IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So what do you guys do about Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 07:11 AM
UnderCover
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default So what do you guys do about Transmission Fluid?

So okay, I know it's sealed, it's not suppose to be serviced, but there's no such thing as Life Time Fluid, so that begs the question....How are you guys handling this? I have just under 80k on my 2007 so I should be fine, but I want to start having a strategy for changing out the fluid sometime in the next 10k.
Old 11-01-16, 08:37 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm pretty sure dealership has to do it.. I think I read somewhere they have a machine that hooks up and pumps the fluid in and out

I could be wrong tho
Old 11-01-16, 08:53 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I asked this same exact question when I went in to buy an oil filter at the dealership last week.

The parts guy told me nothing is lifetime and even though its a closed system the fluid should still be changed.
Old 11-01-16, 09:08 AM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Zynthe
I asked this same exact question when I went in to buy an oil filter at the dealership last week.

The parts guy told me nothing is lifetime and even though its a closed system the fluid should still be changed.
Good guy parts guy knows what he's talking about. Nothing is lifetime. The tranny fluid is one of the hardest working fluids in your car, it is subject to deterioration as is everything else. I would definitely change it, the fluid has some life left at the 100-120k mark but I wouldn't push it. If you plan on DIY'ing, you will only get about 2 quarts if you drop the pan as you can't exactly flush it at home. Entire system capacity is 7.5-8 quarts. I would just find a dealer with a fluid exchange machine (and make sure you emphasize that, or they might just drain and refill it and probably charge you 150-200 for 2 quarts of fluid), IIRC I paid about $300 for it to be done around 97k.

It seems relatively common around here that some issues spring up around 150k-ish on our tranny if the fluid isn't changed, but just remember, those who have problems are always more vocal than those that don't.
Old 11-01-16, 09:12 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll probably be trying it this way, instead of spending hundreds at the dealer and avoiding feeling uneasy about someone else working on my vehicle. I have access to a Snap-On scanner which should be able to read the temperature of the fluid. Seems pretty easy to do a few times to replace most of the fluid

Old 11-01-16, 11:09 AM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer did mine at 90K but it wasn't cheap from what I recall. I've always done it myself so the closed system really threw me for a loop. If you have the skills, I'd try that video BlckGhst is linking. Seems like the most affordable option.
Old 11-01-16, 12:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'll be doing this job myself over my Christmas break. I'll probably end up getting a case of 12 and doing this procedure over my 2 weeks over and over, until I've gone through all 12qts : http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261896554429?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Old 11-01-16, 02:18 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

To those who changed their fluid at what mileage did you do so?
Old 11-01-16, 08:11 PM
ezbmr
Driver

It is a shame that most are sealed systems. My ex had like a 04 Volvo S60. I took it to a local oil change place. They guy must have hated his boss. He opened the drain plug, let the old stuff out. Filled it with 3 qts of Amsoil ATF and only charged $35. Being that it wasn't sealed, I could have done it at home. Last time I had a car done, it was around $200 with dropping the oil pan and replacing the filter. I would imagine there is a filter on the IS.

If you can, do it at 50k, if not 100k, if not then, whenever. The fresher the better.
Old 11-02-16, 06:22 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by ezbmr
I would imagine there is a filter on the IS.
I have an Aisin A760E New Features PDF that's for the Toyota Tundra RWD model but I think it's the same unit used in the IS350 (except without the optional ATF Cooler).

From reviewing the diagrams, the A760E does have an oil strainer to catch debris.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A760E_Automatic_Transmission.pdf (816.0 KB, 279 views)
Old 11-02-16, 06:53 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Total capacity is 9.6 quarts of oil I believe and yes it does have a filter, I've taken 2 A760E transmissions apart.
Old 11-02-16, 08:21 AM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redspencer
I have an Aisin A760E New Features PDF that's for the Toyota Tundra RWD model but I think it's the same unit used in the IS350 (except without the optional ATF Cooler).

From reviewing the diagrams, the A760E does have an oil strainer to catch debris.
Wow, the Tundra uses a closed system too? You learn something new everyday.
Old 11-02-16, 09:08 AM
UnderCover
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha yes I actually saw that GS 350 Video on Reddit and so I came over here and bought it up. I also was thinking about just doing the 2.5 quarts and then running the car for a few miles and then doing the process like 3 or 4 times to get some new fluid in there. I just don't know if I trust a dealer saying they changed all the fluid, and what if they didn't take care of my car and didn't put in enough fluid? There's no way to check!

So let's see, assuming from one of the posters above, 9.6 Quarts right? Replace 2 quarts roughly each time from the drain pain? Doing this 3 or 4 times is gonna suck, but I think it's a necessary evil...
Old 11-02-16, 10:27 AM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderCover
I just don't know if I trust a dealer saying they changed all the fluid, and what if they didn't take care of my car and didn't put in enough fluid? There's no way to check!
Thats exactly how I feel. The only person I trust on my cars is myself. lol. I've been doing more reading about other Toyota sealed transmissions, and it really does sound like a simple job. Only drawback is of course, removing only a small amount of fluid at a time, but I dont mind that as long as the job gets done right. I will definitely be doing this myself

This is a chart for the temperature ranges for checking the fluid on various Lexus vehicles, in case it helps anyone

Name:  20161102_101538%20Medium_zpsw7fa5h8t.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  106.7 KB
Old 11-02-16, 11:08 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer

I like how they state this oil strainer is maintenance free in that PDF.

Quick Reply: So what do you guys do about Transmission Fluid?