IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How many miles is too many?

Old 10-25-16, 12:44 PM
JMcHugh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles is too many?

I was looking at purchasing a used 2006 is350 and I'm finding a lot of cars with 150,000+ miles for pretty cheap, is that too many for a car this old, this would be my first Lexus. Anything to look out for? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-25-16, 01:23 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

These engines will outlast the rest of the car as long as it's cared for. TBH, as long as he has documented the entire maintenace history, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IMO, if money/mileage is a huge concern, I'd look for something with less miles/newer. Not trying to put you off from it, but its something to think about.
Old 10-25-16, 02:33 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If maintenance was on time, it should easily do another 150k with no problems. Make sure you have all or most maintenance records. Personally even if I knew this I would never buy a car with a high mileage, which is why it took me so long to get mine. As for possible problems, maybe dash rattles, maybe the GPS (if it comes with one) could die out soon. But that is about it for common things that could happen.
Old 10-25-16, 02:50 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Like its been said, the main concerns are not so much the engine or transmission, but other things that arise after a lot of years and miles (rattles, navigation, Check Engine lights, paint imperfections, etc)

I've bought high mileage cars before, but they were not high end vehicles with tons of electronics and computers. Im glad I found mine with low miles
Old 10-25-16, 04:12 PM
CharonRega
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if it's pretty cheap, go for it. Like they said, it all comes down to proper maintenance but most people I know are good to there IS's.
Old 10-25-16, 06:04 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

be aware of the Transmission. Its been brought up lately in the forum for tranny issues. at 150k mile for sure there will be some issue with the transmissions. lots of threads in this forum that proves they are having the same issues. mine is slipping on 3rd. its at 155k miles. don't want to deal with the hassle of tranny rebuilt or replace.
Old 10-25-16, 06:17 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

High miles aren't a bad thing as long as the car has been cared for. I bought my 06 IS350 at 160k but being a one owner, along with the amount of service records from the dealer alone was astounding. It also was owned by an old man which helps.

It is difficult to be a penny pincher AND maintain these vehicles correctly.
Old 10-25-16, 07:46 PM
ezbmr
Driver

The tranny issue sounds like a problem. I talked to the guy who has a 07 with 115k and he mentioned that his car has a sealed transmission. Makes me want to crack it open as soon as it is in my hands.
Old 10-25-16, 10:04 PM
aventur2
Rookie

As long as the car is in good shape and has some service history don't worry about the longevity. Remember it is a Toyota built to an even higher standard.
Old 10-26-16, 03:02 AM
loco562
Driver School Candidate

i have 211k on my 06 IS350
Old 10-26-16, 11:02 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Keo
be aware of the Transmission. Its been brought up lately in the forum for tranny issues. at 150k mile for sure there will be some issue with the transmissions. lots of threads in this forum that proves they are having the same issues. mine is slipping on 3rd. its at 155k miles. don't want to deal with the hassle of tranny rebuilt or replace.
I heard the transmissions will only have trouble if the car was driven really hard consistently and if the fluid wasn't changed out every once in a while. I think the latter is what causes problems. Fluid isn't designed to go 150k+ without being changed unless I'm mistaken..
Old 10-26-16, 03:23 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
I heard the transmissions will only have trouble if the car was driven really hard consistently and if the fluid wasn't changed out every once in a while. I think the latter is what causes problems. Fluid isn't designed to go 150k+ without being changed unless I'm mistaken..
People here on this forum have Track/Drag there is350's. but yet to here them announce any CEL tranny codes, but then theres people that have less then 100k and gotten these issues before. No follow up on the conclusion result but most likely those people with the tranny problem either got there Tranny Rebuilt for the solenoid, new torque converter, replace, and sold the car.

Im guilty for being a spirited driver. Sometimes i want to hit that gas petal on a good stretch or corner roads. These tranny should be built to withstand some beating. I heard its even used on different model for racing spec purpose, correct if im wrong.
Old 10-26-16, 03:29 PM
Tketrns
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ezbmr
The tranny issue sounds like a problem. I talked to the guy who has a 07 with 115k and he mentioned that his car has a sealed transmission. Makes me want to crack it open as soon as it is in my hands.
Why would you want to crack the transmission open? or ...... I went to transmission place and sure enough the man refused to change my fluid. He said he had a 2001 is300 he did not recommend me changing the transmission fluid at all. Has anyone Changed their transmission fluid and if so what miles?

Definitely get the best value/car ratio you can for your money. I love the 2nd gen is 350 is was looking to replace my car with another one just for fun, their are so many to choose from, but you may have to travel. If the car is not super scratched up and the interior still looks like it hasn't been worn down, especially the driver side door and the dashboard.
Old 10-26-16, 08:08 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Keo
People here on this forum have Track/Drag there is350's. but yet to here them announce any CEL tranny codes, but then theres people that have less then 100k and gotten these issues before. No follow up on the conclusion result but most likely those people with the tranny problem either got there Tranny Rebuilt for the solenoid, new torque converter, replace, and sold the car.

Im guilty for being a spirited driver. Sometimes i want to hit that gas petal on a good stretch or corner roads. These tranny should be built to withstand some beating. I heard its even used on different model for racing spec purpose, correct if im wrong.
Well of course not every transmission is the same. Some can last forever taking abuse and others will die at 70k miles without pushing the car. I was just saying based on what I read on a few posts and some other research I did.

No idea it was used in model racing. I wonder if it is the same unit.. and if it is tuned to shift faster...
Old 10-26-16, 08:37 PM
DRivera250
Lexus Champion

Look for a 350. I have a 07 250 running into transmission problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many miles is too many?