IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Merry Christmas from my Lexus...NOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 12:12 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merry Christmas from my Lexus...NOT

So i replaced my Driver side Headlight Ballast about 10 months ago, and then about 5-6 months ago my Passenger side Headlight ballast went out so i repeated process and fixed that one. Now the Driver side one is failing again. I have been wondering if there is a different solution. Im so annoyed with taking apart my headlight and wiring up a new OE Ballast. Is it True that you can buy an HID Kit and use the that or do they still POWER off a functional OE Ballast...Im not an electrician nor a mechanic but i did figure out how to fix the headlights the first time using OE parts, but wondering if there is a more cost effective/aftermarket way to fix my headlight issue.

Any advice is helpful?
Old 12-24-16, 12:25 PM
shomci
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey, what were/are the symptoms?

mine had issues too and it turned out that new oem bulbs needed only. (110k km)
Old 12-24-16, 06:41 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Well the passenger side headlight seems to be working. I took the driver side bulb and put it on the Passenger side and it seemed to work so i guess it has to be the ballast. But then i guess it could be the fuse. I heard that both headlights are on separate fuses. i might try and test that theory tomorrow. There was no flickering or only working sometimes just flat out doesn't work
Old 12-25-16, 09:01 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems to be two fuses in the no 2 relay block, which is on the drivers side. You say sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't? If that is the case it shouldn't be a fuse. If the fuse blows then you won't get any power to the lamp until it is replaced. Toyota parts from the dealer are not much of a deal, but aftermarket ballasts are probably going to be poor quality unless you pay pretty good money for them. It seems to me unlikely that the ballast on one side would go, then the ballast on the other side. That would make me think there is a deeper problem. But they suggest lamps should only be replaced in pairs. Usually because if one is going, then the other is likely not far behind. So it is possible to me that if your lamp is on the verge, that one ballast might light it while the other will not. Do you know anyone with compatible hid lamps to try in your car? They are kind of expensive if that isn't the problem and there are a lot of fake parts out there. I decided to try some "knock off" hid's when I had a lamp go a couple of years ago. At least they sold under their own name and weren't stamping someone elses name on the lamp. They are still working and I kept the old one that hadn't gone as a spare, so I won't be dead if either of these go. But they are still going for now.
You could consider getting an inexpensive pair just to test.
Old 12-26-16, 02:35 AM
shomci
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by dci4life
Well the passenger side headlight seems to be working. I took the driver side bulb and put it on the Passenger side and it seemed to work so i guess it has to be the ballast. But then i guess it could be the fuse. I heard that both headlights are on separate fuses. i might try and test that theory tomorrow. There was no flickering or only working sometimes just flat out doesn't work
the issue I had is similar but not the same. here is what happened, hope it helps.

my passenger light flickered (really just a bit)
then after a while it started randomly turning off (computer did not notice me at all - unhappy)
switched bulbs, same issue and then the driver side started turning off.
searched through the forum and lot of posts said its the bulb. -ok i will be clever and cheap lets get aftermarket bulbs. morimoto xb 5500k. installed and after just one ride it started turning off, randomly.
I went to the dealer and asked for replacing the ballasts, they said that only can be replaced with the whole lamp unit for around 2000 usd a pair. I said fckoff for a 2007 car so I got 2 new ballasts from ebay trusted seller and replaced them for myself without taking the whole lamp assembly apart (steps: bumper off, lamps out, unscrew 4 screw which holds the ballast, take ballast apart, remove 2x solder joint and leave ignitor there -it is screwed to the lamp housing inside- resolder new ballast and put it back) it took an afternoon in the middle of the winter.
and after that I got the surprise which means the lights were flickering... this means morimoto bulbs were faulty. (they refused to refund me-never buy from them again)
I went back the dealers I told them what I did and they said the only thing I had to do is to replace the bulbs with originals. - thanks for the proper and quick info guys.
so I had them replace the 2 bulbs for around 200 usd and now it works like a charm. (oem)

these bulbs has limited lifetime, around 2000 hours. I suggest to go with the OEM bulb replacement first. if that does not help you still can change the ballasts for yourself. if you ever soldered 2 wires to each other and took off a bumper you can do this.
cheers
Old 12-29-16, 04:54 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Is anyone familiar with Retrofitting an aftermarket HID kit and not using the OEM ballast. I found a guy that wants to sell me a kit and do the labor for $250. It sounds a little outrageous. Im curious if i can just find a DIY and but a good aftermarket HID kit and do the work myself. Probably save $150-$180 (est spending about $60-$80 on a good aftermarket HID Kit). I just don't know much about wiring the new ballast to my car. Not sure which wire to tap into. Any info i can get is helpful...Hoping to get this done on my 3-day weekend.
Old 01-02-17, 01:52 AM
shomci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dci4life
Is anyone familiar with Retrofitting an aftermarket HID kit and not using the OEM ballast. I found a guy that wants to sell me a kit and do the labor for $250. It sounds a little outrageous. Im curious if i can just find a DIY and but a good aftermarket HID kit and do the work myself. Probably save $150-$180 (est spending about $60-$80 on a good aftermarket HID Kit). I just don't know much about wiring the new ballast to my car. Not sure which wire to tap into. Any info i can get is helpful...Hoping to get this done on my 3-day weekend.

where would you put the aftermarket ballast? because there is a place for the oem but i doubt that any aftermarket would fit perfectly. imperfection would cause lamp fogging.
Old 01-02-17, 06:10 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

Ive seen DIY's that help seal off the holes that are required to be drilled. Theres a couple products out there that i have read about that help aid with waterproofing when you do aftermarket drilling.