IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 08:58 AM
Legion45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Legion45; 03-15-19 at 01:57 AM.
Old 03-06-18, 10:36 AM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 12:06 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're right DMV350 , they just can't do it forever, there has to be a cut off date sometime. The previous owner should have signed up for it while it was still time. The front panels should cost more than the rear ones since they are quite a bit bigger.
Old 03-11-18, 12:02 PM
andthen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whitecel
So 3 days ago I go in for the dash and they miraculously have panels for me. So after 2 years i finally have it all replaced. No apologies no nothing from them. It was here's the fix and now gtfo.
Sure sounds like the squeaky-wheel (you) got the grease (front-of-the-line attention).

Count your blessings, IMO. You drive a Lexus, and there are other Lexus owners who will wait even longer. All makes and all models experience recalls... for Toyota/Lexus, an annoyance is surely better than something in the driveline/electrical/HVAC.
Old 03-12-18, 03:14 PM
Kalynn
Driver School Candidate

Angry Denied by Santa Monica,CA Dealer & Executive Corporate Office replacement of panels

The Santa Monica, CA Lexus dealer and Corporate Executive Office, REFUSE to replacement panels due to employee mishandling of order. I first made contact with Lexus of Santa Monica in October of 2016, regarding the panels with Service Assistant Victor Jimenez, he told me to come in for an inspection and told me it would be a while until the panels came in because the factory in Japan was running slow and he already had a customer who had been waiting several months. He told me to call in and check with him every three months or so, and I did exactly that. I would leave voicemails and he would call me back most of the time. Every time we spoke he would give me an update mentioning some customers were waiting over a year, and the factory delayed and at times halted production, and he would call whenever the panels arrived. I called in on 2-19-18, and asked to speak with Victor and was told he was no longer works with Lexus of Santa Monica. A woman needed Lorraina Flores, took the phone call, she very quickly told me there was no record of the panel being ordered their system, I replied no way there must be some mistake I have been speaking to Victor about this for order a year now. Lorraina replied there were was no order in the system and there was no text communication regarding the replacement. I was shocked and asks why would I have texted him about the replacement, I only text him when I was bringing the card in for service there was an issue and it just so happened that we discussed the replacement over the phone and in person and I didn't think I needed to document the conversation because the car has had several recalls and I have had them all and never had a problem, I would have never foreseen something like this. Lorraina also told me she was unable to contact Victor and insinuated I was not the only person this has happened to, she then told me I could reach out to corporate office where I was given the complete run-around for about a month. I first spoke with several customer experience representatives a woman named Cassy then it was "escalated" to Brook Malacen, then it was "escalated" to Marion on 2/21/18 and finally ended with Executive Corporate Office, a very koi and dismissive woman named Lindsey Tor, who told me there is nothing she can do and it is not a corporate problem the best thing I could do is to call the dealer back.

What do I do? Do I sue Lexus? I called the dealer back and left a third message for GM Matt Uger, but I have not heard anything back from him, it looks like they are very much aware of the foul play by their employee and don't want to accept responsibility and be held accountable for their employee's actions.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
Old 03-12-18, 06:13 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalynn
The Santa Monica, CA Lexus dealer and Corporate Executive Office, REFUSE to replacement panels due to employee mishandling of order. I first made contact with Lexus of Santa Monica in October of 2016, regarding the panels with Service Assistant Victor Jimenez, he told me to come in for an inspection and told me it would be a while until the panels came in because the factory in Japan was running slow and he already had a customer who had been waiting several months. He told me to call in and check with him every three months or so, and I did exactly that. I would leave voicemails and he would call me back most of the time. Every time we spoke he would give me an update mentioning some customers were waiting over a year, and the factory delayed and at times halted production, and he would call whenever the panels arrived. I called in on 2-19-18, and asked to speak with Victor and was told he was no longer works with Lexus of Santa Monica. A woman needed Lorraina Flores, took the phone call, she very quickly told me there was no record of the panel being ordered their system, I replied no way there must be some mistake I have been speaking to Victor about this for order a year now. Lorraina replied there were was no order in the system and there was no text communication regarding the replacement. I was shocked and asks why would I have texted him about the replacement, I only text him when I was bringing the card in for service there was an issue and it just so happened that we discussed the replacement over the phone and in person and I didn't think I needed to document the conversation because the car has had several recalls and I have had them all and never had a problem, I would have never foreseen something like this. Lorraina also told me she was unable to contact Victor and insinuated I was not the only person this has happened to, she then told me I could reach out to corporate office where I was given the complete run-around for about a month. I first spoke with several customer experience representatives a woman named Cassy then it was "escalated" to Brook Malacen, then it was "escalated" to Marion on 2/21/18 and finally ended with Executive Corporate Office, a very koi and dismissive woman named Lindsey Tor, who told me there is nothing she can do and it is not a corporate problem the best thing I could do is to call the dealer back.

