IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Trunk difficult to lift, is the hinge or assist mechanism broken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-17, 09:48 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk difficult to lift, is the hinge or assist mechanism broken?

When you unlock the trunk, is there supposed to be significant resistance to overcome in order to open the trunk door fully? I can't remember for sure but I thought that when my car was newer, after the trunk is popped open, the lid has some kind of pneumatic assist that makes it easy to open and prevents the lid from being slammed shut too loudly. Is what I'm experiencing normal or do I have to spend more time at the gym? Only reason I'm asking is because my extended warranty runs out this year so want to utilize it as much as I can.
Old 01-23-17, 03:42 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

The lid does have two pneumatic assist cylinders to make opening the trunk easier. It's possible that yours have failed. The trunk doesn't have enough umph to power open on it's own, but opening it shouldn't feel like a workout at the gym.
Old 01-23-17, 07:54 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Two things about our trunks is that :

1) the hydro-assisting shocks WILL wear out within 10 years and for <$100 both shocks can be replaced (DIY)
2) the factory rubber gasket that seals the trunk lid works super well. During the summer I find myself even with 1yr old trunk shocks still help pulling up the trunk lid to separate the two apart.
Old 01-23-17, 10:38 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
The lid does have two pneumatic assist cylinders to make opening the trunk easier. It's possible that yours have failed. The trunk doesn't have enough umph to power open on it's own, but opening it shouldn't feel like a workout at the gym.
Originally Posted by Gville350
Two things about our trunks is that :

1) the hydro-assisting shocks WILL wear out within 10 years and for <$100 both shocks can be replaced (DIY)
2) the factory rubber gasket that seals the trunk lid works super well. During the summer I find myself even with 1yr old trunk shocks still help pulling up the trunk lid to separate the two apart.
Thanks, I figured something was wrong. My car is just over 5 years old and I don't use the trunk all that much, wouldn't have expected the shocks would go so quickly. Sometimes the seals are sticky but usually only if I haven't opened the trunk in a while. I can tell it's the shock because the trunk is not only hard to open but it's very easy to slam it shut because there's no resistance in the closing motion.
Old 01-24-17, 04:08 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been at least 6 years since my '06 had a trunk lid that didn't take King Kong to lift open. (at least for my wife) Can't remember what Lexus quoted me to fix it but I passed. Maybe they thought I wanted a quote on a whole new car and not just to have the trunk lid repaired. But it was a LOT of $$.
Old 01-24-17, 05:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...u-open-it.html

Note: There's a link in that thread leading to replacement struts.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
istarzan (01-24-17)
Old 01-24-17, 06:44 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My truck opens .01 inch when I unlock it, and real heavy to lift. It just got back from the body shop and I thought that had something do with it. I wonder if that ebay link in the other thread is an OEM strut.
Old 01-24-17, 11:16 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexustom
It's been at least 6 years since my '06 had a trunk lid that didn't take King Kong to lift open. (at least for my wife) Can't remember what Lexus quoted me to fix it but I passed. Maybe they thought I wanted a quote on a whole new car and not just to have the trunk lid repaired. But it was a LOT of $$.
That's hilarious. Maybe I should use the money for a gym membership.

Originally Posted by flowrider
See this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...u-open-it.html

Note: There's a link in that thread leading to replacement struts.

Lou
Cool thanks! Apparently the shocks are supposed to lose pressure over time, even these replacement ones.

Originally Posted by istarzan
My truck opens .01 inch when I unlock it, and real heavy to lift. It just got back from the body shop and I thought that had something do with it. I wonder if that ebay link in the other thread is an OEM strut.
I think based on what I read in the link, they are aftermarket shocks that meet or exceed OEM performance. They supposedly make sure to keep their stock "fresh" because the shocks lose pressure over time naturally. Makes me wonder whether it will be worth it to replace the shocks if they will eventually get to this state again. Didn't think they would deteriorate at this rate.