IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Mobil1 oil change interval. Is 10k miles okay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 04:05 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mobil1 oil change interval. Is 10k miles okay?

I have a 2007 IS250 with 83k miles and just realized it's starting to burn oil. I don't know how much atm. So I will be doing my own oil change from now on and was thinking of switching to Mobil1 full synthetic 5w30 because if I do Mobil1 at my mechanic, it's $80 per oil change and he recommends changing every 5k. I was reading in a thread that some owners are changing their oil every 10K with Mobil1 but I can't find the thread. Just wanted to make sure before I go out and buy all the supplies. Oil, ramp, oil catch pan, bigger jack, tools, etc.
Old 03-29-17, 05:33 PM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Relatively new owner and curious as well. It's got a 6 quart sump so 5k intervals seem excessive with quality synthetic. I would think 7500 would be easy as most BMWs have similar sumps and there was a time when 15k was recommended. No longer but still...
Old 03-29-17, 06:45 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

The owners manual says 5k. 10k seems like a stretch. I know newer cars have longer oil intervals. I've been running Mobile 1 full synthetic since I've owned my car and I do 5k interval changes. My engine burns about 1/2 quart every 3k miles so I top it off at 3k and change at 5k. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. That's just my opinion.
Old 03-29-17, 07:17 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The only way to find out is to get the mechanic to take a sample with a kit provided from Blackstone Lab ( http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php ) and send it in for analysis ($25). Just order the kit it's free and give him the little bottle to fill when doing your oil change. Then send it in and they will send you a report and tell you everything about the oil and the internals of your engine that manifests itself in the analysis.

They will be able to tell you how long you can go. I use Amsoil Signature Series and sent it in at 7500k, they have said that 10k is absolutely fine after an analysis since the oil had not broken down and was extremely clean (use the Mobile One filter). I'm not sure if Mobile One is a group 4 oil (could be a group 3). Group 4 oils have a pure synthetic virgin base.

The only way to really know is to have an analysis done.
Old 03-29-17, 07:48 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mrfix
The only way to find out is to get the mechanic to take a sample with a kit provided from Blackstone Lab ( http://www.blackstone-labs.com/free-test-kits.php ) and send it in for analysis ($25). Just order the kit it's free and give him the little bottle to fill when doing your oil change. Then send it in and they will send you a report and tell you everything about the oil and the internals of your engine that manifests itself in the analysis.

They will be able to tell you how long you can go. I use Amsoil Signature Series and sent it in at 7500k, they have said that 10k is absolutely fine after an analysis since the oil had not broken down and was extremely clean (use the Mobile One filter). I'm not sure if Mobile One is a group 4 oil (could be a group 3). Group 4 oils have a pure synthetic virgin base.

The only way to really know is to have an analysis done.
I see this working only if your car doesn't burn oil a significant amount of oil. I've ran my car almost 5k without changing the oil or topping it off and the low oil light came on. When I changed the oil, I think I had a little over 4 quarts from the drain. If you top off your oil before before changing the oil and send in a sample, the reading might be inaccurate since you are mixing new oil with old oil.
Old 03-29-17, 08:44 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Thanks, guys I'll switch to Mobil1 and continue to change it every 5K. $$$ will be a little tight for the next year. I took a lower paying job in order for me to drop off and pick up my daughter from school and it's worth every moment. I was just trying not to spend the extra $$$ unless I have to. Actually, I just realized, If I do it myself, it will cost around the same of what I'm paying now to have it done.
I will also do the Blackstone think once I do like 2 or 3 oil change of the new Mobil1.
Old 03-29-17, 09:06 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by SQLnovice
Thanks, guys I'll switch to Mobil1 and continue to change it every 5K. $$$ will be a little tight for the next year. I took a lower paying job in order for me to drop off and pick up my daughter from school and it's worth every moment. I was just trying not to spend the extra $$$ unless I have to. Actually, I just realized, If I do it myself, it will cost around the same of what I'm paying now to have it done.
I will also do the Blackstone think once I do like 2 or 3 oil change of the new Mobil1.
My oil changes cost ~$30 to do it myself vs $100 at the dealership. I usually buy my oil at Costco in bulk when it goes on sale (~$26 for 6 quarts) and I buy OEM filters off Ebay in bulk as well (~$4/filter). Of course, you need to buy a jack, jack stands, oil catch pan, and the oil filter adapter so you can remove the housing. If you want to make life a little easier, replace the drain plug with a EZ oil drain valve.
Old 03-30-17, 03:27 AM
2grfan
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mrfix, can you port the blackstone report? I think the 5k recommendation comes from direct injection due the possible fuel dissolution that comes with it. So Toyota played it safe. I found several old threads that said with a quality oil and filter 10k was possible.
Old 03-30-17, 06:25 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

There's a good oil analysis thread on the IS-F sub-forum with multiple Blackstone Lab reports posted which showed plenty of oil life left at the 10k and 12k interval when using quality synthetic oil (even when driven hard at the track).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-uoa-here.html
Old 03-30-17, 08:05 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
I see this working only if your car doesn't burn oil a significant amount of oil. I've ran my car almost 5k without changing the oil or topping it off and the low oil light came on. When I changed the oil, I think I had a little over 4 quarts from the drain. If you top off your oil before before changing the oil and send in a sample, the reading might be inaccurate since you are mixing new oil with old oil.
When you submit the sample for analysis, one of the questions they ask is the number of quarts of make-up oil that you've added between changes, so I presume they have a proper way of taking this into account.
Old 03-30-17, 04:24 PM
SQLnovice
Driver

Thanks a bunch guys. "doing my own oil change" here I come.
Also, just learned that my father-in-law has everything needed to change the oil.
All I will need to buy is the tool to remove the oil filter.

Just on a side note, the last time I changed my own oil was sometime around 1995. A few days ago I walked into a discount auto and look at the Mobil1 oil for $9.95 per quart, and I was like WTF. I was just shocked at the price for being out of the loop for so long.
I will buy from Costco or Wallmart and save some significant $$$.