IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Hi, Oil/Maintenance question, please help! Thank you ^_^

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-17, 11:47 PM
NancyJade
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
To each their own. I don't trust shops to do my oil change. The dealership charges about $100 for an oil change. Don't trust everything the dealership tells you what you "need." Remember, they are there to make money, not save you money. As for the tire rotation, you can not rotate the front with the rear tires because they wheels are staggered. You can only rotate side to side.
Hm $100 is pricey for an oil change. I usually pay $70-80 and enjoy being at the dealership bc they have Nothing Bundt Cakes lol
I never said I trust them but I do see that they are more qualified than me and don't mind their input - always thankful for advice from them and here!
Whoops, I was thinking about tire rotations for another car. As you mentioned, my car has different sized wheels - they're non-directional so can be swapped side to side although most RWD IS actually have directional which means it's loads of work to do anything. For my IS250, I had opted for new wheels rather than rotate, but when the time comes, I am def rotating these (I opted for the top tier tires even though I knew I could have gotten cheaper ones, but I personally felt like it was worth it lol)

Last edited by NancyJade; 06-07-17 at 11:51 PM. Reason: correct a mistake
Old 06-08-17, 02:41 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NancyJade

I haven't gotten the touchscreen fixed yet! Lexus quoted me about $2K to replace it (I was already expecting them not to just fix it, of course they would want to put in a whole new one). That was a little too pricey for me.
I thought about buying a used replacement unit and doing it myself...as you can tell, that has not happened yet haha One of my concerns is how long that used unit will last me
I can't seem to find a good source for a new unit, possibly bc of the year of my car...I think I might have seen one once for like $600/800.
The other option I've seen is that I pull out the unit and send it to someone to fix it, which is about $300. The shops around my area won't fix the touchscreen.

So right now I am debating lol

Actually was just thinking about making another post! So the touchscreen itself seems fine because I can still press the manual buttons and the screen would change. I think it is purely the sensor - I can't press anything! It's been a little inconvenient because I got a new phone and I can't pair it to my car so I have to use speaker on the phone whenever someone calls. I can live without the bluetooth luxury, but I sure miss it!

Right? Just grabbing the stuff alone is going to be $100+ (without the check up) and I prefer to pay someone to do it so that I can go to work or spend my weekends on my charity work lol Although it would be fun to try if I had the free time; knowing me I'm going to end up forgetting a bolt hahaha
Of course, that doesn't mean I will readily spend more money than I need to
Plus I for sure wouldn't be able to give my car a full inspection to see if there's anything wrong with it; I would rather trust a professional to do it, which is the main thing I'm looking for

Oh tire rotation! I've had this done before, my IS250 is RWD, so they move to Front tires to the back. But it's not a big deal, I just bought all new tires.
Yeah $2k is very steep. I've read posts here when I was thinking about what I would do when my screen will probably die and it seems that no one has had to replace their screen twice. And really it is hit or miss whenever they break. Some die early, others late. I've seen people selling the entire center module for ~$700, which is still a lot and would probably involve you doing a lot of the labor. If you could actually get it fixed for $300 that is probably your best bet.

The touch sensors on that screen are notorious for going out, so yes that is probably what happened to yours. If I recall correctly its because the wires that connect to the screen are really cheap and just degrade over time. You could probably live without it, but me as someone who wants all the features to work, I'd probably go insane or spend a stupidly large amount of money to get it fixed. Should you decide to fix the screen yourself, this page might help as I have saved it in case my screen dies ($2k is just WAY too much money to spend honestly) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus/comme...been_dead_for/

Yep. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I would absolutely love to do my own maintenance but I'm way too busy to actually do it. I have sway bars and tail lights I bought back in March and still haven't found the time to put them on because of college and work and life (and I'd probably forget a bolt as well lol). Plus, I have absolutely no experience with any of this and I probably won't forgive myself if I break something (which knowing me, I will). I know that mechanics don't take any care of your car and won't treat it the same way you do, but at least they somewhat know what they are doing. And like you said, if you have to use the dealer, try and find any ways to save money.

Yeah tire rotations are not needed on RWD cars, so ignore that part. I thought you had an AWD for whatever reason. My mistake.
Old 06-08-17, 04:22 PM
NancyJade
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Yeah $2k is very steep. I've read posts here when I was thinking about what I would do when my screen will probably die and it seems that no one has had to replace their screen twice. And really it is hit or miss whenever they break. Some die early, others late. I've seen people selling the entire center module for ~$700, which is still a lot and would probably involve you doing a lot of the labor. If you could actually get it fixed for $300 that is probably your best bet.

The touch sensors on that screen are notorious for going out, so yes that is probably what happened to yours. If I recall correctly its because the wires that connect to the screen are really cheap and just degrade over time. You could probably live without it, but me as someone who wants all the features to work, I'd probably go insane or spend a stupidly large amount of money to get it fixed. Should you decide to fix the screen yourself, this page might help as I have saved it in case my screen dies ($2k is just WAY too much money to spend honestly) :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lexus/comme...been_dead_for/

Yep. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I would absolutely love to do my own maintenance but I'm way too busy to actually do it. I have sway bars and tail lights I bought back in March and still haven't found the time to put them on because of college and work and life (and I'd probably forget a bolt as well lol). Plus, I have absolutely no experience with any of this and I probably won't forgive myself if I break something (which knowing me, I will). I know that mechanics don't take any care of your car and won't treat it the same way you do, but at least they somewhat know what they are doing. And like you said, if you have to use the dealer, try and find any ways to save money.

