Switching from 87 to 91 Octane Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 01:13 PM
Zosopage
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switching from 87 to 91 Octane Gas

Delete Thread

Last edited by Zosopage; 02-10-17 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 01:43 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Wont do any harm.
After a few driving cycles the computer will slowly readjust timing etc.
Old 01-30-17, 07:43 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its suppose to have gotten 93 octane since new....surprised there's been no problems putting in cheap gas. It's not a Camry.
Old 01-30-17, 07:56 PM
HartFB
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like they said, you should have no issues. Gas is gas, octane just essentially means what temperature the explosion that causes combustion to occur occurs at. People that tell you 91 is "better" it's really not, all it does it combust at a different temperature which boosts its performance. 87 gas shouldn't have any negative effect due to the motor just accounting for the time of combustion.

That being said, I've always used the 91 because a few extra dollars doesn't kill the wallet and the extra preformace you get out of it is worth it imo.
Old 01-30-17, 09:29 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Costco my Friend, Costco....Top Tier fuel, 5 times the required additives, 10-15 cents less a gallon.

The ECU on modern day cars is able to mess with the timing enough to make up for lower octane. The only difference is you won't make as much power because of it.
Old 01-30-17, 11:10 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Costco my Friend, Costco....Top Tier fuel, 5 times the required additives, 10-15 cents less a gallon.

The ECU on modern day cars is able to mess with the timing enough to make up for lower octane. The only difference is you won't make as much power because of it.
Why would he buy an IS350 only to put lower octane fuel in there to have less power...? Squeeze all the power out of the IS350 as you can! Go 91!
Old 01-31-17, 05:35 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HartFB
Like they said, you should have no issues. Gas is gas, octane just essentially means what temperature the explosion that causes combustion to occur occurs at. People that tell you 91 is "better" it's really not, all it does it combust at a different temperature which boosts its performance. 87 gas shouldn't have any negative effect due to the motor just accounting for the time of combustion.

That being said, I've always used the 91 because a few extra dollars doesn't kill the wallet and the extra preformace you get out of it is worth it imo.

It's not just performance, it's gas mileage too. The car burns less gas to get the same power when it can advance the timing. So depending how you drive it might not actually even cost more to run premium.

Originally Posted by istarzan
Its suppose to have gotten 93 octane since new.....
Where did you read this? I have never heard of a car requiring 93, being that you cannot find it very many places. 91 is the standard recommended premium fuel for virtually every car manufacturer.

Last edited by Viktimize; 01-31-17 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 05:37 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by Mrfix

Costco just buys their fuel from refineries like everyone else. Shell, Esso, Petro, etc. But when purchasing raw gasoline, they don't the maufactures additive pack. Are you saying Costco has their own additive pack they add locally at their stations? That would be news to me.
Old 01-31-17, 06:34 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
It's not just performance, it's gas mileage too. The car burns less gas to get the same power when it can advance the timing. So depending how you drive it might not actually even cost more to run premium.

Where did you read this? I have never heard of a car requiring 93, being that you cannot find it very many places. 91 is the standard recommended premium fuel for virtually every car manufacturer.
Doesn't the manual say premium? Premium is 93 in NC, there there's 89 and 87.
Old 01-31-17, 06:48 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by istarzan
Doesn't the manual say premium? Premium is 93 in NC, there there's 89 and 87.

According to Lexus it is 91

http://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8129/~/which-fuel-grade-should-i-use-for-my-lexus-vehicle%3F

I'm
guessing you just tend to get your fuel at a station that doesn't carry anything without Ethanol? Their premiums are always higher octane with that garbage in it. But any normal gasoline is 91 Octane for Premium.
Old 01-31-17, 07:58 AM
Trolling55
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends where you're at. I'm in socal and 91 octane is my premium
Old 01-31-17, 08:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
But any normal gasoline is 91 Octane for Premium.
Not so! In Eastern part of the US Premium is 93 octane. It's 91 octane in the West

Lou
Old 01-31-17, 10:15 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
Not so! In Eastern part of the US Premium is 93 octane. It's 91 octane in the West

Lou
They have 93 Octane all over the country, just not in every station. As mentioned 93 Octane is generally an Ethanol blended fuel though. I personally don't know of any refineries that specifically make a 93 Octane straight gasoline. Reason being is that government standard for premium fuel is 91 Octane, and oil companies aren't generally in the business of giving away free heavy ends. Most companies now offer a 93/94 Octane fuel by blending Ethanol, which gives free Octane basically as Ethanol is dirt cheap compared to gasoline components. However Ethanol does not deliver the same energy per liter as Gasoline, so it kills mileage.

I'm pretty well versed at my job. But I still learn things from time to time, there could possibly be some refinery making a 93 Octane full gasoline.
Old 01-31-17, 11:18 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^All gasoline currently sold is an Ethanol blended fuel. All the Fuel pumps that I have seen are labeled as containing not more than 10% ethanol, known as E10. And yes, 93 Octane is available all over, but in the west it's a speciality fuel, available at a limited number of stations. 91 Octane is the standard Premium. Not so in the East, there 93 Octane is the standard rating for Premium.

Lou
Old 01-31-17, 11:48 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^All gasoline currently sold is an Ethanol blended fuel. All the Fuel pumps that I have seen are labeled as containing not more than 10% ethanol, known as E10. And yes, 93 Octane is available all over, but in the west it's a speciality fuel, available at a limited number of stations. 91 Octane is the standard Premium. Not so in the East, there 93 Octane is the standard rating for Premium.

Lou
Must be a crazy U.S. tree hugging thing. So where do people in the states get marine fuel? You have to go a special supplier for that instead of just filling up at the gas station?

Quick Reply: Switching from 87 to 91 Octane Gas