Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Raybestos Brakes - IS350

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 06:30 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Raybestos Brakes - IS350

Hey all,

I've been having a few issues with my brakes for a while. I drive my 350 rather aggressively on the beautiful BC roads. We have some of the most incredible driving roads on the continent, twisting/winding along the coast, narrow mountain passes, and home to the highest speed limits in Canada at 120km/h. Needless to say, the temptation usually results in heavy acceleration and braking.

I'm at the point now where my front rotors are oscillating so hard my entire car shakes as I come to a stop. Brake pads are finished, the dust has been unruly on my gloss black wheels and it's time for a new set.

My last brake job here was a disaster on my last car, so one of my boys put me in touch with his trusted brake guy. After a consult he suggested I go with the Raybestos Element 3 EHT pads with their Advanced Technology rotors to match. I did some research, surprised to find what appears to be such a good pad with so little community feedback. Threads do exist, most often comparing with the Akebonos though and not really hearing from anyone with the raybestos product on their IS.

I'm starting this thread to seek the opinion of those who do have experience with Raybestos products, more specifically their top-line offerings as listed above. For the price I figure why not. They're going on tomorrow morning. Once I get some time with them I'll update this thread with some more info and what I think of them so the next person doesnt have as much trouble tracking down useable info on these specific products.

Lemme know what you think, and I'll return the favour shortly
Old 05-04-17, 12:27 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Though I've got no experience using their product, I've heard good things about their track pads. Not sure if the one mentioned above is that or a daily-friendly alternative. Wish you luck on your search!

BTW, I love my Akebono ceramics.
Old 05-04-17, 12:48 PM
Grizsk
Driver

The Raybestos EHT pads appear to be a hybrid material, using a semi-metallic and ceramic combination. I've heard nothing but good things, very excited to get the car back and do some reviewing for others who may be seeking vehicle specific performance info on these particular pads.
Old 05-04-17, 12:50 PM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I too like my Akebono pads
Old 05-04-17, 01:44 PM
Grizsk
Driver

See, every thread I picked through while researching these brakes is just overwhelmed by people running Akebonos! So much so, that in one Raybestos specific thread of 8 pages on a different forum I only found 3 mentions of Raybestos.. I'm ready to put this to rest, throw some miles on these pads and rotors and definitively state for the masses whether they perform as well as people hear they do.
Old 05-04-17, 07:17 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Quick update, although I haven't had sufficient time with these new parts to offer any info yet, I went with the Raybestos EHT pads all around and Beck/Arnley coated rotors. The rotors I chose were more expensive than the Raybestos, but offered more in the way of performance under pressure according to my guy.

I followed the Raybestos bed-in procedure for 'Severe Duty' vehicles which encompasses things like police applications and track use, then drove home in traffic.

My front pads were OK, but these rears were just a disaster!

Last edited by Grizsk; 05-04-17 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 01:44 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would love to know the options. i need to replace my brake soon too
Old 05-05-17, 07:04 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Wow those are supposed to be brand new pads?
Old 05-05-17, 10:35 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Originally Posted by Aspect
Wow those are supposed to be brand new pads?
No those were the ones that were replaced!
Old 05-05-17, 11:46 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are those marks on the pad from you prying the pads apart? Both the rear calipers on my 09 250 were seized and needed to be replaced. Check the rubber boot and the slider pins just to be safe. The braking in my car improved vastly with the new calipers.
Old 05-05-17, 12:11 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Originally Posted by Skier76
Are those marks on the pad from you prying the pads apart? Both the rear calipers on my 09 250 were seized and needed to be replaced. Check the rubber boot and the slider pins just to be safe. The braking in my car improved vastly with the new calipers.
Yea they had to work the rears apart, they weren't fully siezed and he was able to restore the caliper function to its former glory. Pad only has about 4% on it though haha
The following users liked this post:
Skier76 (05-06-17)
Old 08-15-17, 04:27 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Default Update

Under 5000 miles since my brake job so far, just started experiencing intermittent squealing when applying moderate brake pressure. I can hear the pad shifting ever so slightly when braking forward to reverse and back. Not overly impressed with the above points, but the bite and stopping power is definitely more than agreeable.

Raybestos EHT Pads - 6/10

On the other hand, I drive my car like it was born on the track. I'm probably the only person around who would benefit from a BBK
Old 08-15-17, 02:55 PM
PandaBear
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with a few brands and models are that Akebono are exactly identical to OEM ceramic most of the time, not the best bite or heat tolerance but definitely low noise and low dust. Raybesto are typically good aftermarket brands and I usually have no problem with them. For daily driving between the two I'd pick Akebono, for track I'd pick something more powerful and change it right after I got off the track.

I've seen rear pads worn to nothing like that before, that happened when I had much stronger rear pads than the front and worn out faster than the front.
Old 02-21-18, 03:19 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Any more updates on the brakes? I just ordered a set from RockAuto. I have the Akebonos now, and they are great. It's time to replace my rears for now. So I decided to try the Raybestos full set F/R.
Old 03-04-18, 05:05 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I installed these pads on Saturday morning. The initial bite is great over my Akebonos. So far I've put about 60 miles on them, and I'm very happy with the results. As for break dust I'm not sure yet need to break them in.

The last time I did my Akebonos pads. I used Syl-glide synthetic brake lube. After 2 years all parts were still moving freely. Even the rear calipers were easy to remove. I would definitely recommend this brake grease for those sticking rear calipers.

Update: 3/28/18

The brake dust is to a minimum on these. I think they actually produce a little less than the Akebono. The bite is awesome too over the Akebono.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 03-28-18 at 03:14 PM.