IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is250 06 170K P0761 Shift C Stuck Off SLU and TCC changed

Old 04-13-17, 10:50 AM
jehmin
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Is250 06 170K P0761 Shift C Stuck Off SLU and TCC changed

I know there is a ton of stuff out there but decided to start a new thread because its slightly different from the other treads as iv actually changed the solenoids most people try to change.
Initially started with codes.
P2757 Torque Converter Clutch Pressure Control
P0761 Shift Solenoid 'C' Performance or Stuck Off
P0981 Shift Solenoid 'D' Control Circuit Range/Performance
SL1 Which I believe is the TCC has been replaced with new oem part SLU Changed with OEM Part.
After changeing TCC and SLU the resulting codes are: ( and still stuck in 3rd gear most of the time)
Gear shifting when it does shift seems smoother

Code P0761 Solenoid C stuck off. Wont shift past 3rd and RPM is high
Also a P0914 ( intermittent)
P02417 Pressure control D stuck off?

This used to happen with a torque converter problem but now that code went away.
Transmission fluid was Black as Oil. Changed Filter, and drained and filled 2 Quarts at a time about 4 times. Now the color is a light brown/red. The brown red although not complete red is a world better than where it was at!
Iv already used 14 quarts of WS Fluid.
Battery disconnected for a night to reset ecu?

The car shifts smoother works well for about 5 to 10 miles and reverts back.

The S3 which I think is Solenoid C controls 3 to 4 shifting. Makes an Audible sound when i do an Active test with Techstream. It looked good and the resistance was at 13.5Ohms tested with Fluke 87V ( literature operational range is 11 to 15 ohms)
I also took some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed into each female cable while i checked each resistance of the each 9 solenoids. Yes i tested all ( but i think the resistance test is not a very good indicator as all seem to be within correct ohm readings)
How does one test solenoid 3 to see if its good besides the resistance? Its also a 1 pin design

Any Ideas here before I change out this solenoid which probably was ok to begin with?
I could try to change out S1 with S3 they are the same part and if my shifting from 1 to 2 is bad instead of 3 to 4 it might tell me something.

Also does anyone know how many grounds there are to the transmission? Edit: added 2 grounds and it didnt help anything.
Above the pan, to the right of drain plug there is one ground wire. But on the opposite side there is an empty threaded hole. I was thinking maybe there was 2 grounds?

Last edited by jehmin; 04-22-17 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 11:44 AM
jehmin
Driver

How to Temp get your self out of 3rd gear: besides put in park and back to drive from a complete stop.
if you have a ELM obdii reader and if you are able to multitask.
Or any OBDII reader for this matter ( warning if operating a obdii while driving a change in voltage might damage your unit. it has messed one of my cheap stand alone units before
Basically you can clear code while driving and it will shift out of 3rd in most cases. But sometimes you might go to a higher gear but it doesnt seem to have enough drive or power to really get you upto speed.
Also if you rev too fast it might try to jump you upto 5 and then back to 3. It should be a slow and steady rpm climb to prevent this.

Besides getting a new transmission I may try a few more options

Change Solenoid C
Change SLT
Change Wire Harness ( I think this might not solve anything as I am able to use techsteam to command all of them)
The only real useful information i could use is how to test the 2 above other than a resistance test. I also have access to a bootleg techsteam but it doesnt give me access to pressure data that I know of.
Old 06-01-17, 06:10 PM
s2kvee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jehmin
How to Temp get your self out of 3rd gear: besides put in park and back to drive from a complete stop.
if you have a ELM obdii reader and if you are able to multitask.
Or any OBDII reader for this matter ( warning if operating a obdii while driving a change in voltage might damage your unit. it has messed one of my cheap stand alone units before
Basically you can clear code while driving and it will shift out of 3rd in most cases. But sometimes you might go to a higher gear but it doesnt seem to have enough drive or power to really get you upto speed.
Also if you rev too fast it might try to jump you upto 5 and then back to 3. It should be a slow and steady rpm climb to prevent this.

Besides getting a new transmission I may try a few more options

Change Solenoid C
Change SLT
Change Wire Harness ( I think this might not solve anything as I am able to use techsteam to command all of them)
The only real useful information i could use is how to test the 2 above other than a resistance test. I also have access to a bootleg techsteam but it doesnt give me access to pressure data that I know of.

have you corrected the problem?... so far i have P2757 code for TCC, i plan on replacing that one solenoid but ive been reading that sometimes replaceing that solendoid will start a chain reaction where other solenoids begin to go bad also... currently my car drives fine. i noticed that on the freeway shifting from 5-6 is a bit laggy but it does shift.. sometimes downshifting also gets a bit clunky...
Old 06-02-17, 08:56 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

You should find another transmission instead of changing the solenoid (less than 35% to solve the problem)
Old 06-06-17, 02:47 PM
jehmin
Driver

Originally Posted by s2kvee
have you corrected the problem?... so far i have P2757 code for TCC, i plan on replacing that one solenoid but ive been reading that sometimes replacing that solenoid will start a chain reaction where other solenoids begin to go bad also... currently my car drives fine. i noticed that on the freeway shifting from 5-6 is a bit laggy but it does shift.. sometimes downshifting also gets a bit clunky...
Where did you read that changing a solenoid will lead to other problems? Im interest in reading of others findings.
It did start a different problem for me where i have listed above.
It useually does drive good while its cold. as resistance changes with heat.
Or perhaps particles are floating around when started and settle down when sitting for awhile.

So I couldnt tell you a real answer