IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS-F / Sport Steering ECU

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 09:50 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ohiois350
So like you guys said if i buy the used ISF steering ecu, I don't have to take to a dealer to get a calibration? Just plug and play? Thanks
Should just be plug and play, mine was, but, as Jeff said, best to calibrate it again (I did anyways).

Originally Posted by edhohoho
Not to mention a $200+ dollar price difference!

Aside from steering feel, does the ECU provide any physical handling improvements like those conferred by sway bars and struts/springs? I've never had a chance to drive a BMW so it's hard for me to imagine how the feel of the steering wheel movements translates into perceived performance.
Read up on this thread in the F forum if you want some more info about it from F owners: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-2010-f-3.html

Last edited by Zmon; 01-16-17 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-17-17, 06:53 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Aside from steering feel, does the ECU provide any physical handling improvements like those conferred by sway bars and struts/springs? I've never had a chance to drive a BMW so it's hard for me to imagine how the feel of the steering wheel movements translates into perceived performance.
The IS-F Steering ECU won't directly improve cornering grip, skidpad figures, or other g-force metrics but compared to the stock ISx50 steering ECU, the steering feel, feedback from the road, and greater degree of steering input (due to reduced power assist) will impact the driver's confidence and performance on the track or on a twisty canyon road.

As a result, the benefits provided by the Steering ECU upgrade will allow you to achieve a more consistent lap time or to confidently and consistently push the limits of your car as you have a much greater awareness of what your tires are doing at all times.

The numb steering feel, overly sensitive power assist, and lack of feedback of the stock ISx350 Steering ECU will leave you feeling disconnected and guessing on what the car and tires are trying to do during any type of high performance driving.
Old 01-17-17, 10:06 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be worthwhile to buy a used laptop with Techstream loaded to calibrate the ECU? Does it matter what version is loaded? Does it have to be registered in order to be used? What else can Techstream be used for?
Old 01-18-17, 04:28 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Out of curiosity, where are y'all getting the ECU's ?
Old 01-18-17, 05:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Would it be worthwhile to buy a used laptop with Techstream loaded to calibrate the ECU? Does it matter what version is loaded? Does it have to be registered in order to be used? What else can Techstream be used for?
Techstream software isn't sold outright, rather it is offered on a subscription basis -- more specifically an entitlement that comes with a professional diagnostic level subscription to TIS. See https://techinfo.toyota.com. It works with the Mongoose cables or the cheaper generic mini-VCI cables sold on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere. Be aware that there are two versions of the cable; you'll need the 64 bit version if you want to use it on a laptop with a modern 64 bit OS like Windows 10.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-18-17 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 10:13 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HankMoody
Out of curiosity, where are y'all getting the ECU's ?
When i purchased mine, the dealer had the best price, surprisingly.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-20-17 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Don't discuss pirating software
Old 01-19-17, 11:24 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bichon
Techstream software isn't sold outright, rather it is offered on a subscription basis -- more specifically an entitlement that comes with a professional diagnostic level subscription to TIS. See https://techinfo.toyota.com. It works with the Mongoose cables or the cheaper generic mini-VCI cables sold on eBay, Amazon and elsewhere. Be aware that there are two versions of the cable; you'll need the 64 bit version if you want to use it on a laptop with a modern 64 bit OS like Windows 10.
I've seen some beat up old laptops (presumably previously used at mechanic shops) being sold with Windows XP and probably old versions of Techstream loaded. Is there some type of login or subscription verification before it can be used or is it a standalone product as long as a previously registered version is being used?
Old 01-20-17, 05:24 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I've seen some beat up old laptops (presumably previously used at mechanic shops) being sold with Windows XP and probably old versions of Techstream loaded. Is there some type of login or subscription verification before it can be used or is it a standalone product as long as a previously registered version is being used?
A professional diagnostic level subscription to TIS is required to use any version of the Techstream software legally. Discussion of how Toyota enforces this runs afoul of the rules that all of us agreed to when we joined ClubLexus and can't be discussed here.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-20-17 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-21-17, 10:22 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

My 2013 ECU got delivered a couple days ago. Will hopefully pick it up and get it installed and calibrated this coming week. I'm trying to make mental notes of the feel of the steering before I make the change so I can make a comparison.
Old 01-24-17, 07:39 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one new from the dealer & had one of the parts guys do the calibration for me. I think it was worth the money, makes the car feel more like a 'normal' non-power steering rack car.

I will say that driving the couple miles to the dealer with no actual P.S. was not fun, lucky that I lived in an area where I could take easy back roads to avoid any traffic.
Old 01-24-17, 10:56 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Originally Posted by JETLEX
I bought one new from the dealer & had one of the parts guys do the calibration for me. I think it was worth the money, makes the car feel more like a 'normal' non-power steering rack car.

I will say that driving the couple miles to the dealer with no actual P.S. was not fun, lucky that I lived in an area where I could take easy back roads to avoid any traffic.
If you don't mind me asking, about how much did they charge you for the calibration? And how long did it take you to install the ECU yourself?

I don't live that close to the dealership I normally go to, and if they don't want to do the installation/calibration then I would have to drive much farther to the dealership where other forum members have been able to get the job done so I'm not sure I can do without power steering for that amount of time.
Old 01-25-17, 06:32 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

For reference, my dealership charged me an hour of labor for calibrating the steering ECU.

I also think it might be hit-or-miss regarding whether or not you'll have zero power assist after installing the new IS-F steering ECU. When I made my 10-15 mile journey to the Lexus dealership to get the new steering ECU calibrated, the steering felt like it was already pre-calibrated to the new setup. After the IS-F steering ECU was officially calibrated, I felt no additional changes in steering feel compared to the initial drive to the dealership that morning.
Old 01-25-17, 02:49 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, about how much did they charge you for the calibration? And how long did it take you to install the ECU yourself?

I don't live that close to the dealership I normally go to, and if they don't want to do the installation/calibration then I would have to drive much farther to the dealership where other forum members have been able to get the job done so I'm not sure I can do without power steering for that amount of time.
As Spencer said, it's just an hour of labor to calibrate it if you installed it already (which it really isn't a hard install, you may need to reuse the brackets on your old ECU as the bracket that came on the F ECU didn't fit into place on my car). Any Toyota or Lexus dealer can do it.

After driving it for the past week, it's definitely an improvement over the stock steering ECU. If you want a heavier feel, this is def the way to go. Flipping the pwr switch tightens it up some more.

Last edited by Zmon; 01-12-18 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 06:46 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Looking forward to receiving mine in the mail! YAY!
Old 01-26-17, 08:45 AM
Gohanburne
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

I can only find two. A 12 for $399 and a new 13 for $530. Is whatever this does really worth that kind of money?

Quick Reply: IS-F / Sport Steering ECU