the last time I had my oil maintenance done, they made it sound like my car was about to fall apart, but it's still running perfectly fine so I didn't think too much about it. Something I did notice recently is that one time I braked really hard due to an absurd driver and I got this feeling like my brakes touched the floor (I know I'm not supposed to be bottoming out my brakes anyways). Was a bit concerning - but hey, I lived!

Every since someone hit my car and the touchscreen stopped working (and buying the new FRS >_>) I've kind of neglected my IS250, so bad....
They will do that. I've had a time where the dealer said there was a CEL and it was like $400+ for a sensor or something that was causing it. Also remember them something about it being 'extremely critical'. I got in my car, there was no CEL and it drove just fine. I've put like 800 miles on my car since and everything is good. Often times the dealer will exaggerate to sell you something, so always make sure you drive the car first before you make a final decision.

I have had the brake pedal feel like it was stuck before after I braked really hard before (in a different car though). If its once it shouldn't be too big of a problem. It appears that everything is still functioning properly for you (and you're still alive!)

Did you get that touchscreen fixed or not? And to be fair, the FRS is a fun little car.
Old 06-07-17, 04:16 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

1) An AC filter change DIY, buy OEM part off eBay ($43 shipped)
2) Brake fluid change DIY, buy (6) 32 oz Prestone Dot 3 brake fluid ($6.38/bottle), get some 1/4" clear tubing (<$10) and an empty clear 32 oz bottle (Gatorade/Powerade)
3) Oil and filter (which you should probably do elsewhere) DIY 6-7 quarts of 5W-30 ($22.88 for 5 quarts @ Walmart) full synthetic oil, buy OEM filter off eBay (~$7.00 shipped for one or buy in bulk)
4) Tire rotation. IS 250/350 are staggard, so no rotaton front to back but side to side, which I don't ever do

Learn how to work on your car, save yourself some money
Old 06-07-17, 04:24 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XSV
Learn how to work on your car, save yourself some money
Yes, that will certainly save you a ton of money, but for those of us who perhaps don't want to or don't have the time, there are definitely some things you could do to reduce costs. The tire rotation is probably only for AWD cars, which don't have staggered wheels/tires.
Old 06-07-17, 06:05 PM
NancyJade
Driver

Thanks for the info
Old 06-07-17, 06:31 PM
NancyJade
Driver

They will do that. I've had a time where the dealer said there was a CEL and it was like $400+ for a sensor or something that was causing it. Also remember them something about it being 'extremely critical'. I got in my car, there was no CEL and it drove just fine. I've put like 800 miles on my car since and everything is good. Often times the dealer will exaggerate to sell you something, so always make sure you drive the car first before you make a final decision.

I have had the brake pedal feel like it was stuck before after I braked really hard before (in a different car though). If its once it shouldn't be too big of a problem. It appears that everything is still functioning properly for you (and you're still alive!)

Did you get that touchscreen fixed or not? And to be fair, the FRS is a fun little car.

I haven't gotten the touchscreen fixed yet! Lexus quoted me about $2K to replace it (I was already expecting them not to just fix it, of course they would want to put in a whole new one). That was a little too pricey for me.
I thought about buying a used replacement unit and doing it myself...as you can tell, that has not happened yet haha One of my concerns is how long that used unit will last me
I can't seem to find a good source for a new unit, possibly bc of the year of my car...I think I might have seen one once for like $600/800.
The other option I've seen is that I pull out the unit and send it to someone to fix it, which is about $300. The shops around my area won't fix the touchscreen.

So right now I am debating lol

Actually was just thinking about making another post! So the touchscreen itself seems fine because I can still press the manual buttons and the screen would change. I think it is purely the sensor - I can't press anything! It's been a little inconvenient because I got a new phone and I can't pair it to my car so I have to use speaker on the phone whenever someone calls. I can live without the bluetooth luxury, but I sure miss it!

Yes, that will certainly save you a ton of money, but for those of us who perhaps don't want to or don't have the time, there are definitely some things you could do to reduce costs. The tire rotation is probably only for AWD cars, which don't have staggered wheels/tires.

Right? Just grabbing the stuff alone is going to be $100+ (without the check up) and I prefer to pay someone to do it so that I can go to work or spend my weekends on my charity work lol Although it would be fun to try if I had the free time; knowing me I'm going to end up forgetting a bolt hahaha
Of course, that doesn't mean I will readily spend more money than I need to
Plus I for sure wouldn't be able to give my car a full inspection to see if there's anything wrong with it; I would rather trust a professional to do it, which is the main thing I'm looking for

Oh tire rotation! I've had this done before, my IS250 is RWD, so they move to Front tires to the back. But it's not a big deal, I just bought all new tires.
Old 06-07-17, 09:37 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

I haven't gotten the touchscreen fixed yet! Lexus quoted me about $2K to replace it (I was already expecting them not to just fix it, of course they would want to put in a whole new one). That was a little too pricey for me.
I thought about buying a used replacement unit and doing it myself...as you can tell, that has not happened yet haha One of my concerns is how long that used unit will last me
I can't seem to find a good source for a new unit, possibly bc of the year of my car...I think I might have seen one once for like $600/800.
The other option I've seen is that I pull out the unit and send it to someone to fix it, which is about $300. The shops around my area won't fix the touchscreen.

So right now I am debating lol

Actually was just thinking about making another post! So the touchscreen itself seems fine because I can still press the manual buttons and the screen would change. I think it is purely the sensor - I can't press anything! It's been a little inconvenient because I got a new phone and I can't pair it to my car so I have to use speaker on the phone whenever someone calls. I can live without the bluetooth luxury, but I sure miss it!

Right? Just grabbing the stuff alone is going to be $100+ (without the check up) and I prefer to pay someone to do it so that I can go to work or spend my weekends on my charity work lol Although it would be fun to try if I had the free time; knowing me I'm going to end up forgetting a bolt hahaha
Of course, that doesn't mean I will readily spend more money than I need to
Plus I for sure wouldn't be able to give my car a full inspection to see if there's anything wrong with it; I would rather trust a professional to do it, which is the main thing I'm looking for

Oh tire rotation! I've had this done before, my IS250 is RWD, so they move to Front tires to the back. But it's not a big deal, I just bought all new tires.
To each their own. I don't trust shops to do my oil change. The dealership charges about $100 for an oil change. Don't trust everything the dealership tells you what you "need." Remember, they are there to make money, not save you money. As for the tire rotation, you can not rotate the front with the rear tires because they wheels are staggered. You can only rotate side to side.

Quick Reply: Hi, Oil/Maintenance question, please help! Thank you ^_^