Yeah tire rotations are not needed on RWD cars, so ignore that part. I thought you had an AWD for whatever reason. My mistake.
Thanks!

OMG you cannot believe how much I hate not having my touchscreen - and my car's older so the Touchscreen/GPS doesn't even do that much haha
The time just kind of got away from me - at first I was pretty determined to get it fixed ASAP (I went to away for a few days when it was really hot in CA, came back and it had stopped working - probably melted the connector >_<)
For $300, they want me to pull the unit out myself, send it to them to fix (most likely replacing that sensor). Then they send it back to me and I have to re-install the unit myself. I was thinking if the only problem is the sensor, maybe I can buy only that part and do it myself? I've replaced sensors on screens like phones and tablets before (not that they're the same things lol). Worst comes to worst, I have to get a new unit anyways.
I watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people taking out the unit and it seems pretty easy.

Decisions Decisions...

If you don't hear from anymore, it's bc I snapped an incorrect wire and blew up my car (Michael Bay moment lol)
Old 06-09-17, 10:57 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NancyJade
Thanks!

OMG you cannot believe how much I hate not having my touchscreen - and my car's older so the Touchscreen/GPS doesn't even do that much haha
The time just kind of got away from me - at first I was pretty determined to get it fixed ASAP (I went to away for a few days when it was really hot in CA, came back and it had stopped working - probably melted the connector >_<)
For $300, they want me to pull the unit out myself, send it to them to fix (most likely replacing that sensor). Then they send it back to me and I have to re-install the unit myself. I was thinking if the only problem is the sensor, maybe I can buy only that part and do it myself? I've replaced sensors on screens like phones and tablets before (not that they're the same things lol). Worst comes to worst, I have to get a new unit anyways.
I watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people taking out the unit and it seems pretty easy.

Decisions Decisions...

If you don't hear from anymore, it's bc I snapped an incorrect wire and blew up my car (Michael Bay moment lol)
No worries!

I just hate how the touchscreen controls so many things in the car and can fall apart that easily. I would probably survive but the perfectionist in me would get it fixed immediately. I also noticed that the unit is quite sensitive to heat. I picked up my car from the dealership and the CD player, radio, and aux inputs all weren't working. Even the power and volume weren't working. I parked it inside overnight, and the next day, everything worked fine. Your story is much worse than mine but yeah, the touch sensor thing probably broke then.

For $300 that isn't too bad. Getting the unit out could be quite an adventure though. There are a lot of possibilities. Best of luck! And try not to snap an incorrect wire lol
Old 06-09-17, 11:21 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Don't ask for the 90,000 mile service. Get what you need and ask for prices on those.

I generally let the dealership do the stuff involving oil because I don't like the mess. Anyway, for 90,000 miles, you need these:
1. AC filter change (you can DIY easily; read the manual about putting the car in re-circulate air mode)
2. Engine filter (you can DIY easily)
3. Oil change (dealer can do it for about $60, might be cheaper at Toyota dealership)
4. Brake fluid change (dealer can do it for $150 or less, might be cheaper at Toyota)
5. Inspections (these are generally all free at least in the dealership I go to because when they found something needing to be replaced, they want to fix it for you).

And for the wipers, I hope you didn't get a cheap after market that includes the whole blade and throw the OEM away. You only need to get OEM rubber inserts that wears out and replace the rubber only.
Old 06-11-17, 10:42 AM
heliskiier
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XSV
Learn how to work on your car, save yourself some money
Yes! $630 to do that stuff is extreme in the extreme. Actually, the brake fluid isn't the thing you need to worry about with the brakes, but if this is a new used ride for you find a good independant to do the job. It's easy and quick. The rest of the stuff is easy bolt on stuff and you're getting hosed for it by a dealer. I do all this stuff myself. None of it takes more than a half-hour and a minor bucks each job. Having an indy mechanic do it, they can easily knock all this stuff out in less than an hour. Brake pads are the thing you really need to have checked. Don't let the dealer charge you $200 a corner for something that literally takes 10 minutes a corner and pads that can be bought for $80 for all corners and don't let them tell you they can't do the pads without doing the fluid. Pads alone if the fluid isn't bubbled or toasted work fine. They'll hose you on brakes worse than anything else you can ask them to do. Rotating the silly tires is pretty much a waste because the fronts and rears are different sizes...

And, you can buy the entire Nav/Radio unit for way less than $2k. Probably half that at the worst and a half hour in a good car audio shop to hook it up.
Old 08-01-18, 06:32 PM
Lexusloud
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi NancyJade. Did you go to all the same rim size so that you could rotate the tires? I am seriously considering this.