IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So what do you guys do about Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-16, 11:25 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlckGhst
Thats exactly how I feel. The only person I trust on my cars is myself. lol. I've been doing more reading about other Toyota sealed transmissions, and it really does sound like a simple job. Only drawback is of course, removing only a small amount of fluid at a time, but I dont mind that as long as the job gets done right. I will definitely be doing this myself
Same here. Any time I let someone else work on my car, damage gets done and it causes me a bigger headache than just doing the work myself.

Just sounds like a pretty big hassle to get under the car and drain so many times to make a significant difference.
Old 11-02-16, 08:25 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
To those who changed their fluid at what mileage did you do so?
Did my at 85k miles and the oils was black, brown color. Just like the vdo drain 1.7 quart and fill 1.7 quart.
Old 11-02-16, 10:10 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wait, so you guys are all saying we SHOULD change the fluid out now? I remember going through countless threads about this topic and it almost always ended up in a toss up regarding this matter. I don't wanna have to spend money if I don't have to. But I will if I must..

So what is it guys? Change or not? I heard you can't change all the fluid so it's essentially pointless but then again I hear the opposite as well. I honestly don't get why Toyota/Lexus made this so needlessly complicated.
​​​
Old 11-03-16, 04:12 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by UnderCover
So okay, I know it's sealed, it's not suppose to be serviced, but there's no such thing as Life Time Fluid, so that begs the question....How are you guys handling this? I have just under 80k on my 2007 so I should be fine, but I want to start having a strategy for changing out the fluid sometime in the next 10k.
Originally Posted by Rezno
To those who changed their fluid at what mileage did you do so?
Originally Posted by Tro209
Wait, so you guys are all saying we SHOULD change the fluid out now? I remember going through countless threads about this topic and it almost always ended up in a toss up regarding this matter. I don't wanna have to spend money if I don't have to. But I will if I must..

So what is it guys? Change or not? I heard you can't change all the fluid so it's essentially pointless but then again I hear the opposite as well. I honestly don't get why Toyota/Lexus made this so needlessly complicated.
​​​
I had mine changed and analyzed.

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
Old 11-03-16, 07:11 AM
Zynthe
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 355F1
I had mine changed and analyzed.

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
This is good info.

Good to know after 100k ish the fluid was still up to par.
Old 11-03-16, 01:14 PM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnderCover
Haha yes I actually saw that GS 350 Video on Reddit and so I came over here and bought it up. I also was thinking about just doing the 2.5 quarts and then running the car for a few miles and then doing the process like 3 or 4 times to get some new fluid in there. I just don't know if I trust a dealer saying they changed all the fluid, and what if they didn't take care of my car and didn't put in enough fluid? There's no way to check!

So let's see, assuming from one of the posters above, 9.6 Quarts right? Replace 2 quarts roughly each time from the drain pain? Doing this 3 or 4 times is gonna suck, but I think it's a necessary evil...
The only thing that would suck more than doing that 3 or 4 times would be the amount of cash you'd have to pay for labor for how long it would take the dealer to do it!
Old 11-03-16, 01:16 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should change it at 100k Miles.
Old 11-04-16, 08:58 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, 80k KM or 90K miles, change your diff and trans case too, Transmission fluid > in my experience with Lexus IS for long enough time, there is no such flush trans fluid, you have to do it at least 2 times in a month or 3 times in 2 months to get all the old fluid out and then once per year every year on and on because after 100km which is after 5 years your gears will not be the same like new therefore all fluid must be changed even your brake fluid etc, dealership will just drain and fill but dealer has a trick that can do better requires 2 persons which regular shop don't know, Transfer and Diff case are fine 1 person can drain and refill but transmission is something that you should do it with knowledge, some people don't care so they just do whatever works for them but if you do care let dealership do your transmission fluid.

You can't flush IS transmission only do step by step with patience the only thing you can do is replace the trans filter if you want but you don't have to, i'm sure after 2-3 times doing this your transmission will shift better smoother especially for those who has slippage and jerking. Nothing is lifetime !