What do I do? Do I sue Lexus? I called the dealer back and left a third message for GM Matt Uger, but I have not heard anything back from him, it looks like they are very much aware of the foul play by their employee and don't want to accept responsibility and be held accountable for their employee's actions.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
You can always complain on Lexus's Twitter/Facebook and see if that gets you anywhere with them if it does, they'll ask you. or just dm you, for info. These companies don't like bad press on their company pages. Could always see if the dealer has a page too.
Old 03-20-18, 11:53 PM
soulific
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

I couldn't even get the recall. I purchased a used 2006 is250 3 weeks ago. I didnt know about this recall or thread... The seller said the dash wasn't a issue because there is a recall going on and I can get it fixed free from Lexus.

Well the date for my car was way in 2016 from what I'm reading! The seller jipped me and gave me false info.Im mad at myself for not researching but I needed a car.

If there anything I can do you guys think? The dash wasn't as bad when i first purchased the car, but now that the detailer spray or whatever the seller had on it is wearing off is pretty bad. Really annoying that Im thinking of selling the car.

Last edited by soulific; 03-21-18 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 06:51 AM
DMV350
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Last edited by DMV350; 01-14-19 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-21-18, 05:15 PM
soulific
Advanced

Originally Posted by DMV350
I assume you meant to say 2006?

That's a tough situation. The seller either lied to you, or possibly just wasn't aware of the end date for the dash fix. Regardless, you will probably have a difficult time getting Lexus to play ball at this point. What symptoms are you experiencing with your dash?

Yeah I meant 2006... The symptoms are actually pretty bad, I can smell the plastic somewhat when its sunny, kinda smells like oil. Also the handles, panels, and dash leave residue on your fingers and clothes. I wouldn't care as much if it was cosmetic only (which is pretty ugly), but Im thinking about the health issues long term. No matter what people tell you, if plastic/rubber is degrading like that particles are getting into the air and your breathing it in, and being on your skin, or fingers is a health issue long term. I have kids that ride in the car and it gets on their fingers. Kids don't know any better and put their hands in their mouth and ingest this stuff... I don't want to think what can happen. Its not worth illness or even cancer. This stuff feel like oil or glue, if you ingest oil or glue you will eventually get sick.

I just called Lexus and they explained the panels is more of a warranty assistance , and not a safety recall. I don't see how different this is from the takata airbag recall.

TAKATA AIRBAG - Only effects you if you crash your car and airbag goes off and kills you. They wanted it fixed cause the effect was seen instantly from accidents. If you never get in a accident you won't be harmed.

MELTING PANEL AND DASH - Effects you constantly while your in the vehicle, and effects anyone else in your car. Will kill you long term as exposure to chemicals or anything foreign to your body causes cancer and disease.

Im really hoping Lexus can help me as even selling this car ill be losing money I can't afford right now. I won't rip off the next buyer, like how i was. I bought the car for more than i should with this issue.

