IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Creaking Door Seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 12:29 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking Door Seals

My door seals are so annoying every little bump. Does anyone know how to quiet them down?
Old 04-09-17, 07:47 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by aventur2
My door seals are so annoying every little bump. Does anyone know how to quiet them down?
I am guessing you are meaning squeaking sounds. Try some Rubber door seal conditioner.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6vZiP75jTAhUiHGMKHU5KCCkQFgiWATAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2F303-30324-Rubber-Seal-Protectant%2Fdp%2FB00T44D1R2&usg=AFQjCNGoSIlu46hWhqaquNl5V3nKZ8WFvw&sig2=AdmM0sdSbl_LdBpSkRZVtA
Old 04-10-17, 03:27 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I'm not the only one here lol. Is this a known issue? I ask because I'm not fully sure it's the seals themselves. If you ride with your fingers touching both the door and the frame at the same time, you'll feel the door move a little more than it should at each bump. I'm starting to think it's either that the seals are just too small for the door and don't seal it like they should, or the lockwork in the door doesn't grip the striker tight enough. It may also be the door panel itself. It's annoying me soo much I may just start my sound deadening project early and yank this door panel off and see what's up in there...
Old 04-10-17, 12:56 PM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
So I'm not the only one here lol. Is this a known issue? I ask because I'm not fully sure it's the seals themselves. If you ride with your fingers touching both the door and the frame at the same time, you'll feel the door move a little more than it should at each bump. I'm starting to think it's either that the seals are just too small for the door and don't seal it like they should, or the lockwork in the door doesn't grip the striker tight enough. It may also be the door panel itself. It's annoying me soo much I may just start my sound deadening project early and yank this door panel off and see what's up in there...
I think they just get dry over time and what you hear is more of a plastic on dry rubber sound. They probably also lose their shape and springyness over time too.
Old 04-10-17, 02:59 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

I have a 30 year old car that doesn't suffer from this so.... I have to disagree. No way a 30 year old American car can compete with a newer Lexus lol. Lexus ****ed SOMEthing up bad here, and I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it lol.
Old 04-10-17, 04:01 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive has a similar issue over the years on 4 car models, Mercedes SLK, Audi, VWR32, and now my IS350.
Fixed them all with a sparingly thin wipe of Krytox grease.
This is used in grease and liquid form by major Euro car companies as well as other service shops, to quieten door seal, dash squeaks and folding roof seal.
Bad side is that it is expensive...BUT... it works.
I have a tube I purchased 10 years ago that is still 1/2 full.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUPONT-KRYTO...8AAOSwaB5Xt9uC

This is the one I have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KRYTOX-GPL-2...4AAOSwdGFYtpNk

Last edited by bazzle01; 04-10-17 at 04:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-10-17, 04:21 PM
AntzCro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had the same issue with my IS.
I sprayed a bit of WD-40 ( or spray lubricant ) on the hinge where the door connects to the body and haven't had that issue occur in 5 months or so.
The following users liked this post:
landonm86 (02-20-22)
Old 04-10-17, 05:27 PM
tom_s
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Try this...

Try this: crack your window open the slightest bit and go over that bump again. Does the noise go away? I have an occasional creak only on the driver door and I thought it was the door seal, too. Despite lubricating the seal, the creak remained. Then I found this solution--I rolled the window down and took a damp cotton towel and ran it in the groove where the window contacts the door window frame seal--the seal that is kind of fuzzy in texture. I found a good amount of dirt in that grooved slot, dirt which must have squeaked like rosin in an old bird-call. Works for me. I have to repeat the fix when the noise returns.

Now if it is the door seal, try Shin-Etsu Grease, a silicone grease I got long ago from the Honda dealership, Honda part 08798-9013, not cheap at $16.45 for a 3.5 oz tube. Great stuff.
Old 04-11-17, 11:26 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

I kind of tried the glass groove but I half-assed it. Will try it again now lol
Old 04-11-17, 06:43 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
I have a 30 year old car that doesn't suffer from this so.... I have to disagree. No way a 30 year old American car can compete with a newer Lexus lol. Lexus ****ed SOMEthing up bad here, and I'm hoping to get to the bottom of it lol.
You do realize a 30 year old american car had door closure tolerances of centimeters and your Lexus has tolerances of millimeters.
Old 04-12-17, 09:25 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I use AS303 Protectant on my seals.
Old 04-12-17, 06:20 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by B00M3R
You do realize a 30 year old american car had door closure tolerances of centimeters and your Lexus has tolerances of millimeters.
I know; even MORE of a reason not to make those sounds. It's even more compressed
Old 04-15-17, 10:48 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Ok, tried the silicone in the window tracts; nothing. I know it's the entire door moving around, I can feel it. Wrapped the striker with some of that chrome tape you use for duct work. It tightened it up and really helped. Then of course after it compressed a little the door loosened a tad. Tried the silicone; both types. MASSIVE fail. It made it TEN TIMES worse now After the silicone dried (bout 20 minutes) it made it STICKIER. Yes, both the wet and dry types. Then I tried dabbing the offending area with baby powder. Zero change. This rubber is just sticky, and there's nothing you can do about it. It's sticky with silicone on it, and it's sticky with baby powder on it lol.
Going to try some pam (olive oil congeals) and some dry lube we used on our weapons in the military in the desert and arctic weather. It's graphite. We'll see what that does next.
Old 04-15-17, 12:15 PM
Brian7
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I cleaned my window tracks out with a water soaked micro fiber and smeared a thin layer of dialectric grease on all the seals around all the doors and no more noises! Its great driving a completely silent car
Old 04-15-17, 12:57 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Dielectric grease isn't a slightest bit sticky?

Quick Reply: Creaking Door Seals