IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Changed out my transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 06:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Still looking at roughly a 10% increase in fuel mileage since my trickle flushes. It'll pay for itself in no time!
Old 02-07-17, 09:10 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Did the first drain and fill today on my 08 with 55k miles. 1.75 quarts of dark brown fluid came out. Will do it again next week
Old 02-07-17, 06:07 PM
Gville350

^Lower mileage 2IS there. Nice! Do you get new crush washers and new O-rings? Any hint of any burnt smell at all?
Old 02-07-17, 07:03 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Lower mileage 2IS there. Nice! Do you get new crush washers and new O-rings? Any hint of any burnt smell at all?
No, I dont usually change those out on any car. Never had any leaks. No burnt smell, just a bad color. I cant wait to get all of that out
Old 02-14-17, 08:54 AM
mabrodis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it, but was there an actual diagram or pictures about where the drain plug is (likely easy to find) and where the fill plug is on a '08 IS350 transmission?

I rolled my eyes at the "lifetime" stance by Lexus on the tranny oil. It should be renamed to "how long most people own a car", which is less than 100k miles...but that's not the life of the vehicle, it just usually goes to another owner....like me.

My IS350 drives great with 168k miles but I know I should probably change out as much of that fluid as I can. Asked a dealership to do it (Kuni Lexus in Denver) they said it was impossible and they would not even attempt it.
Old 02-14-17, 09:08 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

The fill plug is on the left side of the transmission, hidden by a plastic cover held on by two 10mm bolts. The plug will have "WS" on the head

The drain (14mm head) and check (hex head) bolts are on the bottom. Its obvious to differentiate between the two

I did my second drain and fill this past weekend. With the car on ramps and the front end raised, about 2.5 quarts came out. Still shifting great
Old 02-14-17, 09:44 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mabrodis
Maybe I missed it, but was there an actual diagram or pictures about where the drain plug is (likely easy to find) and where the fill plug is on a '08 IS350 transmission?

I rolled my eyes at the "lifetime" stance by Lexus on the tranny oil. It should be renamed to "how long most people own a car", which is less than 100k miles...but that's not the life of the vehicle, it just usually goes to another owner....like me.

My IS350 drives great with 168k miles but I know I should probably change out as much of that fluid as I can. Asked a dealership to do it (Kuni Lexus in Denver) they said it was impossible and they would not even attempt it.
Is there another local Lexus dealership that you can go to for this service? I was able to get a full flush performed on my transmission last month using their BG flush machine. If your dealership refuses to perform the service, try using this BG website to see if another shop is willing to do the flush for you. https://www.bgprod.com/find-a-shop/
Old 02-14-17, 02:46 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you the original owner and never replaced tranny fluid ? I would not flush it with that many miles on it if its original....
Old 02-21-17, 12:35 PM
mabrodis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kolyan
Are you the original owner and never replaced tranny fluid ? I would not flush it with that many miles on it if its original....
Not original owner...bought it with ~32k miles on it I think. A full flush may be a bit dramatic yes, though I do want to get some new fluid in there since we plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time and many miles more. Anyone know what's a rational ceiling for miles on a car like this? Most of my other vehicles were a bit more simplistic Toyota vehicles which had no issues making it to ~400k.
The following users liked this post:
kolyan (02-21-17)
Old 02-21-17, 01:27 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Did another drain and fill this past weekend. Will do one more. No signs of brown fluid anymore

Has anyone done this without doing the final temperature check? Been wondering if I should bother with checking the level. Transmission shifts normal
Old 02-21-17, 02:55 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Not original owner...bought it with ~32k miles on it I think. A full flush may be a bit dramatic yes, though I do want to get some new fluid in there since we plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time and many miles more. Anyone know what's a rational ceiling for miles on a car like this? Most of my other vehicles were a bit more simplistic Toyota vehicles which had no issues making it to ~400k.
Weird that many have dead trannies at 130-150k and others go to 170 with zero issues. I guess it depends on hway vs city driving....

I am close to 65k now and debating on doing it or not. Chances are I might not even keep the car till 150k miles.....just dont want any surprises and large repair bills past 100k
Old 02-21-17, 05:08 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Did another drain and fill this past weekend. Will do one more. No signs of brown fluid anymore

Has anyone done this without doing the final temperature check? Been wondering if I should bother with checking the level. Transmission shifts normal
The process is simple; why not to ensure it's at the proper level?

BEFORE FILLING TRANSMISSION

This transmission requires Toyota Genuine ATF WS.
It is necessary to refill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.
The vehicle must remain level while adjusting the transmission fluid level.

