IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New shift knob idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-16, 02:36 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Default New shift **** idea

Just wanted to share my most recent project since it is very easy, quick and a great upgrade for the IS. For reference, I have already had a regular 2IS ****, F-sport and IS-F **** prior to this project. The problem they all have is they sit too high.

This is a stock Camry Shift **** (not sure of the year but match the picture) I had sitting around in the basement. The bottom chrome piece pops right off with a little wiggle/force. Then screw the **** down as far as possible, the top section will pop off (you want that). There will be a small piece of plastic that has broken since you screwed through it, just pull that off. Take the **** back off and either dremel of sand the bottom section of the chrome nearly even with the plastic underneath, I used a metal file to keep the 90 degree cut and clean line. Then just put it back together and screw back on. You can add a touch of glue/epoxy to hold things tight if you want but not needed. The **** sits lower than stock, doesn't hit the chrome in the shifter bezel and matches the trim pieces along the sides of the console.
Sorry for the poor quality photos, will post up better ones later.
Old 11-15-16, 03:02 PM
Koolsport
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting idea, some may like it...not my cup of tea though..I still prefer the OEM shift **** and think the chrome & leather looks classy and matches the chrome trim around the shift plate, shaft, cd player and ***** etc. If you twist it a bit more it will sit lower..
Old 11-15-16, 04:39 PM
MAizz
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Koolsport
Interesting idea, some may like it...not my cup of tea though..I still prefer the OEM shift **** and think the chrome & leather looks classy and matches the chrome trim around the shift plate, shaft, cd player and ***** etc. If you twist it a bit more it will sit lower..
Yeah I think the IS-F **** you have pictured is the best looking OEM one which is what I had on before this one, but it wont screw down nearly as far as this or even the F-sport one. My issue with the F-sport **** was that it bumps into the chrome surround on the shift gate. The height this sits at actually makes a change in the feel of shifting, seems a bit sportier to me. This is an OEM Toyota part (modified of course), pictures may not be clear but it has chrome along the bottom ring and leather on the main portion, just not as aesthetically pleasing as the IS-F. Cost weighing in too, this is ~$20 on eBay versus the ~$60+ for IS-F or F-sport.