IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Found an interesting spot for the cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 11:12 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Found an interesting spot for the cell phone

So, I had the entire center console trim out to do some vinyl wrapping and at the moment have it installed again without the cup-holder cover (the part the pops up). With this lid removed, there is a sloped back to cupholder that fits my Samsung s7 perfectly. The phone sits there slightly inclined with the entire touchscreen available. The home button and soft buttons are just below the edge, however. I might just leave this cover off and fashion a piece of plastic to cover the rear part and hold the phone a little higher so that the home button is accessible. This puts the phone right at my fingertips while resting my arm on the armrest.

When I get motivated to go back out to the car in this subzero windchill, I will take a picture of what I am talking about.
Old 01-04-17, 11:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

IMO, nothing beats the Kuda unit:

http://www.kudausa.com/lexus-is-2503...lack-a993.html

Lou
Old 01-04-17, 11:56 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the CD holder mounts myself.

Waiting on a new mount to come in the mail that will clip onto my vents, but also has wireless charging. That way I will be able to set it up so Android Auto starts automatically when the phone is in the mount, and it will be charging! No plugs, no hassle!
Old 01-04-17, 12:13 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

This is a very good mount. It is a flexible Goose Neck and if your running TorquePro on a Small tablet and receiving live data it's awesome. It also holds a Mobile phone very well. You basically bolt it to where your front seat bolts to. If you not using it it can nicely bend out of the way and out of sight.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Ve...+tablet+holder
Old 01-04-17, 01:34 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Ashtray is my favorite. Remove chrome piece and boom! Got yourself a phone holder
Old 01-04-17, 07:00 PM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
I like the CD holder mounts myself.

Waiting on a new mount to come in the mail that will clip onto my vents, but also has wireless charging. That way I will be able to set it up so Android Auto starts automatically when the phone is in the mount, and it will be charging! No plugs, no hassle!
This. I bought this CD mount and it's short enough where your shift **** won't hit your phone when you shift into park. It also auto clamps your phone by just pushing your phone in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by istarzan; 01-07-17 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 09:08 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
Ashtray is my favorite. Remove chrome piece and boom! Got yourself a phone holder
That's where I keep my wallet! Very uncomfortable driving with it in the back pocket. For my phone I have the little universal holder that slides into the air vents. Works perfectly and at the perfect hight when I want to use GPS on my phone.
Old 01-04-17, 09:10 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
IMO, nothing beats the Kuda unit:

http://www.kudausa.com/lexus-is-2503...lack-a993.html

Lou
Not If you have a non nav car and u want to use GPS on your phone, it's way too low and pretty dangerous if you use it that way for GPS. I have a universal holder that slides perfectly into the air vents. Perfect hight
Old 01-04-17, 09:14 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I have a Nav car, but never use that feature. The phones GPS is so much better. And YES, I use it for navigation. It really isn't too low and certainly not dangerous. Putting it into the ash try slot or the cup holder is much more dangerous IMO. I've done both. And putting it in the air slots is too high, especially at night. For me, the Kuda is perfect. It keeps the phone near the charging plug and I can run a cord into the console and drive my speakers from the phone.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 01-04-17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 09:19 PM
P128sniper
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I have a Nav car, but never use that feature. The phones GPS is so much better. And YES, I use it for navigation. It really isn't too low and certainly not dangerous. Putting it into the ash try slot or the cup holder is much more dangerous IMO. I've done both. And putting it in the air slots is too high, especially at night. For me, the Kuda is perfect.

Lou
If it works it works, for me it would be way too low and it would bother me constantly having to look down, and yes cup holder of ash tray is dangerous, I keep my wallet in ash tray area and phone on air vent which is perfect height.
Old 01-05-17, 07:30 PM
Drawde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap smartphone holder on Amazon.ca

This one's good enough to hold the smartphone high enough. Good for Uber drivers =)

Should have one in Amazon.com for US buyers.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-05-17, 07:32 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Drawde
This one's good enough to hold the smartphone high enough. Good for Uber drivers =)

Should have one in Amazon.com for US buyers.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of those. It doesn't stay on the vent with my Samsung S7. Phone might too heavy, but it doesn't seem to grip the vents very well.
Old 01-05-17, 07:36 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Regardless of where you mount your phone, it is dangerous if you are doing anything besides the occasional button presses like for selecting music... at a stop light. For me, with the phone in the position where my fingers rest, I can use gestures easily without having to stare at the phone. I never use the phone while I am driving. Ever. There is no "perfect height" for you to do that. Your eyes need to be on the road.
Old 01-05-17, 08:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Thanks for the sermon The only time I use the phone while driving is:

1. Calling on speed dial using bluetooth.

2. Answering the phone using bluetooth.

3. Using the Navigation feature to guide me to an unfamiliar place. I do have factory Navigation, but it's a poor substitute for the phone Navigation.

But, IMO, the Kuda mount is perfect for using nav. If I'm not using the GPS, the phone stays in a holster attached to my belt.

And NO, I don't use my phone for music. The sound of the engine is music enough for me

Lou
Old 01-06-17, 05:07 AM
Drawde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The one from amazon.ca holds well on vent

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I have one of those. It doesn't stay on the vent with my Samsung S7. Phone might too heavy, but it doesn't seem to grip the vents very well.
thanks and noted.
The one I posted from amazon.ca from seller Niceshop does hold well on the AC vent of my is250 like a glue. I have one myself and use an iphone 6s and have logged > 50 uber driver trips already. Unfortunately the ones from other sellers like from your experience does not hold well.

Yes I agree that we should not be using the phone while driving. You would get a hefty fine if done in Canada I have to stop on the shoulder, click to accept the next ride and see where they are before proceeding for the next pickup. Hope this helps.

​​​​​​​Happy new year

Quick Reply: Found an interesting spot for the cell phone