FILL TRANSMISSION PAN WITH FLUID

Remove the refill plug and overflow plug.
Fill the transmission through the refill hole until fluid begins to trickle out of the overflow tube.
Reinstall the overflow plug.

FILL TRANSMISSION

Fill the transmission with the correct amount of fluid.

Transmission pan and drain plug removal - 1.6 liters (1.69 US qts, 1.40 Imp. qts)

Reinstall the refill plug to avoid fluid splash.

HINT: If you cannot add the listed amount of fluid, do the following:
Install the refill plug.
Allow the engine to idle with the air conditioning OFF.
Move the shift lever through entire gear range to circulate fluid.
Wait for 30 seconds with the engine idling.
Stop the engine.
Remove the refill plug and add fluid.
Reinstall the refill plug.

CHECK FLUID TEMPERATURE

NOTICE: The fluid temperature can be confirmed by checking the D shift indicator in the meter. It is necessary to change to fluid temperature detection mode.
HINT: The fluid temperature should be less than 30°C (86°F) before beginning the fluid temperature check.

Connect terminals CG (4) and TC (13) of DLC3.
Start the engine.

NOTICE: Check that electrical systems such as the air conditioning system, audio system and lighting system are off.
HINT: Indicator lights of the meter blink to output DTCs when terminals TC and CG are connected.

Slowly move the shift lever from the P to the S position, Shift the gear from 1st to 6th and then return the shift lever return to P position.
Move the shift lever to D, and quickly move back and forth between N and D (once within 1.5 seconds) for at least 6 seconds. This will activate the fluid temperature detection mode.

NOTICE: D shift indicator remains illuminated for 2 seconds and then turns off.

Return the shift lever to P and disconnect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG).
Allow the engine to idle until the fluid temperature reaches 39 to 46°C (102 to 115°F).
The D shift indicator will come on again when the fluid temperature reaches 39°C (102°F) and will blink when it exceeds 46°C (115°F).

NOTICE: Perform the fluid level inspection while the D shift indicator is turned on.

CHECK FLUID LEVEL

NOTICE: The fluid temperature must be between 39°C (102°F) and 46°C (115°F) to accurately check the fluid level.

Remove the overflow plug with the engine idling.
Check that the fluid comes out of the overflow tube.
If fluid does not come out, proceed to the “REFILL TRANSMISSION WITH FLUID” procedures.
If fluid comes out, wait until the overflow slows to a trickle and proceed to the “AFTER FILLING TRANSMISSION” procedures.

REFILL TRANSMISSION WITH FLUID

Install the overflow plug.
Stop the engine.
Remove the refill plug.
Add 0.4 liters (0.42 US qts, 0.35 Imp. qts) of fluid.
Allow the engine to idle and wait for 10 seconds.
Proceed to the “CHECK FLUID LEVEL”.

AFTER FILLING TRANSMISSION

Install the overflow plug with a new gasket. Torque:15ft-lb
Stop the engine.
Install the refill plug with a new 0-ring. Torque: 29ft-lb
The following 2 users liked this post by Gville350:
BlckGhst (02-21-17), Mufis (01-02-18)
Old 02-22-17, 03:16 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Default Success

Got to do the final drain and fill with temperature check. Had access to a scanner and was able to monitor the temperature of the ATF. Overfilled it by half a quart, closed the fill plug, started the car cold, and waited until it got into the range of checking. At 107* I opened the check plug. ATF drained out until about 115* when it stopped almost completely. Thats when I put the check plug back on and tightened everything up. It really is simple
Old 02-27-17, 07:32 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Well I tried, I really did. Few dealers around me do not want to do it at all, and my local dealer warned me 3 times not to do it and gave me a whopping $600 price. I don't get what's with all the warnings and I thought the price is about $250 bucks? For $1500 I can probably install a new transmission if I even need one with less miles and new fluids, and maybe I won't need one at all since some go past 150k miles with zero issues, for me that's another 7 years or so....With the way things are going, I could be dead in 7 years or be driving a low miles Ferrari you never know
Old 02-27-17, 09:55 AM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Got my '06 IS350 at 109k miles. Currently has 145k miles on it. Been on the fence about replacing my tranny fluid. No tranny issues whatsover. Want to keep the car for as long as I can but would not want to tranny to go out on me sooner than I would hope. Dealer says don't change it. But most on this post obviously has attempted and gotten good results. Question is, now that the original fluid's been replaced, how often will you now need to replace the fluid?

Quick Reply: Changed out my transmission fluid