Continental ExtremeContact DSW06 - Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 03:25 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Continental ExtremeContact DSW06 - Vibration

Hey All,

I picked up a set of Continental ExtremeContact DSW06 tires to replace my aging set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric All Seasons. I got them put on at a local tire place that did a free alignment check and included a road force tire rotation. Everything was going smoothly for a few days until last night when I was leaving work and I started to getting some vibration on the highway. It started to go away as the tires warmed up. Then this morning I hit the road and the vibration was even worst and was shaking the car. I had a friend that picked up a set of the last model DSWs and had to return them because he got bad vibration as well (he also put them on during the winter). There a few things that have happened since I got the tires on at the start of the week:

*The weather when I got the tires had been 40F+ for the few days I was driving around with no issue.
*The weather the past 2 days (when I've had the vibration) has been low 30F
*I thought one of the tires looked low so I checked the PSI and the shop had set the pressure to 32-33 PSI per tire. I pumped them up to 35 in the front and 38 in the back per the spec on the inside of the drivers side door. I thought about this today and set them back to 32 PSI all around and the vibration went away for the most part (still have some).

My questions are:
*Do these tires not like the higher PSI that we're supposed to run?
*Is it normal to get vibration in cold weather until tires are broken in?
*Is the roadforce tire balance done with a specific PSI that can't be changed?

I wont be able to get the car into the shop for 2 weeks to verify a weight hasn't fallen off since I'm getting body work done right now, but wanted to try to brain storm the problem since I had a friend with the same issue that also drove an IS250.
The following users liked this post:
Eazyls430 (05-01-22)
Old 02-03-17, 06:41 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I had a set of Continental DW on my ISF:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reme-dw-8.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page. Hated the damn things.

Lou
Old 02-04-17, 11:49 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I've had the DWS tires and they were fine. Could be cold weather flat spotting, or one wheel may have thrown a weight. Take the car back and have them look at it.
Old 02-04-17, 04:55 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My Sumitomo HTR A/S P02's flat spot like crazy during the winter even if the car sit's for less than 24 hours. I will never go with Sumitomo's ever again.
Once you get a few miles in them it goes away but that first few miles is bumpy.
Old 02-07-17, 04:29 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Thanks for the replies guys. I was reading a post elsewhere about how higher tire pressure can get rid of the flat spotting - just odd that it made my vibration worst. I'm going to fill the tires back up to spec and take it in to see if its a balancing issue. If not then I'll probably look for another set of tires.
Old 02-07-17, 04:37 PM
Dimitrij30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them up front and must say really good tires, 38 PSI with no problem. But I do have slight vibration going around 80 probably cheap rims or bent.
Old 02-08-17, 06:40 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds like a balancing issue. I have those tires on my IS (during the warmer months, I run snows this time of year) and they're smooth. I would bring them back to the shop for a rebalance. If that doesn't cure it, try another shop. I've learned over the years that it's key to find a shop that has a good balance machine and calibrates it regularly. Sometimes these tire chains don't take care of their stuff;' get em' in and get em' out.
Old 02-14-17, 09:31 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dimitrij30
I have them up front and must say really good tires, 38 PSI with no problem. But I do have slight vibration going around 80 probably cheap rims or bent.
Gotcha, thanks for the verification.

Originally Posted by Skier76
That sounds like a balancing issue. I have those tires on my IS (during the warmer months, I run snows this time of year) and they're smooth. I would bring them back to the shop for a rebalance. If that doesn't cure it, try another shop. I've learned over the years that it's key to find a shop that has a good balance machine and calibrates it regularly. Sometimes these tire chains don't take care of their stuff;' get em' in and get em' out.
Have you ever had them one when it's sub 40 degrees? What PSI do you run? I'm surprised you don't run these all year round in CT since you have AWD. I was outside of Syracuse for years and didn't feel the need to swap my good all seasons for snow tires
Old 02-14-17, 09:49 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

I never had any issues with my DWS tires.
Old 02-14-17, 02:53 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Did the shop use road force balancer ? Were all 4 within specs ? The machine supposed to give you exact force in pounds for each wheel. When I had nightmare balancing issues on Hankooks, I ended up taking a car to a dealer and it took them minutes to find out that 1 tire produced more force and ended up beeing defective. Local tire shop ended up paying all dealer bills and replaced defective tire. < ps. tire shop could not identify the defective tire after 3-4 times I took it for rebalancing
Old 02-15-17, 10:00 AM
Skier76
Driver

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Gotcha, thanks for the verification.

Have you ever had them one when it's sub 40 degrees? What PSI do you run? I'm surprised you don't run these all year round in CT since you have AWD. I was outside of Syracuse for years and didn't feel the need to swap my good all seasons for snow tires
I believe I have. It was probably that temp a few times before I swapped the snows over. I had them at whatever PSI is recommended on the sticker in the door jamb.

The snows make a really good difference. The DSWs are great tires, but the snows are much better in the snow. We head north to ski a lot, so having the snows is a good insurance policy. Just have to be mindful of those people running performance tires, but think they're OK with AWD. Yikes.
Old 03-10-17, 07:12 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Just wanted to give an update..

After picking up my car from the body shop I re-inflated the tires to 35/38 and headed to the tire shop. They put my car up on a lift and did an inspection and said that the weights were still on there and everything looked good. I didn't notice any vibration that day since it was a little warmer out. Few weeks later and things seem pretty normal. I do feel a little vibration sometimes but it tends to go away after driving for a few minutes. I drove in the snow today and didn't really feel it at all. I think the cold / break in period of the tires are what caused the vibration to begin with (which is odd to me). Hopefully this pain period is worth it, the tires did perform really well today.