I came from owning 2 different Ct200h's without any issues. Even my 93 sc300 years back didnt have any issues like this! Pretty bummed at this point. I needed this car to last me the next 6-8 years.

Last edited by soulific; 03-21-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-22-18, 05:18 PM
soulific
Advanced

Update,

Lexus corporate doesn't care... Said the respectfully decline to assist.

Im pretty much in a bad situation now. Dealer said labor alone is $800, part over 1k just for dash.

LIFE.
Old 04-18-18, 11:14 AM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone get the door panels recently? I'm still waiting on mine and it's been a while since "order" was placed by my dealer. Based on my dealer , they say door panels are trickling in with no particular order.
Old 04-19-18, 05:53 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I just saw another member say that he got the dash for $414 plus tax and dealer wanted $390 install labor. Took them three hours.

Originally Posted by soulific
Update,

Lexus corporate doesn't care... Said the respectfully decline to assist.

Im pretty much in a bad situation now. Dealer said labor alone is $800, part over 1k just for dash.

LIFE.
Old 04-19-18, 08:07 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TakaM
Anyone get the door panels recently? I'm still waiting on mine and it's been a while since "order" was placed by my dealer. Based on my dealer , they say door panels are trickling in with no particular order.
Got my door panels replaced in January after waiting for almost a year.
Old 04-19-18, 11:26 PM
Kingdom934
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecel
Here's my story....car is an 06. From 09 all the panels and dash was sticky, cracking, or chunks chipped off. Got the official letter in feb of 2016. Servco Lexus Hawaii approved for dash and panels to be replaced. Gave me a time frame of 10 months. 10 months turned to 12 months which turned to 14 months. At 14 months they told me 2 years. So I waited and asked them for an update at 10 months, 12 months, 14 months, & 2 years. Each time I would call them 5 times and each time they said the guy handling my car would call me back. Never did the whole 2 years. So I got fed up with their games and called Lexus Corp and explained my painful 2 year story and how I am utterly disappointed and it's been holding me back from getting any decent money to sell it. They said they will investigate and call me back. 1 week later servo calls and says we have a dash for you. So 3 days ago I go in for the dash and they miraculously have panels for me. So after 2 years i finally have it all replaced. No apologies no nothing from them. It was here's the fix and now gtfo.

I will never buy a Lexus again and will tell all my friends never to buy a Lexus from Servco Lexus. Unfortunately they are the only Lexus dealer on island. That's my story and I bid you all good luck. I can finally be done with Lexus.

Took about 2 years and a few months for just the dash after I went to Servco Lexus for my Dash after buying the car from a small used car lot. It was getting pretty sticky. The door panels are still on order...
During my work order in Dec 2017, I got all the recalls done as well. Happy Camper.

Initially they told me that it would be about a 6-8 months. I called around the one year mark and then again around the two year mark. I wasn't given half the run around as you though.

When I got the IS in mid 2015, I went to Servco Lexus right after I found out about the official 'enhancement' program and was eligible for the replacement. I didn't get any notification as I was the second owner, so I went in to schedule a visual inspection and the VIN was on the list. The notifications were mailed to the original owners of the car.

Eh, it's not too bad for a (now) 12 year old car getting a new dash and *hopefully* door panels. I wonder if it's just the production rates are so low on these parts, Toyota/Lexus hopes that the cars die before they get their dash replacements lol. Again, all that 'lifetime' fluid is soon to 'expire' for these cars.

Last edited by Kingdom934; 04-19-18 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 04:55 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks like the P/N for dash is 55400-53906-CO for black. MSRP is only $391. Most online dealers charge $294, but i'm sure their fees and shipping will be way more than trying to pickup at local dealer if there is even stock of it.
Really expected it to be much more than that.

Damn door panels are like $700-$900 each.

Originally Posted by sinister2c
I just saw another member say that he got the dash for $414 plus tax and dealer wanted $390 install labor. Took them three hours.

Quick Reply: How long are you waiting for your Sticky/Cracking dash recall?